[Testing Update] 2018-04-29 - Kernels, Nvidia, MS-Office-Online, Glibc, Firefox, Vertex

update
testing

Be more precise to which issue you’re referring to …,

Updating and reboot without problem, will report back here when something goes wrong

❯ uname -a
Linux laptop 4.16.5-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 27 07:14:01 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Update went well. :grinning:

Unsure if I should replace

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

as top line of etc/passwd, with

root:x:0:0::/root:/bin/bash

from etc/passwd.pacnew. Or does it not matter? I have left unchanged for now.

The update stalled for me at:
(21/21) Updating X fontdir indices...

Ctrl+c “solved” it.

“/etc/passwd” is supposed to be left alone. It merges automatically. If I find the link, I’ll post it. I think it was the arch wiki.

@philm I am sorry, I was doing it half sleepy so forgot the give the link. Bluetooth still work for me only on 3.18 not on 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, and 4.17.

Bluetooth: hci0: don't support firmware rome 0x31010000

It is for AR3012 BT adapter. I think that the bug fix is not done in upstream yet. But thought of reporting it.

Good update, tho i still get event16 that connects and disconnects the Pen Display simultaneously with kernel 4.17 and 4.16. Also noticed that for 20 seconds i have a blinking cursor on black screen right after grub menu, prior entering the desktop. Not the case with 4.15 and 4.14 kernels that are almost instant, and no event16
Nothing that shows that huge gap by comparing systemd-analyze blame between the boot/kernels.
No more kernel Warning and a Call Trace as i had after the 2018-04-24 update.

[Testing Update] 2018-04-30 - Kernels, Trizen, Compiz

Huge update. Everything working good so far. thanks.

…found a bunch of .pacnew files after update (xfce). Don’t know, how to handle shadow.pacnew.
For stable update, we should give some advice.
cheers

It’s explained here: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacnew_and_Pacsave_Files

Always merge files manually if needed (do NOT just overwrite the current one with the pacnew).
The shadow file you don’t want to touch. It holds all the passwords for the user accounts.

The one that is different is just a comment field where you could put your real user name or whatever you want. So shouldn’t really matter.

Trying to clear off pacdiffs I faced PackageKit, needed by gnome-PackageKit, which was explicitly installed. I decided to uninstall it.
Do we/Gnome really need it?

I had to uninstall the 390 drivers and install the 340 manually with an nvidia 550 ti.
no other problem.
thank you :slight_smile:

Waiting for nvidia-390 series, as Fermi support was dropped

As far as I know, when a .pacnew file is created, the user is supposed to merge relevant changes himself (or herself) from the .pacnew to the current file (the one on his computer). This is the general rule, and I am not aware of any exception to that rule so far.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacnew_and_Pacsave_Files#Types_Explained
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave#.pacnew

These are not my words, however it is a recent post from 12/17

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=232568

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever merge the pacnew file for /etc/{passwd,shadow,gshadow,group} unless you want to make the new comments match aesthetically with your in-use user accounts database. The only practical difference that merging can ever cause is to accidentally delete users or mangle the whole file’s syntax and render your computer maybe unbootable.

There is a note for action concerning these specific files:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups#User_database

I see, nevermind then. Thanks for the clarification.

Actually - the point is that you dont want to wipe out your current settings.
(and merge was never supposed to mean delete your current file and replace it)
/etc/locale.gen.pacnew contains some extra locales, but does not have your personal selection applied. So thats pretty straightforward.

In the case of these files one interesting one is passwd.
The pacnew contains one line
root:x:0:0::/root:/bin/bash
which is similar to the line at the top of current passwd file.
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

I am unsure what to do in this case-
add the new line? or replace the current similar line? or ignore and keep current?

Similar situation of being unsure with shadow.pacnew's new root:: line.

In the case of my list:

/etc/locale.gen.pacnew
/etc/fstab.pacnew
/etc/group.pacnew
/etc/gshadow.pacnew
/etc/hosts.pacnew
/etc/passwd.pacnew
/etc/resolv.conf.pacnew
/etc/shadow.pacnew
/etc/shells.pacnew

all others besides /etc/locale.gen.pacnew, /etc/passwd.pacnew and /etc/shadow.pacnew can be safely ignored/deleted/suppressed, unless you want to add the #comments from them.

Ill await some advice on what to do with /etc/passwd.pacnew and /etc/shadow.pacnew.

[Testing Update] 2018-05-01 - BFQ Scheduler (v4.16, v4.17), Vulkan, Hyper

From Archwiki about /etc/passwd format

account:password:UID:GID:GECOS:directory:shell

GECOS is an optional field used for informational purposes; usually it contains the full user name, but it can also be used by services such as finger and managed with the chfn command. This field is optional and may be left blank.

Right. And the current installed version uses that optional gecos as root… is there a a good reason to keep it that way? is there a good reason to remove it ala the pacnew?