Xfce - notebook with external display and logon at the external display

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to the following challenge: I would like to change a notebook from Windows to Linux for a friend. This user only uses the notebook for internet and office, I think he will don’t really notice the difference. Administration would be done by me as it is done with Windows at the moment. However, I hope for an improvement in performance. With the latest Windows 10, the part is already very on its knees. Therefore, I would also like to stay with the slim Xfce.

However, the notebook is currently used with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. The notebook is under the desk and is only opened for a short time to get to the power button, and then immediately closed again. Windows is then actually so intelligent that the login screen is displayed on the external screen and the internal screen is deactivated. The notebook will actually use as a ‘desktop’.

I can’t get this behavior to work with Xfce, unfortunately. Once I set to multi-monitor operation, Xfce uses it even when the notebook is closed. Thus, the login screen does not appear, as it always appears on the internal screen.

I’ve been searching in forums for some time now, but I always end up with hints on how to prevent the shutdown or suspend mode when the notebook is closed. But my Manjaro with Xfce already does that correctly without any intervention. For the now somewhat more specific requirement I could not find anything that helps me.

If someone has an idea, I would be very grateful. Thanks a lot …

A post was merged into an existing topic: Xfce mit Notebook und externem Bildschirm