Temporary SMPlayer crashed after clicking Titlebar to move the Window

I can not reproduce this issue.

Which multimedia engine is used by the SMPlayer? I know it use mpv or mplayer.
What is the output driver in the “Preferences” → “General” → “Video”?

Do you have the SMPlayer log?
(The SMPlayer has its own log file in ~/.config/smplayer/smplayer_log.txt . If not, you have to enable “Save SMPlayer log to file” in the “preferences” → “Advanced” → “Logs”.)
Or you run smplayer in the console. You will see the error log after SMPlayer crashing.

Sorry for the late answer, im using MPV Engine.

I had logging deactivated, but im reactivating it right now… i got several crashes again, i will report back soon when i have a crash…
but right now it runs stable, this is really temporary… i have no clue why it crashes sometimes and why not.

This log file does not show error.

Can you answer this question:

1 Like

Preferences” → “General” → “Video” → “Output driver: DEFAULT

how do i run smplayer in the console?

Edit: I just found out, i just typed smplayer in terminal xD

Try to change Default to vdpau if you are using NVIDIA GPU.

1. Open the terminal e.g. konsole or yakuake
  2. Enter a command smplayer in this terminal.
  3. It will open SMPLayer to show messages
1 Like

Now it won’t crash again and i don’t changed anything besides activating logs… i report later back too you… i need to go afk.

Im using nvidia GPU and I will change to vdpau after it crashed again.

Its crashed but not much information there:

[koboldx@koboldx-z170 ~]$ smplayer
This is SMPlayer v. 21.10.0 (revision 10000) running on Linux
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Im also experience the same instability issue with vdpau. :disappointed_relieved:

It chould be that KDE crashes SMPlayer. I do not know what you did wrong in the KDE profile or system.
Try creating a new profile in KDE (using the default theme) and check SMPlayer if there is no issue.

I only updated the KDE stable version from 27.03 and downloaded another small lib packages 2 days after… and it crashed out of nowhere, without any other changes.

I could use smplayer the full day yesterday, openend it 2 times (at the same time) and never closed it… for 10 hours i was watching alot videos, no problem at all. Then i just closed both windows and openend it again and put a video file per drag und drop and… it crashed!!!

Im experience many strange KDE bugs on other program’s, when im using openvpn and minimize into taskbar and i want to open taskbar menu few sec later, the openvpn menue pops up, but the minized icon is in the oposite corner and this menue should only come on with right click on openvpn… but i did left click and no where close to openvpn icon.

Im experience the worst Manjaro/KDE Stable update since im using Manjaro KDE (since 16month ago).

Im really don’t want to create a new profile, i did alot customizations on my Desktop and it was alot work… im pretty sure it will take atleast 10hours to reconfig everything.

Maybe i should use Timeshift and rollback to the latest snapshot (10 days ago) and patch again? Problem is the newest firefox update just showed up, also with alot new bugs and i wanted to evade it.

I just saw that the newest Firefox version can’t play Videos with hardware acceleration… there is really alot buggy releases going on this 2 weeks :cold_face:

You can set up new Manjaro KDE with btrfs snapshots in VM and then compare it with your KDE system, which problem will be detected. This might be easy for you.

I never used a VM befor and i have no unused drive for a btrfs partition available.

This sounds like alot to work to get it running, not everyone is playing with VM’s.

Are you using your SMPlayer on Manjaro KDE? Is this may the reason why you can’t reproduce it?

Which “style” are you using under Preferences → Interface → Style

EDIT: Ah nuts. SMPlayer is randomly crashing for me too, under KDE. Fresh SMPlayer installation, fresh config profile.

It seems more likely to occur when clicking on menu/interface buttons or even changing the Style and clicking Apply. It’s like a random roll of the dice each time. Sometimes I’ll be lucky for a long time, and sometimes it’ll just crash.

1 Like

Yes

• I tried to move the window of SMPlayer playing video into my other monitor, nothing happened.
  • Resized the window, nothing happened.
  • Drap&Drop other video file into SMPlayer, nothing happened.

But my setting of SMPlayer is custom a long time ago .

• Disabled “Main toolbar” in the “Options” → “Toolbars”
  • Preferences → General → General → Multimedia engine /usr/local/bin/mpv that I created.
#!/usr/bin/env bash 

unset LD_PRELOAD # Ignore custom LD_PRELOPAD that can break mpv by Vivaldi.
/usr/bin/mpv "$@"

• Interface → GUI: “Basic GUI”, Icon set: “Classic”, Style: “Breeze”
  • No optional dependence e.g. smplayer-themes , smplayer-skins
1 Like

Im using Fusion.

Finally im not alone… this is exactly what SMPlayer did too me. A Roll of dice crash… sometimes its just works and sometimes i have several crashes in a row.

Play a video and click on the Titlebar and move the window… The chance is good for a crash.

I will change style to breeze like you… i hope its related with fusion.

Im using this settings since 16month and never changed anything.

GUI: Skinnable GUI
Skin: Modern
Style:Fusion

Adjusted

Im using the default: /usr/bin/mpv

why do you using a “Local” Folder?

I have no clue what that command good for… could you explain it for what reason are you using that?

Everything adjust… besides Smplayer-skins is installed, but i have no clue if i have optional depencies.

I still archive crashes after adjusting everything compared to your settings.

It is not important if you do not use Vivaldi to open SMPlayer.

Pacman can check if you installed the optional dependencies:

pacman -Qi smplayer-skins smplayer-themes

I do not use these dependencies.

The last Stable Update fixed my issue. The player is no longer crashing.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.