Can't get grub to work/manjaro to boot (UEFI, Windows 10)

Did a big clean of my computer recently, decided to reinstall my OS’ and organise better and decided to try to switch from linux mint to manjaro, have had some trouble.

So first thing’s first, I installed windows 10 cus the other way round usually messes with grub, all seems fine with that, UEFI, GPT.

I boot in to the manjaro usb, create partitions, here’s all the partitions -
on my SSD;
partition || type || mount point
/sda1 || fat32 || /boot/efi
/sda2 || ext4 || /

on my HDD;
partition || type || mount point
/sdb1 || ntfs || C:
/sdb2 || ntfs || not sure actually
/sdb4 || swap || swap
/sdb3 || ext4 || /home
/sdb5 || ntfs || recovery
/sdb6 || fat32 || windows EFI
/sdb7 || || microsoft reserved

/home, root, and swap are encrypted, all seemed to install fine, i reboot aaaaaand… nothing, just hangs on the bios splash until i go to the boot menu where excluding USB options there’s now:
ubuntu
windows 10 boot loader
manjaro

windows 10 boots normal (though sometimes it boot in to recovery after an install attempt), manjaro boots in to windows 10, and ubuntu hangs on a black screen.

I found my way to the restore grub page of the manjara wiki and did the following:

su
cryptsetup open /dev/sda2 cryroot
mount /dev/mapper/cryroot /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash
pacman -Syu grub
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

no errors, great i thought, but nope! same issue. what am i doing wrong?

Hi @data-angel :wink:

Looks like you installed the grub bootloader to the windows efi partition and not to the efi partition on your SSD. Is the correct efi partition mounted when running grub-install?

My machines have one efi partition for each OS. This way, it don’t overwrite anything. Grub can discover other efi partitions with os-prober and add them to the menu.

@megavolt how might i check this? i thought manjaro-chroot /mnt would ensure i mounted the root partition i decrypted with the /boot/efi directory inside of that, sda1 is definitly the partition i set up for boot/efi, not the windows one

I haven’t touched encrypted drives yet, that’s this week.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/System_configuration#mkinitcpio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq4cbp5AOZM&t=36m30s

@dcraig327 hey, i went to edit my grub config and aside from allow-discards not being there it seems right to me, i added it at the end of the ‘cryptdisk’ entry and moved ‘quiet’ after it but no change

so a poster on reddit linked me to a video that showed someone marking the windows boot partition as /boot/efi andi dont really understand it if anyone wants to help me learn but well that works

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.