[Testing Update] 2019-05-29 - Kernels, XFCE, Deepin, Mesa, Nvidia, KDE-Dev

Please add the plasma-wayland-session-git package to the KDE Dev Isos.

Everything quick and smooth, xfce on intel i3 chip, free drivers, 4.19 kernel

Nothing to say on my side.

Desktop: Intel i5-6400 + NVIDIA GTX 970 (Non-Free drivers)
Laptop: Ideapad 310 with Intel GPU (Free drivers, modesetting)

Pretty unfortunate that we got issues with ZFS. :confused:

Orphans are never removed automatically by default, I doubt it will start anytime soon.

Anyway, js60 does not totally replace js52. You can have js52 and js60 concurrently without problem (or without problem that I know of I guess). On my side, I have polkit that now depends on js60 instead of js52 starting with 0.116-1.1 (the previous version depended on js52) and I still have cjs (package for Cinnamon) that depends on js52. I have both js52 and js60 installed at the same time.

4.19 and 5.0 both fine
intel/nvidia optimus-switch
awesome-wm / compton
steam/proton/vulkan

all good, no issues. :+1:

Installed two separate installs and went directly to branch testing for the first update:

Manjaro Xfce4 4.14-pre1 - kernel 5.1, no issues

Manjaro Budige 18.0 - kernel 5.1, no issues despite about 380 updated files.

You're right, I missed that. Need to upgrade my repo searching skills. :blush:

I struggle to get my noob head around this. If a package is replaced by another then the former package gets uninstalled (after user approves). But if one dependency is replaced by another - and orphaned - it is not. I'm guessing it is because dependencies - the 'required by' bit - are not tracked properly at a package management level?

It breaks my non-technical preconceptions. Viz, it means that uninstalling and then reinstalling a package - polkit in this case - leads to a different state of my machine than upgrading polkit. That is... non-intuitive... to me at least.

Anyway I stand by my suggestion that it would be good to remove if orphaned, if only to reduce the mentions we will keep seeing of it. :wink:

I finally fiexed the issue with zfs-import-cache.service.

I had to remove and readd the cachefile option to the filesystem:

zpool set cachefile=none zstore
zpool set cachefile=/etc/zfs/zpool.cache zstore

Now zfs-import-cache.service works out of the box.

2 Likes

Another testing update is already up.
It would be nice if you updated the known issues with the zfs issue and workaround to both.
Just saying... :man_shrugging:

Please check the upstream bugtracker and post a new issue if needed.

1 Like

for Xfce & Drivers Nvidia ( but should also be checked for others )
i have on Idle Xorg cpu running 4% to 6% or 8% under top/htop

Oh yeah, I've just noticed that Krita 4.2 also breaks global menu compatibility.
This KDE app has always been very odd.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408015

Nvidia 430.14 broke mpv hardware decoding.

vo=gpu (the default mode) with hwdec=yes results in Segmentation fault (core dumped). hwdec=cuda and copy-back modes also segfaults.

dmesg output:

[  702.543306] mpv[2262]: segfault at e ip 00007f0b65b0d0c0 sp 00007ffdc802e4e0 error 4 in libnvcuvid.so.430.14[7f0b65acc000+312000]
[  702.543312] Code: 48 c7 40 08 00 00 00 00 48 c7 40 10 00 00 00 00 c3 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 f6 07 08 53 48 89 fb 75 10 48 8b 97 50 01 00 00 <0f> b7 42 0e 66 ff c0 74 07 5b 31 c0 c3 0f

vo=vdpau works with hwdec=yes, but there is now stutter in 60fps videos. It can be fixed by turning compositor off (it does not seem to matter which compositor is used, tested with xfwm4 and compton glx).

vo=vdpau 60fps stutter can also be fixed (mostly) with these additional mpv options:

vo-vdpau-queuetime-windowed=0
vo-vdpau-queuetime-fs=0

vo=vdpau and hwdec=cuda still segfaults.

It depends if prime or bumblebee is used. Non-glnvd libs are however broken in 430.

this will not be easy

" Given the recent work on glxvnd in Xorg, can we assume a native solution for Optimus is in the pipeline? With the dynamic power switching problem being already solved natively in the kernel for newer Optimus hardware, if glxvnd/glvnd can solve the bringing problem then we won't need bumblebee and primus anymore with new hardware and a recent software stack. We can keep them for the legacy driver series.

Posted 05/26/2019 06:05 PM

simon.k.whiteley

I similar problems on Arch Linux but only the DisplayPort output is affected. HDMI output runs perfectly.

I have returned to 390xx drivers.

Simon.

on nvidia notes
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1032650/linux/unix-graphics-feature-deprecation-schedule/
Support for non-GLVND OpenGL and EGL libraries on Linux
The release 430 series will be the last to support installing Linux OpenGL and EGL client libraries that do not use the GL Vendor Neutral Dispatch (GLVND) loader library.

on notes
"The first post has been updated to note that support for Linux non-GLVND OpenGL and EGL client libraries will be removed in a future release."

Aaron Plattner
NVIDIA Linux Graphics

Posted 04/29/2019 09:23 PM

4 version drivers , depreciation as they want that not always indicated on version , and breaks dance for optimus / primus .... ( laptop )

Opera menu bug looks like a long term Chromium issue I reported years ago about popup descriptions being screwed up too. Try with hardware acceleration turned off

1 Like

Thanks. This fixed the bug.
Strange thing is that I see this bug first time. It appears after 05/29 update wich included Opera minor update.

Seems there is an issue with new version of network-manager-applet 1.8.22-1.

Passwords for VPN connections don't seem to be stored when "Store the password only for this user" is selected. When entering the password in the configuration and pressing save, next time you open settings again, the password field is empty. Also it'll ask you for the password on connecting...

downgrading to 1.8.21dev+3+gb4c365b1 fixes the problem.

btw. when working in a single user environment one can choose "Store the password for all users". That still works.

edit
reported it here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/network-manager-applet/issues/59

Seems to be a regression. Will check the code.

...done
15508 Thunar General xfce-bugs NEW --- Thunar 1.8.6-2 is crashing, when ejecting USB stick properly. Thunar-volman is verson 0.9.2-1 10:54:18

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark