[Testing Update] 2019-07-29 - Kernels, XFCE 4.14-pre3, Haskell

Um, do you mean Application Style? If yes, then it's still ok here, fwiw:

1 Like

cough. Er... Yes.

Well, here's some relevant Testing feedback since it's been getting "lost":

Who am I kidding, both are the same bug! :joy:

If there is a hardware incompatibility with newer kernels, the sensible solution is to not use those kernels, not blame the distro for giving us the option of running newer kernels.

2 Likes

Problem here also with xfce4-terminal and xos4 terminus font. Font displays as boxes. (Xfce 4.12)

Downgrading to pango 1:1.43.0-2 fixed for me as well.

This seems to affect all bitmap fonts now. And has been flagged as not a bug by Arch upstream.

1 Like

I was just about to mention the same.

I am using Dina in the terminal...
Does anyone know a similar non-bitmap font? edit going for fixedsys i guess

Hum looks like you're going update to the 3rd release instead of the final that came July 30 ?

What could possibly go wrong? :thinking:

error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/linux419-4.19.63-1/desc: No such file or directory

mkinitcpio -p linux419
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux419.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-i686 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-4.19-i686.img
==> ERROR: Unable to write to /boot/initramfs-4.19-i686.img
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux419.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-i686 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-4.19-i686-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: Unable to write to /boot/initramfs-4.19-i686-fallback.img

mkinitcpio -p linux
/bin/mkinitcpio: line 261: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Failed to load preset: `/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset'

The hardware is not new, it works in every previous kernel present in Manjaro repo.

The sensible solution is to report bugs present in Manjaro to its developers so that it may be fixed. God forbid they have a change of heart and start making upstream contributions. :rofl:

Educate yourself on the subject before advocating in vain. :+1:

EDIT There's something serenely rewarding about silent, zoilus tools reducing themselves to emoji "reactions".

1 Like

Number one, you're reporting an issue with a manjro32 installation on an x86-64 thread.

Number two,

Number 3,

The "linux" profile doesn't exist. Try "linux419" insteadl

1 Like

Manjaro does not have any linux kernel developers on their team as far as I know.

1 Like

So you still haven't realised this is an upstream bug and has nothing to do with Manjaro? Here's my advice: use git bisect to trace the bug and report it to Greg Kroah-Hartman. This is what I did when I faced kernel bug (actually usb driver bug) in 5.2 series during its RC stage, eventually it was resolved by smart people who contribute to Linux code based on my bugreport:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?h=v5.3-rc2&id=5f54a85db5df67df8161739a4b2f9c2b7ab219fe

Yeah I had to compile, install and test about 30 kernels to be sure what was the culprit, but I was interested in fixing that bug cuz my laptop didn't work properly until the patch was applied.

7 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: computer

Now that that is as sorted as it is going to be .. I will clean up this Update Announcement thread in a little while... because some people actually want to do the normal things..

4 Likes

I've just responded to this by PM to try and explain why you are wrong.

Please listen instead of trying to create a narrative where you are being somehow oppressed by unaccountable higher powers.

Either that or realise that your actions do not fit with the community and therefore you should either realign your behaviour to the community's expectations or find a different community which allows and encourages that behaviour.

5 Likes

Let us all

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark