[Testing Update] 2019-09-17 - Kernels, KDE-Framework, KDE-Dev, Gnome 3.34 Apps, Browser

Hello community,

I am happy to announce another Testing Update. Mostly we have Kernels, KDE and needed rebuilds with this one.

Pamac 9.0 supports now snaps as a plugin

Update news

This update holds the following changes:

• Beginning with Pamac 9.0 series, we now support snaps via a plugin
  • Most of our Kernels got updated
  • Most Gnome Apps got updated to 3.34 series. Updating the shell might take longer.
  • KDE Framework is now at 5.62 and we updated most or our KDE-git packages
  • Some Browser got updated as needed
  • Manjaro 18.1.0 got released today. Please test and give us feedback.
  • Latest efforts by KDE can be reviewed via our current KDE-Dev ISO or current KDE-Vanilla ISO

Give us the usual feedback and let us know what you think about this update.

Current supported Kernels

• linux316 3.16.73
  • linux44 4.4.193 (no legacy nvidia-340 module!)
  • linux49 4.9.193
  • linux414 4.14.144
  • linux419 4.19.74
  • linux51 5.1.21 [EOL]
  • linux52 5.2.15 (no catalyst module!)
  • linux53 5.3.0 (not all modules build yet!)
  • linux419-rt 4.19.72_rt25
  • linux52-rt 5.2.14_rt7

Package Updates (Tue Sep 17 08:34:35 CEST 2019)

• testing community x86_64: 511 new and 506 removed package(s)
  • testing core x86_64: 19 new and 20 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 343 new and 399 removed package(s)
  • testing multilib x86_64: 16 new and 15 removed package(s)

A list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

10 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Changes made to Grub 2.04-6

Due to some bugs with the Fedora patches in regard of BTRFS we are using now the Ubuntu approach to hide the menu via GRUB_TIMEOUT.

These are the current options to style the timeout:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=countdown
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

You may want to double-check your settings in /etc/default/grub

We also provide a new package called grub-vanilla. Learn more about it here.

Thunderbird 68.0 disabled my extensions!

Thunderbird 68 changes the way extensions work in line with Firefox 68. This will mean incompatible extensions are disabled.

The Thunderbird developers have made it as easy as possible for extensions developers to update the extensions to get them working again.

However, it will take time for extensions to 1) be updated and 2) make their way onto AMO for download.

You have two basic choices:

1. Add IgnorePkg = thunderbird to your /etc/pacman.conf until your "critical" extension is updated
  2. Keep checking for updates for your "critical" extension, and possibly pester the developer to update it

Option 2 is the more proactive.

pip behaves differently

pip now includes by default the --user flag for all operations.

Asian/CJK characters display as blocks

Install noto-fonts-cjk or another font of your choice. The problem seems related to a ttf-droid update.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63205

libbloom>=1.6-2 update requires manual intervention

(Taken from Arch Linux website, 2019-07-11 by Felix Yan. Source: https://www.archlinux.org/news/libbloom16-2-update-requires-manual-intervention/)

The libbloom package prior to version 1.6-2 was missing a soname link. This has been fixed in 1.6-2, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked soname link created by ldconfig. If you get an error

libbloom: /usr/lib/libbloom.so.1 exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Suy --overwrite usr/lib/libbloom.so.1

to perform the upgrade.

tensorflow>=1.14.0-5 update requires manual intervention

From Konstantin Gizdov on August 20, 2019

The tensorflow packages prior to version 1.14.0-5 were missing some soname links. This has been fixed in 1.14.0-5, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked soname links created by ldconfig. If you get an errors like so.

tensorflow: /usr/lib/libtensorflow.so.1 exists in filesystem
tensorflow: /usr/lib/libtensorflow_cc.so.1 exists in filesystem
tensorflow: /usr/lib/libtensorflow_framework.so.1 exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Suy --overwrite=usr/lib/libtensorflow.so.1,usr/lib/libtensorflow_cc.so.1,usr/lib/libtensorflow_framework.so.1

to perform the upgrade.

astyle>=3.1-2 update requires manual intervention

Of Antonio Rojas in August 26

The astyle package prior to version 3.1-2 was missing a soname link. This has been fixed in 3.1-2, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked soname link created by ldconfig. If you get an error

astyle: /usr/lib/libastyle.so.3 exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Suy --overwrite usr/lib/libastyle.so.3

to perform the upgrade.

no problems on my laptop with new kernel 5.3 and manjaro kde 18.1. will install the updates on my pc later - need to check first, if the vbox modules are already available for kernel 5.3.

great job manjaro team :smiley:

EDIT: Also on my pc - everything fine. Tested everything i'm using daily - Works like a charm!

Mutter, Nautilus, Gnome-Shell and probably others haven't been updated yet.
Made the mistake to replace Mutter-Performance and Gnome-Shell-Performance from AUR with the Manjaro packages... Now everything is laggy which 3.34 is supposed to fix.

Everything fine here including the kernel 5.3

After updating one of my Gnome installs, I rebooted and got a black screen. I was able to shift to TTY and reboot again. GDM popped up like usual and I was able to login. No lagging, but I'm running mostly vanilla Gnome.

I still have 8.0.4-7. :thinking:

I just noticed another issue. Radiotray-NG did not autostart on XFCE after the update (and reboot). CLI output is:

$ radiotray-ng
radiotray-ng: error while loading shared libraries: libjsoncpp.so.20: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I checked to see if libjsoncpp is installed:

$ pamac search libjsoncpp
jsoncpp                                              [Installed] 1.9.1-1  extra 
  C++ library for interacting with JSON

EDIT: Installing radiotray-ng-git instead of radiotray-ng did the trick.

radiotray-ng is an AUR package. Depending on what gets updated, some AUR packages will need a rebuild.

2 Likes

Understood. I just installed a different version and it launches without issue.

All you had to do was rebuild the same one by using the Build button in the pamac GUI or run pamac build radiotray-ng. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you -- I learned a new thing today!

I had problem with sddm on plasma 5.16.5 which freezes after entering the password. In stable this does not occur with plasma 5.16.4. I don't know if it happened to anyone else.

Both my KDE machines didn't have the issue.

You might try resetting the SDDM theme if you changed it something other than the default.
See if it still freezes.

I am going to do the tests now on a virtual machine. So don't have to leave of stable.

Worked without a hitch for me:
Xfce (Architect), kernels 4.19 / 5.3, NVIDIA.

Did it in the terminal (Syyu) as per usual.

Manjaro deepin, kernel 5.3.0-0, nvidia 435.21. Up and working!
(I mean playing...).

:grinning:

2 Likes

not forget to test & check audio ( major version pulseaudio )
and AMDGPU card & ryzen 3000

Well I am watching youtube and the sound seems fine.

He forgot to precise that Pamac 9.0 is still only in beta for now in the announcement.

Check out pamac-gtk-dev if you are curious about it.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by