[Testing Update] 2019-02-14 - Kernels, Systemd, Browsers, Calamares, Firmware, Plasma5, KDE Framework

update
testing

No; I got burned by disk encryption years ago, so anything that is sensitive enough for encryption I statically encrypt it with GPG, decrypt it to /tmp, use and re-encrypt.

That said, I would assume that since multi-user.target is also run-level 3, your disk encryption should still be active.

Boot your VM using a live ISO and chroot into your system. You’ll have to cryptsetup open and mount your /home partition too.

Is it too much trouble to ask for the images to be replaced with actual text from live environment?

With backslash being an escape character you’ll need double backslashes to execute the command. For example …

$ systemctl status systemd-cryptsetup@luks\\x2d5834e487\\x2d2a64\\x2d44e7\\x2dad6a\\x2dad3e41509d5d
● systemd-cryptsetup@luks\x2d5834e487\x2d2a64\x2d44e7\x2dad6a\x2dad3e41509d5d.service - Cryptography Setup fo>
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/crypttab; generated)
   Active: active (exited) since 2019-02-99;
     Docs: man:crypttab(5)
           man:systemd-cryptsetup-generator(8)
           man:systemd-cryptsetup@.service(8)
  Process: 519 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cryptsetup attach luks-5834e487-2a64-44e7-ad6a-ad3e41509d5d>
 Main PID: 519 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

EDIT :

Very hard to follow all the different image tabs open, I’m confusing myself.

Your journal log error is failure to locate and open the keyfile /crypto_keyfile.bin, I assume that is the file name as the tty2 text is cutoff.

Also double check your UUIDs in crypttab agains sudo blkid.

Done. Ta. Hooroo.

So we clearly failed with systemd again? At least with luks involved?

Full disk encryption seems fine, separately encrytped /home partition seems to be the issue.

I have to report a strange problem between firefox and vlc.
Steps to reproduce the problem.
1: Start vlc and play an audio file like flac or mp3.
(My vlc audio configuration is set to use the pulse audio server)
2: Go to any Wikipedia article and while vlc is in the background, change to
“reader view” in Firefox.
The sound should be corrupted after this and vlc will behave slow and sloppy.
Now any source video file on any web page playing on firefox will be making this noise as well.
This is not the first time i notice this.
Really odd.

System info:

System:    Kernel: 4.14.99-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.15.0 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2501 
           date: 04/07/2014 
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8320E bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 67453 
           Speed: 4213 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4213 2: 4199 3: 4214 4: 4201 5: 4213 6: 4209 7: 4213 8: 4187 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 415.27 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 415.27 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:14.2 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio vendor: ZOTAC driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.14.99-1-MANJARO```

Well, I built a new KDE ISO based on this update-pack. Maybe someone might get nuts with it and give me some feedback.

I’d say the update went fine. I have LVM on LUKS (root and /home inside), but /boot is a separate non-encrypted. Updated through pacman (the only interactive thing that issues a prompt for a temporary encryption passphrase during luks-tpm2 temp initialization) in Konsole. On battery. With power shutdown in the middle of the process. Man, I was lucky to have no issues.
All errors I have are my usual ones, which I do not care about:

-- Logs begin at Sun 2019-02-03 15:10:12 +10, end at Fri 2019-02-15 16:52:21 +10. --
Feb 15 16:49:40 vladimir-xmnbp systemd[1]: /usr/lib/systemd/system/dropbox@.service:10: Invalid user/group name or numeric ID: multi/user
Feb 15 16:49:48 vladimir-xmnbp smbd[1170]: [2019/02/15 16:49:48.028448,  0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:138(daemon_ready)
Feb 15 16:49:48 vladimir-xmnbp smbd[1170]:   daemon_ready: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
$ lsblk
NAME               MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda                  8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk  
├─sda1               8:1    0   300M  0 part  
├─sda2               8:2    0 402.7G  0 part  /media/data
├─sda3               8:3    0   8.8G  0 part  
├─sda4               8:4    0  18.8G  0 part  
├─sda5               8:5    0  11.6G  0 part  
└─sda6               8:6    0  18.8G  0 part  
nvme0n1            259:0    0 238.5G  0 disk  
├─nvme0n1p1        259:1    0   599M  0 part  /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2        259:2    0    16M  0 part  
├─nvme0n1p3        259:3    0 129.5G  0 part  
├─nvme0n1p4        259:4    0   499M  0 part  
├─nvme0n1p5        259:5    0   333M  0 part  /boot
└─nvme0n1p6        259:6    0 107.6G  0 part  
  └─cryptlvm       254:0    0 107.6G  0 crypt 
    ├─Manjaro-root 254:1    0    39G  0 lvm   /
    └─Manjaro-home 254:2    0  68.5G  0 lvm   /home

I have been using pics here ONLY because i cannot copy+paste any VM tty2 text. If that limitation ceases in the live enviro then of course text will be supplied.

That said, given i am not yet live, here’s one for the road, after your \\ hint:

Do you envisage that repair of this mess is possible via the chroot? If not, & if the chroot is merely so i can repeat all the above but replacing all the pics with the raw text, sorry but i ain’t gonna do it. If repair is implausible, my time would be better spent simply reinstalling a new Testing system in the VM.

To @philm – hopefully this update will not be moved to Stable for a while yet… those of us with LUKS-/home partitions will become very sad otherwise. Loss of my Testing VM is bad but trivial. Not so much though had this happened to my real [Stable] Plasmas on-SSD.

Edit for your

@philm I recognize those. The first picture @kdemeoz is showing is just what I’ve seen. Here you have it.

You don’t need to use tty in live environment, where copy and paste works perfectly, just use Konsole. All this tty stuff is just unnecessary and extremely inefficient.

All you have to do is attach a live ISO image to the virtual optical drive and boot the VM. Once live system is up just chroot in, much simpler to diagose an issue like this.

Your images are cropping text and are thus not very useful.

Sorry my last post’s final Edit got aborted. FF-Dev suddenly went mad & used up 100% cpu on at least one core, & stole ~15 extra GB RAM. I had to kill it in a hurry. This is about the half-dozenth time that this Dev version has done this, over the past ~week.

The pics themselves are not truncated; they comprise 100% of the visible text in the VM tty tiny window. It is there that the text is cropped, & i know not how to access the complete lines w/o that cropping. I am still in the tty not to make your life miserable, but simply because i made my first post herein immediately after my Testing VM failed on its reboot, & neither i nor anyone else til now had suggested going Live… i’ve been just flat out trying to comprehend & diligently perform all your [extremely helpful] instructions… but getting churlish at me now is rather unbecoming.

All good on this end!

That is exactly the point!

Diagnosing and troubleshooting from tty is next to useless compared to a fully functional live desktop enviroment … where no text is cropped and cut and paste actually works.

Anyway your problem is the keyfile is not being read, hence the luks partition could not be opened. I can’t tell exactly why because important text is truncated.

I’ve just rebooted VM via LiveISO, & have now chrooted in. Happily i can access my VM’s home contents therein*. Now to catch my breath & contemplate my next steps.

Some time later… *am just now rephrasing my original words above, as i see now they might be unintentionally misleading. So far i have not attempted to access my encrypted /home data from within the chroot running in the LiveISO’s Konsole. When i mentioned that i can happily see all my /home data, i simply meant that if i launch Dolphin in this LiveISO i can [after supplying my password] access all my directories & files within /home. So, really, i’ve not actually yet done much of anything in the Konsole chroot, other than simply access some of my / system files to confirm correct UUIDs etc.

Edit: Um, sad:

/dev/sda1
[root@manjaro /]# systemctl list-units systemd-cryptsetup*
Running in chroot, ignoring request: list-units
[root@manjaro /]# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        30G   21G  6.9G  76% /
/dev/dm-0       7.9G  4.2G  3.3G  56% /home
dev             5.9G     0  5.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs           5.9G  8.0K  5.9G   1% /tmp
run             5.9G   69M  5.8G   2% /run
[root@manjaro /]# systemctl status systemd-cryptsetup@luks\\x2db6163f1a\\x2d778f\\x2d4c0d\\x2daa9a\\x2d28ae8f712ef1.service
Running in chroot, ignoring request: status
[root@manjaro /]#

I have not yet done your…

…[coz atm i’ve not deduced the specific command string i need to use] - is this likely to explain the un-success listed in my codebox above?

All good here on an Ryzen/Vega Desktop system with no encryption. Updated systemd, rebooted several times and played some games for some hours, all stable. Version 240 already crashed several times while testing it that way.

Installed a KDE VM system, manually partitioned with efi boot partition, root partition and separate encrypted home partition.

Getting same error as @kdemeoz on first boot …

manjaro-kde systemd-cryptsetup[269]: Failed to open key file.
manjaro-kde systemd-cryptsetup[269]: Failed to activate with the key file '/crypto_keyfile.bin' : Invalid argument
manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Failed to start Cryptography Setup for luks-[UUID]

Not sure what argument is failing, but systemd has changed and current config crashes.

I’ll now try an installation with full disk encryption and auto partitioning.

New install with two home folders

"systemd-libs and libsystemd are in conflict. Remove libsystemd? [y/N] "

What to do?

To open an encrypted luks partition

sudo cryptsetup open /dev/sdXX [label]

To mount this opened luks partition

sudo mount /dev/mapper/[label] [mount-point]

The label can be anything your want, like home, or whatever.

Running in chroot, ignoring request: list-units

Systemctl doesn’t work in chroot, many service specific systemd commands don’t work within chroot.

Only real option on systemd distros like Arch and Manjaro is systemd-nspawn, but in this case it is not necessary as the error message has been captured.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-nspawn

FWIW I don’t think the issue is with your system, but actually a systemd 241 regression.

Accept. I had the same behaviour here and no problems on next boot. Besides waiting for user managing change on restart.