[Testing Update] 2019-12-16 - KDE-git, Systemd v244.1, Upstream Rebuilds

Maybe, as I also have a Ryzen here.

After my bisect the issue is:

5 Likes

My two systems on Testing are still alive after going on systemd 244. Those systems are laptops, one with an Intel CPU and an Intel GPU, the other one is an old system with an AMD A8-4500M.

Note that those systems are not deeply customized. They are simple Manjaro Cinnamon systems installed on a single ext4 partition.

[frog@ideapad ~]$ neofetch
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   frog@ideapad 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   ------------ 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Host: 80SM Lenovo ideapad 310-15ISK 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ            β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Kernel: 5.4.3-1-MANJARO 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Uptime: 4 mins 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Packages: 1088 (pacman) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Shell: bash 5.0.11 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Resolution: 1280x720 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   DE: Cinnamon 4.4.4 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Teal (Mint-Y-Dark) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Theme: Mint-Y-Darker-Teal [GTK2/3] 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Icons: Papirus-Maia [GTK2/3] 
                               Terminal: gnome-terminal 
                               CPU: Intel i5-6200U (4) @ 2.800GHz 
                               GPU: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] 
                               Memory: 711MiB / 7869MiB 

[frog@ideapad ~]$ 

[frog@k55n ~]$ neofetch
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   frog@k55n 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   --------- 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Host: K55N 1.0 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ            β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Kernel: 5.3.16-1-MANJARO 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Uptime: 27 mins 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Packages: 1086 (pacman) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Shell: bash 5.0.11 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Resolution: 1280x720 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   DE: Cinnamon 4.4.4 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Teal (Mint-Y-Dark) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Theme: Mint-Y-Darker-Teal [GTK2/3] 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Icons: Papirus-Maia [GTK2/3] 
                               Terminal: gnome-terminal 
                               CPU: AMD A8-4500M APU (4) @ 1.900GHz 
                               GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 7640G 
                               Memory: 738MiB / 3390MiB 

[frog@k55n ~]$ 

that alone seems to not qualify for triggering the crash. I don't have the crashes on my Ryzen 2700X system. Did not yet test my Ryzen 3500U system though.

At least @mbod and @philm have nvidia GPU's in their Ryzen systems. I did not check other reporters. Might that be another limiting trigger reason? As in: I have an AMD GPU in my Ryzen system and don't have those crashes.

When I review the crashes r8168 pops up. However that only happens on 419, 53,54 and 55 kernel series. This is really a weird issue.

I also don't have that one. My mainboard has an Intel network chip.

Will check my ThinkPad 3500U as soon as I get home as it might have that driver (not sure because I never used the LAN network - it's WiFi works flawless)
Edit: According to Google research, my ThinkPad should either use r8168 or r8169 - will be an interesting test this evening.

No problems encountered on ryzen 1.st gen build (ab350m gaming3 with bios f41, the newest bios f50d was causing random restarts).

No issues.

I had an issue (might be related to a previous update) around amdgpu with a hybrid graphics and connecting to an external display. I am using the modsetting drivers for intel and amdgpu.

I was unable to see an HDMI display registered on my laptop (Lenovo TinkPad E590) after the update. As far as I am aware the HDMI port is connected to the GPU. For anyone that is having issues with amdgpu please look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting#Early_KMS_start

my mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES=(i915 amdgpu)

Previously MODULES was not assigned.

After changing the config and rebooting my issue was fixed.

If anyone had a similar experience, please reply and then we can add it as a wiki.

i have the same motherboard but f50d
does not cause any issues for me with amd ryzen 5 3400g
though im using linux-amd-raven kernel.
and not manjaro kernel.

Unrelated question, I have seen that CONFIG_NVME_HWMON, that one that enables kernel nvme temperature monitoring, is not set in kernel 5.5rc2, will it be set in the future?

@philm: My ThinkPad uses the r8168 driver and a Ryzen CPU, and does NOT have the crash ....
Hardware Details found here:

i don't seem to have the issue on my 3800x with 244 on 5.4 - at least i don't notice anything ^^

Hello, following the update of protobuf, compiz is broken. Thank you for rebuilding compiz-manjaro.

1 Like

Restart was fine, but cold boot ended with black screen. After entering tty and reboot i'm in desktop again (chose the fallback kernel option).

Hello philm, I found this solution at Ubuntu. Worked for me with Pop!_OS 19.10. Maybe a suggestion for a solution.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-19.10-Radeon-RX-5700
Maybe it'll help.
Here are my dates:

Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] vendor: Huawei driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 1002:15dd 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu compositor: gnome-shell resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.33.0 5.3.0-7625-generic LLVM 9.0.0) 
           v: 4.5 Mesa 20.0.0-devel (git-046097c 2019-11-21 eoan-oibaf-ppa) direct render: Yes
``
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 8086:24fd

Uhh.. we're good here mate, unlike Ubuntu we don't find workarounds for not updating, we just update. Navi user here

On the Thinkpad T420s with Manjaro I don't have such problems. :wink:

No issues here. Intel CPU and GPU. I don't experience the /oldroot warning either. I have btrfs as my filesystem. Maybe the /oldroot warning affects only one specific filesystem.

The same here. Everything running fine on my gnome desktop (unstable branch) with AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and AMD RX580 card.

No crash here, on a clevo W230sd with hybrid intel/nvidia (gtx 960m) gpu and intel processor. But the possibility to hibernate is gone.

To be more specific: when I click on the disconnect button of my session (xfce), the choices "hibernation" or "mixed suspend" are gone. Though it was systemd, so I removed the systemd hook from mkinitpcio.conf. Rebooted, no dice.

Hibernation is done on a swap file and the relevant kernel parameters are correct (double checked before posting).
This is what journalctl --system | grep /home/swapfile gives me:

dΓ©c. 18 00:54:03 laptop systemd[1]: Activating swap /home/swapfile...
dΓ©c. 18 00:54:04 laptop systemd[1]: Activated swap /home/swapfile.
dΓ©c. 18 00:54:04 laptop kernel: Adding 8388604k swap on /home/swapfile. Priority:-2 extents:44 across:37314556k FS

But passing systemctl hibernate results in:

dΓ©c. 18 01:01:28 laptop systemd-logind[1095]: Failed to open /home/swapfile: No such file or directory

So, apparently the swapfile is actived as it should, but somehow, forgotten in the process…

Forum kindly sponsored by