[Testing Update] 2019-07-13 - Kernels, Calamares, Firefox, KDE Apps, 18.1-rc4

@philm Notice me, senpai!

6 posts were split to a new topic: Off-topic snap debate

Okay, I'm back, sigh. Had to download rc4 to get past the updates, now 95 in rc3 and over 300 in stable, Ouch. Wondering if anyone out there is rebuilding their computers or upgrading them with the same problems I had? To an office grade desktop with AMD I added my old nvidia board and a second HD from the old computer, then tried to install things to all of that. I knew about the hardware, micro computer repair classes, but, not about the software concerns. Problems with the BIOS were ironed out, a complete reset of my modem and wifi, new wires for both, etc. Just curious.

PS, No-one cares at Arch, or, so I was told when I mentioned I got it running. Not the computer, the system. Rude!

Thank you Manjaro Team! I personally don't use snaps, but I'm a firm believer in having options and making snaps easier for those who use them is a step toward making that option accessible to more users.

On a related note, snap can be removed from the system with the following, correct? Or are there other steps required?

sudo pacman -Rnsc snapd

installed the RC.4 , in VmWare 15.1 , absolutly STABLE , any problem Not found .!.

in this release the Contact 'Name' that contains Emoticons , in KAdressBook are displayed correctly ! ..in rc.3 is only wrong characters showed !

Yes, Manjaro is the BEST Distro , im' recommend it everyhere ! _:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::hugs:

Thanks for this update set.

KDE
After update Chinese characters are shown as squares in Konsole, Dolphin etc.

ttf-droid 20121017-7 update changed the default Korean font on my system. It used to be ttf-nanum, another font I have installed which I prefer better. Changing the default fallback fonts is a headache last time I checked, so I have downgraded for now.

Can you be more precise of which snaps didn't work after updating to 2.40? On my end I had snap-store installed, which still works.

The details were on the screenshot I posted above.

bitwarden broken
mailspring broken

Other apps were fine: subsync, rambox. So it looks it didn't break all apps, just two. Not sure why, it looks so random...
I noticed the issue because I have Bitwarden on a dock, so when I did the update and rebooted, I noticed empty space in a dock and Bitwarden didn't work. So I checked snap list and then I saw in the notes "broken".

I hoped there is some way to reinstall the apps but didn't find it. If there would be some mass command like snap reinstall app1 app2 app3 and the configs stayed, there would be a no bigger problem, but for mailapp to lost its settings is a big deal. For bitwarden after reinstall I just had to log in and all was fine.

People who have snaps but don't use them often may not be even aware that something went broken.

I don't understand what's happening atm. I did the update with Pamac-GTK. It gave no errors at all, but it seems like it is hanging right at the very end phase:

-> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.1-x86_64-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful
Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.1-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.1-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.1-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64-fallback.img
Found Fedora 30 (Workstation Edition) on /dev/sdb1
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done
Warn about old perl modules
Updating 32-bit fontconfig cache...
Updating fontconfig cache...
Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
Updating icon theme caches...
Registering binary formats...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Updating the info directory file...
Rebuilding certificate stores...
Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
Updating the MIME type database...
Updating X fontdir indices...

...& its status has been Running post-transaction hooks... for ~15', without any apparent ssd or cpu activity.

Advice please? Is it safe to [try to] close Pamac, then reboot? If not, how can i force it to officially finish whatever it thinks it's doing?

EDIT: Oh well, i forced it to Refresh databases from its menu, after which it seems happy, so now i'll reboot with fingers crossed that nothing broke from that weird hang-up.

EDIT2: Rebooted ok. Must have been sunspots, or mutant star-goats...

Not sure if it's directly related to this update but as snap support for Discover is announced in this thread:

I'm unable to install discover-snap. Looks like some files conflict with the base discover package:

yay -S discover-snap (log)
Packages (1) discover-snap-5.16.2-1

Total Installed Size:  12,15 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                 [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                               [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                    [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                              [#############################################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
discover-snap: /etc/xdg/discover.categories exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/bin/plasma-discover exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/kf5/discover/runservice exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/plasma-discover/libDiscoverCommon.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/plasma-discover/libDiscoverNotifiers.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/qt/plugins/discover-notifier/DiscoverPackageKitNotifier.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/qt/plugins/discover-notifier/FlatpakNotifier.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/qt/plugins/discover/flatpak-backend.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/qt/plugins/discover/fwupd-backend.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/qt/plugins/discover/kns-backend.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/qt/plugins/discover/packagekit-backend.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
discover-snap: /usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/discovernotifier/libDiscoverNotifierDeclarativePlugin.so exists in filesystem (owned by discover)
(...)

snap support doesnt seem to be enabled in Discover without installing the package

Discover sources screenshot

Had to reboot twice for open-vm-tools update to work, but that happened previous times too.

Also, Pamac has as its window title "pamac-manager" instead of "Pamac", but this was the case before this update. Using Dutch (NL) as language. A week ago or so, I used Bleachbit to remove all languages except for English and Dutch. Don't know if this is related though.

It's in repository, not in AUR. pamac install discover-snap

yay would find both:wink:
Another issue is reported maybe related

It should normally conflict with discover. Please uninstall that application first.

After a few seconds Firefox starts to use the HDD heavily (I can't tell if it's reading or writing). That only stops when I close Firefox and starts again after starting Firefox.

Restarting the machine doesn't help. I tried to turn off a few caching-enabled properties, but that also didn't help.

That's bad :frowning:

Ah thanks for the hint. discover-snap alone does work fine.
I expected it to be an extension for the discover package.

The only issue is then, that it's not declared as conflict or provide.
I suppose it would make sense if discover-snap would "provide" discover.

I'm always using yay for both AUR and repo and of course installed from repository. But its admittedly misleading. Thanks for the hint.

1 Like

Excited to see FF68 but getting constant crashes with FF68 that didn't happen with prior versions. :frowning:

Latest post mentions regression in [@ free | gfxFcPlatformFontList::ReadSystemFontList::$_0::operator() ] signature .Will this this link as upstream bug (correct if this is the wrong one)

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark