Display Troubles With AMD GPU

Hey all,

I’m really excited to try out Manjaro, but I’m having some trouble with my display.

I’ll share specs first:

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390 Series
Main Monitor: XB271HU 144hz 2560 x 1440
Alt Monitor: Dell SE2719H 1920 x 1080 60hz

First, I installed Manjaro with open source drivers. After Manjaro finished installing, I didn’t install anything else, but I did try to change my refresh rate. Even before I did this, there was a ton of screen tearing/flickering on my 144hz monitor which is my main monitor. Oddly, the tearing would increase when there was more activity like connecting to wifi - not sure if this is by chance or not. After about 15-20 min the tearing stabilized. At this point, I changed the main monitor from 60hz to 144hz and it lost signal. Every time I tried to restart, the login screen would display on my main monitor, but after logging in the monitor would again lose signal. I tried to change it back using xrandr

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DisplayPort0 --rate 60

but this didn’t do anything. Also, there is no monitor config file under /etc/X11/xorg*

It may be worth nothing that using the xrandr command by its returns “can’t open display”, I have to prefix the command with the DISPLAY option.

My secondary monitor, the Dell 60hz, displays fine. But right now, if I try to use it as the only monitor, it also does not receive any signal. Both monitors are plugged into my GPU.

FWIW, I had an issue when trying to use pop!_os in which my monitor could not receive a signal after installing.

Anyone have suggestions? I was thinking of reinstalling the OS with proprietary drivers. Or maybe there are drivers I need to install that I’m missing? I assumed everything would work out of the box with Manjaro.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Please post your full system info as outlined here:

The ATI proprietary drivers are long deprecated and are no longer available. The AMDGPU or legacy Radeon open source drivers will be used no matter what.