Why snap is not recommended?

Few month ago,I download vscode from Snap store.
but it with less Language support(view Language).
even VLC ,the offical verson run prefect,but in the begining , Install by snap can’t play any video.even crash.
why that?
In my view ,Snap just a way to install software.But why the software from Snap may less something even can’t run usual.
I want to know What is Snap target?why the differents from offical?

1 Like

This is a pretty good article but at the end of the day use what works best for you, that’s the beauty of linux

2 Likes

The intention of all of them is to create self-contained applications which in theory should be able to run everywhere.

1 Like

Why snap is not recommended?

Because Snaps are the devil. They run slow, they take up huge amount of storage (a 1MB program can end up in 100+MB), and you have a service running in the background slowing your boot time. There are other reasons, like programs auto updating without your consent, things like that…

AppImage or Flatpak is OK to me, but you should always prefer the normal packages provided by Manjaro repositories, and use Flatpak or AppImage in case there is an issue, temporarily.

4 Likes

Snaps are so-called sandboxes like Flatpak and protect your system, this means that any application is locked in this sandbox that blocks access or limits function of the application. That is why it is slow and some function does not work.

If you do not trust unknown app, you can test it in sandbox like VM.

2 Likes