Missing attachment in Geary

I’m wondering if anyone else has run into this issue while using Geary (GNOME 3.38) to sync with Gmail.

Whenever there is an email received from an Office 365 email address, Geary does not show the attachment but instead there is an attachment named winmail.dat. I have to use webmail to get the attachment. I can confirm this does not happen with Evolution.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

After a couple of hours researching this, I found out that the winmail.dat attachment happens when the sender is formatting emails in Rich Text Format (RTF) - it appears that unlike Evolution, Geary is unable to handle RTF.

Can someone suggest Linux email clients (other than Evolution) that can handle RTF?

Documenting my findings so it may be useful to others in this amazing community. Turns out that if emails are formatted in RTF and sent from MS Outlook, their attachments are encoded in Microsoft’s proprietary TNEF format. Many Linux email clients are unable to decode this format.

There is a utility called tnef in the AUR that can be used to decode winmail.dat.

Geary has a dependency on libytnef, so I can’t figure out why it is unable to decode winmail.dat. Hoping someone here can help with that.