[Testing Update] 2018-06-13 - Kernels, Nvidia, Deepin, Browsers, KDE Framework

update
testing

Nice observations, I noticed them as well…including a slight reduction in the text size in the standard detailed list view and compact list view. No bother to me as I simply notched up the zoom by 1 tick (ctrl++) but the “bolder” home and up view buttons didn’t seem obtrusive to me.

The “applications” selection in the context menu was imo redundant from the whisker menu and keyboard shortcuts. I’m glad they kept the “terminal” option in the menu because it’s super convenient to opening a terminal in the selected directory.

The one I do miss is audacious integration into the context menu. For example, right click on a (music) folder and select “play with audacious” would be nice. There might be a plugin for that already in audacious…maybe I didn’t find it yet. What I’m looking for is probably done through a Thunar “custom action” explained here – I’ll have to experiment with those items later.

@annoying_daniel (in other words I stuffed up the reply buttons, again)

Good call with the zoom. I didn’t think of that. It is not just in Thunar but rather a general system thing, I noticed it particularly in Geany.

The second screenshot is from the desktop context menu, not the thunar one. Using a mouse in my left hand makes getting to the power key for the whisker menu a real slow down. Leaving aside my personal preference (I could probably adapt to keyboard shortcuts) it is definitely a bug of sorts since the .desktop files are not registering in the top level menu when they should (and used to).

This must have been a customization or past default because I never had this entry there.

This context menu is Thunar/File Manager -> Edit -> Configure custom actions

The config file is $HOME/.config/Thunar/uca.xml

This is mine currently [Note: PRE-UPDATE with xfdesktop-4.12.4-1 and thunar-1.6.15-1]

uca.xml
<?xml encoding="UTF-8" version="1.0"?>
<actions>
<action>
        <icon>Terminal</icon>
        <name>Terminal</name>
        <unique-id>1367866030392833-1</unique-id>
        <command>exo-open --working-directory %f --launch TerminalEmulator</command>
        <description></description>
        <patterns>*</patterns>
        <directories/>
</action>
<action>
        <icon>stock_folder</icon>
        <name>Thunar Root</name>
        <unique-id>1367866030392883-2</unique-id>
        <command>pkexec thunar %f</command>
        <description>Thunar Root</description>
        <patterns>*</patterns>
        <directories/>
</action>
<action>
        <icon>system-search</icon>
        <name>Search</name>
        <unique-id>1367866030392913-3</unique-id>
        <command>catfish %f</command>
        <description>find files and folders</description>
        <patterns>*</patterns>
        <directories/>
</action>
</actions>

Screenshot:
xfdesk-context2

Reference: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13810

No you are confusing two different menus. The file you refer to is part of the context menu for Thunar.

I am talking about the menu you get when right-clicking on the desktop (wallpaper). The relevant documentation is here: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu. (I not sure what this menu is properly called since if I say xfce menu people immediately assume the whisker menu…)

The entries I refer to are provided by exo 0.12.0-1. The desktop files are well formed and were working prior to the update and are not now^ - they did not change. (I’m not sure of the status of exo but it seems tightly integrated into xfce.) To find these desktop files look in /usr/share/applications/ - they graphically display the names ‘Terminal Emulator’ and ‘File Manager’ (the smaller one) - open with a text editor to get the real file name.

^ Edit: to be precise they are partially working since their entries are not registered on the root level of the menu but are correctly listed in the submenu.

thunar-archive-plugin also provides wrapper scripts for file-roller (GNOME) and ark (KDE). So if you want to keep these just in case it’d be better to uninstall engrampa-thunar-plugin because it only adds the engrampa script. So now you can get all 3 scripts with thunar-archive-plugin alone. Is that assumption correct?

My screenshot is from the desktop right-click menu [Edit: PRE-UPDATE]. I think the X-Xfce-Toplevel setting controls the Applications menu only. I can see in your screenshot the Applications menu looks the same as mine.

It seems the Thunar custom actions no longer works on the desktop for anything, even icons. And it does seem like a bug not an intentional change in UI (otherwise custom action on files would still work).

To re-enable custom actions on desktop:
downgrade xfdesktop thunar thunar-archive-plugin

xfdesktop-4.12.4-2
thunar-1.8.0-1
thunar-archive-plugin-0.4.0-1

Down To:
xfdesktop-4.12.4-1
thunar-1.6.15-1
thunar-archive-plugin-0.3.1-7 (and reinstall engrampa-thunar-plugin)

Then log back in.

How would you define a music folder?

[Testing Update] 2018-06-25 - Mesa, Openbox, QT, Gitlab, Timeshift, PacUI
[Stable Update] 2018-07-01 - Kernels, KDE, LibreOffice, Browsers, Mesa, Systemd, Deepin

Hi.
I just wanted to clarify that it was also possible to keep engrampa which is lighter than thunar-archive-plugin. It all depends on everyone’s needs.
For my part, this plugin is enough for the use I make of it, but your remark is relevant.

Applied this to solve the issue. Update ok afterwards.

Well we should get a consensus on which package is better to remove and add the solution to the Known issues and solutions. Because this upgrade error will happen for everyone I think. And giving a choice of 2 packages to remove is just going to cause more questions.

AFAIK, if you have Thunar to handle desktop (show icons on desktop is enabled), these two menus are one and the same thing.

If that is the case my thunar context menu is missing well over a hundred entries!

May I also add that the xfce menu documentation does not mention the thunar menu even a single time. :laughing:

I may have much to learn, here as elsewhere, but I have previously followed the xfce documentation to edit the xfce desktop menu without it having any effect on the thunar context menu.

Probably yes. You might post a feature request for the Docs site :joy:
When you select “Icons on desktop” then which folder’s icons would you think are displayed and which app is used to handle them? (classroom question :wink: )

Setting up a custom Thunar action was easier than I thought. Working nicely…

Any folder that potentially has audio files in it.

Confirmed here as well. Strange how the desktop menu differs from the standard Thunar menu.

I vote to remove engrampa-thunar-plugin. The “extract here” option on a compressed file in Thunar automatically creates a new folder with the compressed file’s name. Before, it would simply dump the entire contents in the working folder (which I suppose is technically-intuitively correct, but the addition of the new folder saves an extra step for me.)

Which ever folder icon-set is specified in the current appearance theme and which ever default file manager is specified in the “preferred applications” settings?

Language problem. Sorry… “Which folder?” Answer: ~/Desktop

I am not sure about the GUI way. In “file config” way, the files

/etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

contain these that control what is discussed

<property name="Client2_PerScreen" type="bool" value="false"/>
      <property name="Client3_Command" type="array">
        <value type="string" value="Thunar"/>
        <value type="string" value="--daemon"/>
      </property>
      <property name="Client3_PerScreen" type="bool" value="false"/>
      <property name="Client4_Command" type="array">
        <value type="string" value="xfdesktop"/>
      </property>

If you de-activate them (i.e in your local file) you may use another Desktop (File) Manager like [SpaceFM](file:///usr/share/doc/spacefm/spacefm-manual-en.html#quickstart-faq), or none.

Oh wow I’ve been waiting for this! If it’s only one file, it extracts normally. If there’s multiple items, it creates a folder now. :+1:

When will be the next Manjaro Stable Update available?
I can’t wait to see how the kernel 4.17.1 works on AMD GPU Open Source

When it’s done for sure. :smiley:

Sounds :+1:

“done when it’s done.” That was John Carmack’s phrase from id Software.

Not today,tomorrow :laughing: