[Testing Update] 2019-05-12 - Systemd, Kernels, KDE-Dev, Deepin, FF-Dev, Haskell, Bash

update
testing

Hello community,

I am happy to announce another Testing Update!

This update holds the following changes:

• Some Kernels got renewed
  • Bash got some security fixes
  • Systemd got updated to its latest stable updates
  • Deepin has newer packages to provide a better experience
  • Latest addition to KDE-Dev is a new notification system. You can try it with our ISO.
  • The issue with Nvidia and XFWM4-GTK3 got fixed
  • Firefox-Dev is now at 67.0b19
  • For all using Haskell, you find now the latest updates in our repos.

Give us the usual feedback and let us know what you think about this update.

Current supported Kernels

• linux316 3.16.65
  • linux318 3.18.139 [EOL]
  • linux44 4.4.179 (no legacy nvidia-340 module!)
  • linux49 4.9.175
  • linux414 4.14.118
  • linux419 4.19.42
  • linux420 4.20.17 [EOL]
  • linux50 5.0.15
  • linux51 5.1.1 (few extramodules build, but not all yet!)
  • linux419-rt 4.19.37_rt19
  • linux50-rt 5.0.14_rt9

Package Updates (Sun May 12 08:16:43 CEST 2019)

• testing community x86_64: 648 new and 648 removed package(s)
  • testing core x86_64: 13 new and 13 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 75 new and 74 removed package(s)
  • testing multilib x86_64: 4 new and 4 removed package(s)

The full list of package changes can be found here

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

7 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Items from previous update sets

Gnome 3.32: Two extensions removed from our repos.

We have dropped two packages that shipped additional extensions for Gnome: gnome-shell-extensions-topicons-plus-huttli and gnome-shell-extensions-taskbar. We won't maintain Topicons Plus and Taskbar anymore.

Those extensions are not in active development anymore and may not work properly (or not work at all) on Gnome 3.32. Notably, it has been reported that using Topicons Plus on Gnome 3.32 may leads to very high CPU usage.

We strongly recommend you to disable those extensions if they are enabled (Tweaks > Extensions) and remove those packages with your favorite package manager. To prevent potential problems with the next version of Gnome, you may do those steps (or at least the first one) before upgrading your system.

Gnome 3.32: Various problems

There is currently several problems with Gnome 3.32. Here is what we know so far.

1. Possibility of broken extensions
Broken extensions is something to expect when transitioning between major versions of Gnome, especially if you are using extensions that are not shipped by default on Manjaro Gnome. If you have a broken extension taken from somewhere else than Manjaro official repositories, you will have to contact the maintainer on the source you have taken the extension from to get more support. You may also want to report the problem to the developer(s) of the extension (if not the same person/group).

It is possible that extensions become so broken on Gnome 3.32 that it makes Gnome Shell crash completely when trying to log in, thus making Gnome completely unusable. For example, we have a report of such issue with a third-party extension (that doesn't come from Manjaro's official repositories) called Extensions.

To decrease the risk of breakage (especially if running Gnome extensions that does not come from Manjaro official repositories) and make the upgrade smoother, you can disable all Gnome extensions (Tweaks > Extensions) before upgrading your system, then enable them one by one only after being logged in a completely new session on Gnome 3.32.

2. Using world clocks can break Gnome Shell completely
If you have configured world clocks in Gnome, it may make Gnome Shell segfaults and crashes when trying to log in for a graphical session, making Gnome unusable. If it happens, you will need to reset your parameters for world clocks with the following command (do it in TTY): dbus-launch gsettings reset org.gnome.clocks world-clocks.
See this Arch Linux thread and this ticket from upstream.

3. Gnome Shell may crash completely when resuming from sleep if you use Wayland
If you are using Wayland (instead of X.org), Gnome Shell may crash when resuming from sleep. Upstream is aware of this issue. As a workaround, you may use X.org instead of Wayland for now.

4. Miscellaneous
Some programs don't get focused after being launched. Reported to upstream and confirmed for distributions other than Manjaro too.

Yaourt: Rest in peace

Yaourt has been removed from our repositories completely. We won't maintain the yaourt package anymore, which means that you will not receive any updates from us for this package. A very old package named yaourt-gui-manjaro has been removed at the same time too.

If you are still using Yaourt, we strongly encourage you to switch to an alternative like Pamac CLI (package: pamac-cli), Trizen (package: trizen), Yay (package: yay) or Pacaur (package: pacaur); and uninstall Yaourt from your system.

In addition to that, we have dropped support for several packages that depended on yaourt: allservers, pacli and pacli-jwm. Those packages has been removed from the official repositories completely.

vlc-nightly has been dropped

The vlc-nightly package, which was really useful in a time when VLC 3 was not officially out yet, has been dropped on our side and is not in the official repositories anymore. If you still have this package and you want the latest stable version of VLC media player, remove vlc-nightly, then install the vlc package.

Otherwise, you can continue to use vlc-nightly from the AUR (but you'll have to compile it yourself).

Kodi 18.1: extensions may not work properly.

Kodi 18.1 is now available in our repositories. Since this is a major version change, extensions for Kodi (if you use some) may stop working properly. Developers of those extensions will need to make them compatible with Kodi 18.

If Kodi 18.1 doesn't work properly for you and you absolutely need to use your extensions, you may use the old kodi package in /var/cache/pacman/pkg in order to downgrade Kodi to version 17.6. Please note that it is a temporary workaround and that the software provided in the old kodi package may stop working properly in the future too. You should not keep the downgrade forever.

Notifications looking weird in XFCE

Since the package dunst includes now dunstfy in the main package notifications may not displayed properly in XFCE. Please uninstall that package to solve that issue. Normally not needed in that edition.

Plasma will not reboot from the Application Launcher

If you update from within Plasma (e.g. from the konsole), you may need to issue a systemctl reboot to reboot.

I can't open Nemo with elevated privileges (as root)

Workaround found: Use the dbus-x11 package instead of the regular dbus package. This package is available in the official repositories and provides dbus compiled without the --without-x option.

To replace dbus with dbus-x11 package, simply install dbus-x11 with your favorite package manager: dbus will be replaced by dbus-x11.

Pamac: "Failed to commit transaction - Transaction not prepared" at the end

So far, it has only been a false alarm: updates are applied successfully.

AMD-Ucode introduction

Unless you've already done this previously, All users of AMD-APUs/CPUs should install this update like this:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S amd-ucode
sudo pacman -R intel-ucode
sudo update-grub

Step 3 is optional.

Rebuilding fontconfig cache: failed to write cache

Please ignore this message. Upstream already works on a solution. More about the issue here.

LibreOffice has no window decoration in KDE

New line export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3_kde5, once merged into existing /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-fresh.sh , fixes a moderately longterm issue. If it doesn't work for you, you may use gtk instead of gtk3_kde5 as UI framework.

Installing glibc (2.28-4) breaks the dependency “glibc=2.27” required by lib32-glibc

Install the update either:

• from terminal: sudo pacman -Syu or;
  • with Octopi instead of Pamac.

Something using Perl/Python/glibc broke

Rebuilds needed!

• If it's an AUR package, try to reinstall it from AUR. It most likely needs to be rebuilt.
  • If it's a repo package, please report and check back regularly for updates.

I've lost a Thunderbird addon/feature

Thunderbird 60 disables incompatible addons by default. There's an about:config switch should you want to force-enable the addon, but many addons simply will not work with the newer Quantum-based Thunderbird.

Read more about Thunderbird 60 here: Thunderbird 60

Firefox - WebGL not working anymore

You may try the following solution:

Open about:config and set security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist to /sys/.

libutf8proc>=2.1.1-3 update may require manual intervention

This should normally be automatically fixed via manjaro-system update.

The libutf8proc package prior to version 2.1.1-3 had an incorrect soname link. This has been fixed in 2.1.1-3, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked soname link created by ldconfig. If you get an error

libutf8proc: /usr/lib/libutf8proc.so.2 exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Suy --overwrite usr/lib/libutf8proc.so.2

to perform the upgrade.

Pamac: "Invalid or corrupted package."

If you receive an "Invalid or corrupted package." error message with Pamac and if the details contains an output similar to the following:

Details
Synchronizing package databases...
Starting full system upgrade...

Preparing...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Downloading...
Downloading manjaro-system-20180716-1-any.pkg.tar.xz...
Checking keyring...
Checking integrity...
Loading packages files...
Checking file conflicts...
Checking available disk space...
Upgrading manjaro-system (20180702-1 -> 20180716-1)...
==> Fix libutf8proc upgrade ...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) libutf8proc-2.1.1-4

Total Download Size:   0.05 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.32 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
downloading libutf8proc-2.1.1-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz...
checking keyring...
checking package integrity...
loading package files...
checking for file conflicts...
checking available disk space...
:: Processing package changes...
upgrading libutf8proc...
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Warning: lock file missing /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
Starting full system upgrade...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/libutf8proc-2.1.1-2/files: No such file or directory
Warning: could not fully load metadata for package libutf8proc-2.1.1-2

Failed to prepare transaction:
invalid or corrupted package

Try the following steps: close Pamac window first, then launch it again and start the update procedure again. It should continue from where it left off.

Issues with folder view widget in KDE v5.13

KDE introduced a new setting for icon sizes. Now you're able to define also the size for your panel. If you have a high-DPI display, you may want to increase the value. This will fix the display issue with given widget.

icon-kde-513

Pulseaudio changes

With this update we have a /etc/pulse/default.pa.pacnew. It may be necessary to merge (some lines related to “GSettings” in /etc/pulse/default.pa ) if 'default.pa' has been customised.

File conflict engrampa.tap

thunar-archive-plugin: /usr/lib/xfce4/thunar-archive-plugin/engrampa.tap exists in filesystem (owned by engrampa-thunar-plugin)

thunar-archive-plugin has added native support for the Engrampa archive manager. engrampa-thunar-plugin is no longer needed. Remove engrampa-thunar-plugin to continue with the update.

No Sound:
Please edit at the Loudspeaker / Configuration tab, your analog or digital sounddriver. Currently it will not be saved until the next boot, so one has to edit the Configuration tab again.
grafik

Hi
Back to NVIDIA 390.116 and xfwm4-gtk3 works fine now.
Thanks.

1 Like

So I decided to have a go with Gnome Juhraya, I like it, especially the Tweaks bit! RIP xfce lol
PS had to manual remove r8168 again (just put that in to amuse tbg) :laughing:

Everything working here now with the window manager fix, but I'm still concerned about the xfwm4 cpu usage. Typical gaming with xfce's compositor on adds an additional ~25% of extra cpu utilization -- apparently doing nothing in terms of gaming performance since I tested it with the compositor off and there was negligible difference. @philm, can you confirm elevated levels? Is this abnormal behavior for xfwm4?

[Stable Update] 2019-05-17 - Kernels, Grub, KDE, Deepin, Gnome, XFCE, LibreOffice, Bash, Systemd

Here's my little report for the latest updates:

System: KDE, LUKS encrypted /home, upgrade via pacman in tty3

1. Starting point was KDE on kernel 4.19 LTS - after upgrade of systemd to latest version and reboot I noticed the following entry in journal (this appeared only once and was never seen again after several additional reboots) Mai 12 09:45:13 systemd[1]: Reload failed for Apache Web Server.System works fine without any issues, including apache web service. :+1:

2. Second step was installing kernel linux50 and extra modules via Manjaro Settings Manager - again I noticed an error message in journal, again only once and never again: Mai 12 10:00:48 dionysus systemd[1]: Failed unmounting Temporary Directory (/tmp). Afterwards including several reboots, system works fine without any issues. :+1:

3. Final step was installing kernel linux51 + extra modules: no error messages in journal and system works fine for me. Additional tests in Steam playing Half-Life 2 via bumblebee were successful. Nvidia stuff performs well when using kernel linux51. :+1:

Finally, thanks a lot to the whole Manjaro team for all the hard work. :clap:

Please write Oliver about your concerns.

Xfce ( Gtk+) + Linux 5.1 + Nvidia 418.74 + steam(openGl) + video ( youtube )
well done philm

1 Like

Kernel 51, unblacklisted r8169, XFCE 413, Intel HD 510 — no issues, thnx

Kernel 5.0.15-1, KDE, btrfs, luks, nVidia 418.74, Virtualbox
No issues!

1 Like

In my particular case, after the system upgrade i rebooted into a lightdm login screen just fine, but i can only see the manjaro wallpaper and the mouse cursor, nothing more, not working window manager, xfce panel, icons.
I had to downgrade xfwm4-gtk3 in order to get a functional desktop.
And since yesterday i'm using nouveau, so this was really strange for me.
xfwm4-gtk3 4.13.1-9 work's fine.

Summary

System: Host: daejaro-pc Kernel: 4.19.42-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.13.3git-b37930
Distro: Manjaro Linux
CPU: Topology: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8320E bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 67453
Speed: 4213 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4213 2: 4199 3: 4213 4: 4201 5: 4220 6: 4215 7: 4212 8: 4210
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVE4 v: 4.3 Mesa 19.0.3 direct render: Yes
Info: Processes: 199 Uptime: 14m Memory: 7.70 GiB used: 1.23 GiB (16.0%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash
v: 5.0.7 inxi: 3.0.34

Please try the following packages and let me know:

sudo pacman -U http://repo.manjaro.org.uk/pool/overlay/xfwm4-gtk3-4.13.1-10-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

sudo pacman -U http://repo.manjaro.org.uk/pool/overlay/xfwm4-gtk3-4.13.1-11-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

[Stable Update] 2019-05-17 - Kernels, Grub, KDE, Deepin, Gnome, XFCE, LibreOffice, Bash, Systemd

The first one show me an error about "package without the required signature", installing xfwm4-gtk3-4.13.1-11...
...Ok this is the good one, no error, a fully functional desktop :smile:
Thank you :pray:

PD: the "required signature error" was because of the local package on /var/cache, after rm it i was able to

sudo pacman -U http://repo.manjaro.org.uk/pool/overlay/xfwm4-gtk3-4.13.1-10-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
to testing, but the error persist on that particular version, so back to 4.13.1-11.

1 Like

We were expecting this:

$ pacman -Qm
firefox-kde-opensuse 66.0.3-1

But is this intentional?

$ pacman -Qdt
openssl-1.0 1.0.2.r-1

We removed firefox-kde-opensuse from all our branches. openssl-1.0 is used with steam.

Everything OK with the update.

@philm thanks for the vhba module for kernel linux-51

Tried kernel 5.1 for the first time after this update. Get following messages under booting-process.

[   10.702161] ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000428-0x000000000000042F conflicts with
 OpRegion 0x0000000000000400-0x000000000000047F (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.PMIO) (20190215/utaddress-213)
[   10.702166] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead o
f the native driver
[   10.702171] ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000540-0x000000000000054F conflicts with
 OpRegion 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000057F (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.LPIO) (20190215/utaddress-213)
[   10.702173] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead o
f the native driver
[   10.702174] ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000530-0x000000000000053F conflicts with
 OpRegion 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000057F (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.LPIO) (20190215/utaddress-213)
[   10.702176] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead o
f the native driver
[   10.702176] ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000052F conflicts with
[   10.702178] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead o
f the native driver

I can't see any real problem with this right now, but thought it would be good to inform about this.

Scroll thru your dmesg. I have one similar to that (doesn't matter the kernel version); and it seems to be related to the Super I/O chip that this mobo uses (to enable that chips' sensors, I have to use a kernel command-line option, and even without the command-line, it still throws that warning).

Changed stable to testing ---> gnome animations start lagging and I cant handle that thats awful :frowning:

Moved to kernel 5.1 with all of my systems (AMD Carizzo and Ryzen) and all is running flawless. Great job!