[Testing Update] 2019-02-22 - Kernels, Systemd, Browsers, Plasma5, Python, Haskell

update
testing

It makes sense on my machine to setup duoboot of testing and stable with two different partitions. I do not use all the software that comes with xfce, like libreoffice-still, preferring fresh, google-chrome in place of firefox, adding smplayer and taking out VLC, epson-inkjet-printer-escpr instead of HP-lip and many other things I remove like ms-online office. I could go on and on, but the point is with testing the changes and upgrades are to the software and kernels I use on stable as well as testing.

On pacman, the function used to print pretty and colorful information works fine. They are just not well supported on Pamac GUI.

Screenshot 1

It does print garbage in pacman.log though, even when using pacman.

Example 1

Example 2

Not the most urgent thing in the world of course (and not something that is worth holding back updates for Stable), but for the sake of readability, should we just get rid of functions like note or msg and just stick with the good old “echo” ?

I updated using pamac-gui and everything went fine, although I have a problem when downloading packages at some time in the end my Internet stops working. I kill pamac and forced a reboot with reboot from the console, I know I shouldn’t do this, but when I’m back and restart pamac-gui the download continue where it stops. And I think the update was done. No problem

Interrupting Pamac (or any package manager) when it is downloading file is not that bad: at worst, one package will be corrupted will have to be redownloaded again.

When a package manager when doing the actual upgrade, now it is dangerous.

I know this, but I waited for 20 minutes and nothing… and when I back the checking for package integrity was ok

No problems, everything works.
LXQT with Kernel 4.20.
Thank you.:grinning:

VM / Xfce / k4.20 / $ sudo pacman -Syu in konsole

Update went fine.

I understand that VM testing is not perfect (thanks to Frog), but for now this is what I can do for Manjaro.
I’m new to Linux world and a bit afraid to change main system to testing branch))
Thanks.

Switched my daily driver from stable to testing to receive more reliable results ->
[KDE, kernel 4.20, luks-encrypted home partition with passphrase on boot]

• proceeded pacman -Syyuu in tty3
  • no issues during update and after reboot
  • checked most of my additional applications (e.g. nextcloud, phpmyadmin, mariadb, discord) - all work fine
  • will check rest of the applications during the next days - keep you updated

Another thing I discover in pamac is that after I made a compile from AUR and install it, I don’t have the *.pkg.tar.xz in “/var/cache/pacman/pkg/”, in case I want to reinstall this package I need to do an all compilation again. Is this a feature or a bug? I think is good to have it, for when you do a “clear cache”

On one hand, AUR packages are not official packages so they do not belong in the pkg cache. You can compile an AUR package using different AUR helpers and end up with different binaries. Which one belongs in the pkg cache?

Last I checked, yay and trizen did not copy to the pkg cache either by default. They leave the binary in the tmp build location. Pamac should leave the binary in /var/tmp.

On the other hand, it’s more convenient to have them in the pkg cache. That is why there are config settings in some AUR helpers that will copy the file to the pkg cache location after it’s built. You can add a feature request to the Pamac Git.

I changed my thoughts, I will stay with this way. There is no problem at all. Let’s compile again! :slightly_smiling_face:
i see that somehow pamac clear all build packages, or maybe is just the folder /var/tmp. I was afraid that I will stay forever with that.

/var/tmp should persist through reboots. Maybe your tmp location is different. It is the BuildDirectory setting in /etc/pamac.conf

If you did not merge pamac.conf.pacnew when this setting was added, you may still be using the old location at /tmp.

closed #33

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.