[Testing Update] 2019-12-19 - Kernels, Systemd 242, PHP, KDE Frameworks, Mesa

Software ones given that all of the issues were resolved by downgrading systemd. We even had a arch person switch to Manjaro's systemd because Arch's is causing kernel panics.

Ditto. Fwiw.

Hi!

Akonadi doesn't start any more on the KDE version after this upgrade.

It states that can not connect to mysqld.

Unfortunately I can not give you a more detailed error message, as I had to downgrade again immediately - akonadi / kontact was the one thing that I really need right now.

This may be relevant. Hope it helps.

If it is related to useless and unsecure universal packages... Well, I think I will close my account, don't need it anymore.

Wishing the best to Manjaro.

Related to which software / hardware ?

I got the same disconnection issue after updating, but not after 15 minutes.... more after 30 minutes. Got it several times. I have downgraded Networkmanager to 1.20.8 as you suggested and it seems to work without issues again.

Well, that's the big question I guess. First we suspected it only happens on ryzen based machines but that seems not to be true.

2 Likes

I was able to usually run simultaneously two VBox installs with no problem, and no system hang. With 3 or 4 instances my system could experience some hangs and run slower, but was manageable. Now i get

ANOM_ABEND auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1001 ses=1 subj==unconfined pid=26402 comm="SHCLX11" exe="/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBoxVM" sig=11 res=1

And the running VBox just aborts. Never experienced this and found nothing about it.

1 Like

System freeze after a while with 5.4 as well.
Kernel 4.19 runs fine, so I'll keep this one active until the fix.

1 Like

@all

When my GNOME Desktop begins to appear
there are (only shortly!) some (5) green "diagonal stripes" across the monitor.
(like a green flash)
After one former update the "stripes" did not appear any longer.
After this update I have "stripes" again.
--> I do not like this "green stripes" - how to get rid of them?

@Citroen

No issues with Colonel 5.4 here..

Whats about probs regarding extra-modules? As I do not use any...

First we suspected it only happens on ryzen based machines but that seems not to be true.

Yes, my ryzen machine is o.K. Whats about extra-modules making Colonel Panik :man_pilot:
(I do not use extra-modules....)
(dont panic now - count to ten)

No clue.
Can't contribute much to find the root cause since I am not affected by the issue.

1 Like

Do you have any evidence that problems with systemd could be related to Snap or Flatpak?

I don't know but honestly, I doubt it. Like for the "/oldroot" issue that some users had with Systemd > 242, there is a ticket on Arch Linux bug tracker that describe the same problem since September, and seems not to have been fixed yet.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63697

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read the subtle "if" in the beginning.

not affected by the issue

Mee too

Here is my CPU on my desktop PC:

fred@fredo-arch-mate ~ % lscpu | grep 'Model name:'
Model name:                      AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics

Driver?

fred@fredo-arch-mate ~ % pacman -Qi xf86-video-amdgpu | grep Version
Version         : 19.1.0-1

Kernel?

fred@fredo-arch-mate ~ % uname -a 
Linux fredo-arch-mate 5.4.5-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 18 Dec 2019 19:48:51 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I had a lot of trouble getting GPU working correctly between Linux 4.15.x until 4.18.x.

If it helps, here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "AMD"
    Driver "amdgpu"
    Option "TearFree" "true"
    Option "DRI" "3"
    Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
EndSection

And last but not the least, systemd version:

fred@fredo-arch-mate ~ % pacman -Qi systemd | grep Version
Version                  : 244.1-1

So, is it Ryzen only? Are other hardware or software dependency related to bugs?

1 Like

Update went fine on Manjaro KDE.
I did had weird sound issues on one computer with 5.3 and 5.4 kernels and went back to 4.19, but it was solved with the latest ones.

:: libdmx was not found in AUR -- skipping
:: xf86-input-keyboard was not found in AUR -- skipping
:: xf86-input-mouse was not found in AUR -- skipping

It's like this since recent update from Unstable. I don't know if these packages are safe to remove then?

1 Like

audit event ANOM_ABEND is triggered by (virtualbox's) abnormal end (sig=11 is SIGSEGV) (see https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/security_guide/sec-audit_record_types).

Did you overcommit resources (cpu cores and/or ram)?

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by