[Testing Update] 2019-04-01 - Mate, KDE-Dev, Cinnamon, Deepin, Browsers, Systemd

update
testing

Hi community,

Welcome to our twentieth testing update for 2019. So what do we have with this one?

• we updated systemd again to the latest developer git-snapshot
  • Gnome to 3.32 series got further package updates
  • linux418-rt kernel series got dropped
  • KDE fans may be happy about developer git-snapshot packages of Plasma and Frameworks. You may give our first Developer-ISO a spin
  • after a year of development MATE 1.22 got released
  • we also renewed Cinnamon and Deepin packages, where we are now offering a new Manjaro exclusive package deepin-file-manager-nomodule, which can be used without the deepin-anything kernel-module (it misses fast file search and color tags for that reason)
  • the usual python, haskell and browser updates

We hope with all these changes Manjaro to be more efficient for you all.

Merch

Get our new T-Shirt collection #CLT2019! They are the latest design we did exclusively for Chemnitz Linux Days.

Manjaro v18.0.4 released!

We updated our flagship ISOs of Manjaro Illyria with the latest packages. It comes with refreshed packages and updated tools. You may want to download our XFCE Edition with the latest 4.13 packages, aswell as our most recent styling efforts. Our KDE fans may try our KDE Edition with the latest KDE v5.15 instead. And our GNOME fans may try our Gnome Edition with the latest GNOME v3.30.

Current supported Kernels

• linux316 3.16.62
  • linux318 3.18.137 [EOL]
  • linux44 4.4.167 [FZN]
  • linux49 4.9.166
  • linux414 4.14.109
  • linux419 4.19.32
  • linux420 4.20.17 [EOL]
  • linux50 5.0.5
  • linux51 5.1-rc1 (no extramodules yet)
  • linux418-rt 4.18.16_rt9
  • linux419-rt 4.19.25_rt16
  • linux50-rt 5.0.5_rt3

Package Updates (Mon Apr 1 18:48:19 CEST 2019)

• testing community x86_64: 1192 new and 1163 removed package(s)
  • testing core x86_64: 17 new and 18 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 243 new and 258 removed package(s)
  • testing multilib x86_64: 24 new and 30 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

12 Likes
pacman.conf break? mirrorlist cant update
[Stable Update] 2019-04-03 - Mate, KDE-Dev, Cinnamon, Deepin, Browsers

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Gnome 3.32: Two extensions removed from our repos.

We have dropped two packages that shipped additional extensions for Gnome: gnome-shell-extensions-topicons-plus-huttli and gnome-shell-extensions-taskbar. We won’t maintain Topicons Plus and Taskbar anymore.

Those extensions are not in active development anymore and may not work properly (or not work at all) on Gnome 3.32. Notably, it has been reported that using Topicons Plus on Gnome 3.32 may leads to very high CPU usage.

We strongly recommend you to disable those extensions if they are enabled (Tweaks > Extensions) and remove those packages with your favorite package manager. To prevent potential problems with the next version of Gnome, you may do those steps (or at least the first one) before upgrading your system.

Gnome 3.32: Various problems

There is currently several problems with Gnome 3.32. Here is what we know so far.

1. Possibility of broken extensions
Broken extensions is something to expect when transitioning between major versions of Gnome, especially if you are using extensions that are not shipped by default on Manjaro Gnome. If you have a broken extension taken from somewhere else than Manjaro official repositories, you will have to contact the maintainer on the source you have taken the extension from to get more support. You may also want to report the problem to the developer(s) of the extension (if not the same person/group).

It is possible that extensions become so broken on Gnome 3.32 that it makes Gnome Shell crash completely when trying to log in, thus making Gnome completely unusable. For example, we have a report of such issue with a third-party extension (that doesn’t come from Manjaro’s official repositories) called Extensions.

To decrease the risk of breakage (especially if running Gnome extensions that does not come from Manjaro official repositories) and make the upgrade smoother, you can disable all Gnome extensions (Tweaks > Extensions) before upgrading your system, then enable them one by one only after being logged in a completely new session on Gnome 3.32.

2. Using world clocks can break Gnome Shell completely
If you have configured world clocks in Gnome, it may make Gnome Shell segfaults and crashes when trying to log in for a graphical session, making Gnome unusable. If it happens, you will need to reset your parameters for world clocks with the following command (do it in TTY): dbus-launch gsettings reset org.gnome.clocks world-clocks.
See this Arch Linux thread and this ticket from upstream.

3. Gnome Shell may crash completely when resuming from sleep if you use Wayland
If you are using Wayland (instead of X.org), Gnome Shell may crash when resuming from sleep. Upstream is aware of this issue. As a workaround, you may use X.org instead of Wayland for now.

4. Miscellaneous
Some programs don’t get focused after being launched. Reported to upstream and confirmed for distributions other than Manjaro too.

Yaourt: Rest in peace

Yaourt has been removed from our repositories completely. We won’t maintain the yaourt package anymore, which means that you will not receive any updates from us for this package. A very old package named yaourt-gui-manjaro has been removed at the same time too.

If you are still using Yaourt, we strongly encourage you to switch to an alternative like Pamac CLI (package: pamac-cli), Trizen (package: trizen), Yay (package: yay) or Pacaur (package: pacaur); and uninstall Yaourt from your system.

In addition to that, we have dropped support for several packages that depended on yaourt: allservers, pacli and pacli-jwm. Those packages has been removed from the official repositories completely.

Items from previous update sets

vlc-nightly has been dropped

The vlc-nightly package, which was really useful in a time when VLC 3 was not officially out yet, has been dropped on our side and is not in the official repositories anymore. If you still have this package and you want the latest stable version of VLC media player, remove vlc-nightly, then install the vlc package.

Otherwise, you can continue to use vlc-nightly from the AUR (but you’ll have to compile it yourself).

Kodi 18.1: extensions may not work properly.

Kodi 18.1 is now available in our repositories. Since this is a major version change, extensions for Kodi (if you use some) may stop working properly. Developers of those extensions will need to make them compatible with Kodi 18.

If Kodi 18.1 doesn’t work properly for you and you absolutely need to use your extensions, you may use the old kodi package in /var/cache/pacman/pkg in order to downgrade Kodi to version 17.6. Please note that it is a temporary workaround and that the software provided in the old kodi package may stop working properly in the future too. You should not keep the downgrade forever.

Notifications looking weird in XFCE

Since the package dunst includes now dunstfy in the main package notifications may not displayed properly in XFCE. Please uninstall that package to solve that issue. Normally not needed in that edition.

Plasma will not reboot from the Application Launcher

If you update from within Plasma (e.g. from the konsole), you may need to issue a systemctl reboot to reboot.

I can’t open Nemo with elevated privileges (as root)

Workaround found: Use the dbus-x11 package instead of the regular dbus package. This package is available in the official repositories and provides dbus compiled without the --without-x option.

To replace dbus with dbus-x11 package, simply install dbus-x11 with your favorite package manager: dbus will be replaced by dbus-x11.

Pamac: “Failed to commit transaction - Transaction not prepared” at the end

So far, it has only been a false alarm: updates are applied successfully.

AMD-Ucode introduction

Unless you’ve already done this previously, All users of AMD-APUs/CPUs should install this update like this:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S amd-ucode
sudo pacman -R intel-ucode
sudo update-grub

Step 3 is optional.

Rebuilding fontconfig cache: failed to write cache

Please ignore this message. Upstream already works on a solution. More about the issue here.

LibreOffice has no window decoration in KDE

New line export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3_kde5, once merged into existing /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-fresh.sh , fixes a moderately longterm issue. If it doesn’t work for you, you may use gtk instead of gtk3_kde5 as UI framework.

Installing glibc (2.28-4) breaks the dependency “glibc=2.27” required by lib32-glibc

Install the update either:

• from terminal: sudo pacman -Syu or;
  • with Octopi instead of Pamac.

Something using Perl/Python/glibc broke

Rebuilds needed!

• If it’s an AUR package, try to reinstall it from AUR. It most likely needs to be rebuilt.
  • If it’s a repo package, please report and check back regularly for updates.

I’ve lost a Thunderbird addon/feature

Thunderbird 60 disables incompatible addons by default. There’s an about:config switch should you want to force-enable the addon, but many addons simply will not work with the newer Quantum-based Thunderbird.

Read more about Thunderbird 60 here: Thunderbird 60

Firefox - WebGL not working anymore

You may try the following solution:

Open about:config and set security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist to /sys/.

libutf8proc>=2.1.1-3 update may require manual intervention

This should normally be automatically fixed via manjaro-system update.

The libutf8proc package prior to version 2.1.1-3 had an incorrect soname link. This has been fixed in 2.1.1-3, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked soname link created by ldconfig. If you get an error

libutf8proc: /usr/lib/libutf8proc.so.2 exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Suy --overwrite usr/lib/libutf8proc.so.2

to perform the upgrade.

Pamac: “Invalid or corrupted package.”

If you receive an “Invalid or corrupted package.” error message with Pamac and if the details contains an output similar to the following:

Details
Synchronizing package databases...
Starting full system upgrade...

Preparing...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Downloading...
Downloading manjaro-system-20180716-1-any.pkg.tar.xz...
Checking keyring...
Checking integrity...
Loading packages files...
Checking file conflicts...
Checking available disk space...
Upgrading manjaro-system (20180702-1 -> 20180716-1)...
==> Fix libutf8proc upgrade ...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) libutf8proc-2.1.1-4

Total Download Size:   0.05 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.32 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
downloading libutf8proc-2.1.1-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz...
checking keyring...
checking package integrity...
loading package files...
checking for file conflicts...
checking available disk space...
:: Processing package changes...
upgrading libutf8proc...
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Warning: lock file missing /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
Starting full system upgrade...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/libutf8proc-2.1.1-2/files: No such file or directory
Warning: could not fully load metadata for package libutf8proc-2.1.1-2

Failed to prepare transaction:
invalid or corrupted package

Try the following steps: close Pamac window first, then launch it again and start the update procedure again. It should continue from where it left off.

Issues with folder view widget in KDE v5.13

KDE introduced a new setting for icon sizes. Now you’re able to define also the size for your panel. If you have a high-DPI display, you may want to increase the value. This will fix the display issue with given widget.

icon-kde-513

Pulseaudio changes

With this update we have a /etc/pulse/default.pa.pacnew. It may be necessary to merge (some lines related to “GSettings” in /etc/pulse/default.pa ) if ‘default.pa’ has been customised.

File conflict engrampa.tap

thunar-archive-plugin: /usr/lib/xfce4/thunar-archive-plugin/engrampa.tap exists in filesystem (owned by engrampa-thunar-plugin)

thunar-archive-plugin has added native support for the Engrampa archive manager. engrampa-thunar-plugin is no longer needed. Remove engrampa-thunar-plugin to continue with the update.

1 Like

systemd-timesyncd.service not starting after this update:

14# systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service
● systemd-timesyncd.service - Network Time Synchronization
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-04-01 20:59:04 CEST; 6s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-timesyncd.service(8)
  Process: 15528 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd (code=exited, status=238/STATE_DIRECTORY)
 Main PID: 15528 (code=exited, status=238/STATE_DIRECTORY)

Apr 01 20:59:04 rakete systemd[1]: systemd-timesyncd.service: Service has no hold-off time (RestartSec=0), scheduling restart.
Apr 01 20:59:04 rakete systemd[1]: systemd-timesyncd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Apr 01 20:59:04 rakete systemd[1]: Stopped Network Time Synchronization.
Apr 01 20:59:04 rakete systemd[1]: systemd-timesyncd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Apr 01 20:59:04 rakete systemd[1]: systemd-timesyncd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 01 20:59:04 rakete systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Time Synchronization.

I do not know yet why this is. Any ideas?

EDIT:

corresponding journal entries:

Apr 01 21:23:18 rakete systemd[22090]: systemd-timesyncd.service: Failed to set up special execution directory in /var/lib: Not a directory
Apr 01 21:23:18 rakete systemd[22090]: systemd-timesyncd.service: Failed at step STATE_DIRECTORY spawning /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd: Not a directory
Apr 01 21:23:18 rakete systemd[1]: systemd-timesyncd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=238/STATE_DIRECTORY
Apr 01 21:23:18 rakete systemd[1]: systemd-timesyncd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

No idea what this “Not a directory” is referring to.

This might help:

FWIW, I don’t have that on .1096 (unstable).

10 Likes

NVIDIA drivers outdated since two weeks, latest versión 418.56

2 Likes

That was it:

1) rm /var/lib/systemd/timesync
2) systemctl restart systemd-timesyncd.service

@merlock
Thank you!

10 Likes

Could not see details in pamac-gtk when downloading updates (2,5 GB).

Downgraded Compton-6.2-2 -> 5.1-1, as it affects Docky.

*I back to compton-6.2.2, did some configs using ‘compton-conf’ and after boots and reboots it’s working. I do not want shadows.

I don’t want to be a party pooper, but the problem with encrypted home is back. I had to chroot into my system to downgrade to the previous systemd-version. Otherwise I saw that some process for LUKS got started, but no chance to enter the passphrase to unlock my home partition.

3 Likes

Update without problems, after reboot is all good. :+1:
LXQT with Kernel 5.0.
Thanks!

1 Like

gamin is now orphaned?

$ pacman -Qm
gamin 0.1.10-9

Dropped from Arch official repos too. Not needed anymore for Samba according to this.
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/samba&id=396e7890b09e66e3573ab93dd79a73d1945dbc72

Hum, so you guys are already having a hard time to keep up with maintaining the packages we already have (like having a broken compiz in Stable that needed a rebuild for days), and you add like 15+ git packages in the repos.

What? The f-?

6 Likes
"New way" of manjaro?

Xfce and Budgie, no issue, everything went smoothly. Thanks

Test with Xfce ( Gtk+ ) + Steam(OpenGl) + video( youtube , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ with htop & stats in 1080p load max 1,66 ) and Vbox ok

i add this file config missing

mhm that thermald moved to the AUR - is that a reason for concern?

better is

systemd is on 242 since 4 days
:see_no_evil:

I started using thermald on Stable when I set up my laptop using this tutorial:

Summary

[HowTo] Power savings setup| 20180906

so this would be an issue for me too. My Dell is so quiet now!

systemd 242? Where?

Updates went flawlessly for me: Manjaro Mate on my laptop.

Nothing to add, besides well known work-in-progress to fix brisk menu loading and usage with mate 1.22.

Thanks for the info. I still have my XFCE VM with an encrypted /home (and no other crypted partitions), so I made a clone of it to test that out.

I do confirm that systemd 241.1096-1 packages made this system completely unbootable on my side. The upgrade in itself (made with Pamac GTK) went flawlessly, but after rebooting, I was greeted by a totally black screen and I couldn’t type my passphrase. I could work around the issue and make my system bootable again by chrooting the system from a live session and downgrade systemd, systemd-libs, systemd-sysvcompat and lib32-systemd from 241.1096-1 to 241.607-1 with a pacman -U.

@philm Those systemd packages are not in an acceptable state for Stable branch. I am in favor of sticking with version 241.607-1 for now.

Partitioning on this VM
[xfcenew etc]# cat crypttab
# /etc/crypttab: mappings for encrypted partitions.
#
# Each mapped device will be created in /dev/mapper, so your /etc/fstab
# should use the /dev/mapper/<name> paths for encrypted devices.
#
# See crypttab(5) for the supported syntax.
#
# NOTE: Do not list your root (/) partition here, it must be set up
#       beforehand by the initramfs (/etc/mkinitcpio.conf). The same applies
#       to encrypted swap, which should be set up with mkinitcpio-openswap
#       for resume support.
#
# <name>               <device>                         <password> <options>
luks-67e14157-a7e8-4932-848d-99a7a62000b7 UUID=67e14157-a7e8-4932-848d-99a7a62000b7     /crypto_keyfile.bin luks
[xfcenew etc]# cat fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=41ca6bb7-66d2-4f8f-be76-7921ae4ee97e /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/mapper/luks-67e14157-a7e8-4932-848d-99a7a62000b7 /home          ext4    defaults,noatime 0 2
[xfcenew etc]# ls /
bin                 dev   lib         mnt   root             sbin  tmp
boot                etc   lib64       opt   rootfs-pkgs.txt  srv   usr
desktopfs-pkgs.txt  home  lost+found  proc  run              sys   var
[xfcenew etc]# 

I won’t bother upgrading my systems as long as the issue above is not fixed (even if I don’t use encrypted partitions on my real systems).

Maybe related to this (even it doesn’t mention crypted partitions whatsoever)? https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/12180
EDIT: There is a pull request that tries to solve the issue in the ticket just above. https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/12182/files

4 Likes

@folky How did you update?