[Testing Update] 2018-11-25 - The "I shoot you outta Orbit" Update

update
testing

I find this a troubling trend if the recommendation translates over to the stable branch again. Are gui helpers now being discouraged due to increasing risks of corrupting packages? I can’t remember who said this before but, are most people on stable not checking the forum announcement before upgrading?

@Frog: same thing happened to me a couple months ago, it was a good learning experience for me on chrooting into a luks partition and reinstalling a ton of corrupted packages, but I ended up scrapping the entire thing and nuked/paved a new install, became gui-shy, removed pamac, and now using yay solely (due to yaourt being stale.)

Have a look at philm’s comment in post#5. Worse than recommending doing the update in TTY is sending a bunch of users to blackscreen after update… Seems like it might not be necessary here but I for one admire the precaution. :grin:

Did the update from the TTY and update went perfectly. :joy:

Still in geosynchronous orbit here, no problems with my hardware. good work people :smiley:

Please report the crash of Pamac within Cinnamon. I already had some internal notifications that current Pamac version might have issues with Cinnamon in general when using the UI. We develop Pamac mostly for the Gnome DE.

Well, since I use the flagship edition and always use the graphical UI of Pamac I’ve no issues what so ever. Never crashed. I also don’t use luks on my end. We only test Pamac within XFCE or Gnome, but not with other DEs. Octopi for KDE should be solid as of now. However, since this update is a bigger one, we recommend TTY to be safe than sorry.

Well, maybe you don’t know that we recommend pamac as graphical package manager and the one and only CLI package manager for Manjaro? Why do you think we added the function to support the AUR and CLI with pamac? To get rid of third-party helpers like yay, yaourt and co.

Hmmm… firefox developer edition crashes every time I try to open it after this update

Regular firefox are working ok

I would like to, but unfortunately, I could not gather any relevant information about this incident that could help Pamac in any way. :confused:

Upgraded from konsole (sudo pacman -Syyu), no issues, just an expected problem with AUR’s luks-tpm2, which I was able to resolve myself. KDE, Nvidia, ext4, LUKS (except /boot), rEFInd, EFIstub, no GRUB, SecureBoot.

PS: luks-tpm2 is something really cool: no need to enter key slot passwords, no need in crypto_keyfile, it resembles BitLocker to some extent.

$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 14.205s (firmware) + 7.211s (loader) + 5.293s (kernel) + 22.632s (userspace
) = 49.341s

nice :grin:

Total Download Size: 552.59 MiB

Well, I don’t know if the crash was created by systemd or pamac itself. So I need more feedback from the community in general. Will test it on some hardware on my end.

Hmm, how is it used? If it is so cool, we might add it to Manjaro repositories at some point. Tell me more.

Sorry to reply with a link but I found a better thread to post about it.

Upgrade went just fine, upgraden from konsole - pacman -Syyu - no errors.
All good after reboot also.
Kernel: 4.19.4-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux

I receive this on boot now, what is happening with GnuPG ?

I’m using this to restore my initial configuration but it hasn’t resolved it.
How to solve keyring issues in Manjaro

Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[1]: Stopping User Manager for UID 992...
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Stopped target Default.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Stopping D-Bus User Message Bus...
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Stopped D-Bus User Message Bus.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Stopped target Basic System.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Stopped target Sockets.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Closed Sound System.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Closed GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Closed GnuPG network certificate management daemon.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Closed GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (restricted).
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Closed GnuPG cryptographic agent (ssh-agent emulation).
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Closed p11-kit server.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Closed GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (access for web browsers).
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Stopped target Timers.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Stopped target Paths.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Closed D-Bus User Message Bus Socket.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Reached target Shutdown.
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2861]: Starting Exit the Session...
Nov 26 19:03:37 xmg systemd[2862]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user sddm

See that you have pushed Pamac 7.3.1-2 which seems to work fine in Cinnamon here. With the previous version I couldn’t do updates - it stuck at 45%, and also caused increased I/O and CPU traffic I hadn’t seen before. Didn’t have crashes.

edit: must say said problems still exist… Pamac freezes when checking updates (now at 67%).

Didn’t check this post first, because Idiot.
Kernel panic after update, luckily I am running Testing, but always with the last LTS kernel as a fallback option.

Did that, started Manjaro Settings, uninstalled and reinstalled the 4.19 kernel and voila! Worked.

Since we tried to hide grub and loading screen, I have no idea what’s happened xD gona chroot again, twice in a a single month. :3

Hi pamac is showing 2 updates. If i click the green star at the systemtray, pamac freezes running updating 0, 10,…67% or 90%
Now for two times trying to update.

LF

Forgot to upgrade from tty … everything fine on KDE. :blush:

Which exact version of pamac do you use? Latest is v7.3.1-2 so far.

Hi,
i’ve rebooted the PC for 2 times. Everytime clicking on the green pamac star in the tray, -> it was freezing. In the meantime i’ve killed pamac via taskmanager and restarted it via the start/pamac. This went well and all updates were installed. Now i have

pamac --version
Pamac  7.3.1-2

Since i 've installed all the last updates very close to the anouncement, it was one version before
Pamac 7.3.1-2.

screenfetch

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.19.4-1-MANJARO
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Uptime: 13m
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Packages: 1338
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Shell: bash 4.4.23
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Resolution: 1920x1080
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ DE: Xfce4
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM: Xfwm4
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM Theme: Vertex-Maia
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ GTK Theme: Vertex-Maia [GTK2]
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Icon Theme: Vertex-Maia
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Font: Cantarell 10
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.60GHz @ 2x 2.81GHz
GPU: NVA3
RAM: 981MiB / 2999MiB

LF

@philm
I still have this issue with Pamac 7.3.1-2. Right click at the Info icon, lounching pamac, selecting updates, it went to 22 percent and freezes again.

So far, killing pamac, restarting again, selecting Updates works after killing. But a rigth click after a reboot and selecting updates always went freezing.
LF