Testers needed for the Gnome 20.0 release

I have a secret plan to make gnome edition the best edition we have.

For that, I ask the help of our wonderful community for testing:

Compared with the previous release there are a boatload of new features:

New features in gnome edition:

• gnome 3.36 with its many improvements
  • clean app drawer with applications sorted to folders by default
  • new gdm theme
  • pamac integration for gnome shell
  • support for snaps and flatpaks in pamac
  • improved gnome-layout-switcher
  • evolution replaced with geary and gnome-calendar
  • added deja-dup for backups integrated into gnome desktop
  • removed hexchat, bijiben, empathy, java stuff and bauh
  • added manjaro-zsh-config
  • added modules needed for zfs installation in manjaro-architect
  • based on stable branch

Please post any suggestions and bugs you find.

31 Likes

Isn't that a pretty risky move? I have nothing against Wayland of course, just that in the past, it was not a great success if I remember correctly.

That might be something that won't made it in the final release.

2 Likes

Downloading Manjaro 20.0 Gnome to install on an HP Intel I3-M350 laptop with 4gb of RAM
Once the final version comes out, there is no need to reinstall?

Thanks for Manjaro!

please correct me if i'm wrong, but the use of wayland with nvidia isn't possible. nevertheless it's always good to see progress.

3 Likes

I'm bit busy hacking r8169 driver to work nicely with buggy bios, but when i have that done, i'll install on

System:    Host: MinistryOfSillyWalk Kernel: 5.7.0-1-raw x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.4 
           tk: Qt 5.14.2 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-MA790FXT-UD5P serial: <root required> BIOS: Award v: F8l date: 07/15/2010 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Phenom II X4 965 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K10 rev: 2 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 27337 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 2200 4: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] 
           vendor: Sapphire Limited Nitro+ driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:67df 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati unloaded: modesetting,radeon alternate: fbdev,vesa 
           compositor: kwin_x11 resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.36.0 5.7.0-1-raw LLVM 9.0.1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.4 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:14.2 chip ID: 1002:4383 
           Device-2: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 1002:aaf0 
           Device-3: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo bus ID: 2-3:4 chip ID: 045e:075d 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.0-1-raw 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel 
           port: be00 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 00:24:1d:12:e6:4a 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel 
           port: ee00 bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:24:1d:12:e6:1a 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 4.78 TiB used: 165.69 GiB (3.4%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST3250310AS size: 232.88 GiB speed: 1.5 Gb/s serial: 6RYBLJ96 rev: F 
           scheme: MBR 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3250310AS size: 232.89 GiB speed: 1.5 Gb/s serial: 6RYBR7T5 rev: F 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Seagate model: ST3250310AS size: 232.89 GiB speed: 1.5 Gb/s serial: 6RYBVLSR rev: F 
           ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Samsung model: HD501LJ size: 465.76 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: S0MUJ1KP818298 rev: 0-10 
           scheme: MBR 
           ID-5: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD My Passport 25E2 size: 3.64 TiB 
           serial: 57583331453338414A544555 rev: 4005 scheme: GPT 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 45.54 GiB used: 11.00 GiB (24.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-2: /home size: 178.63 GiB used: 147.76 GiB (82.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.66 GiB used: 1.0 MiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.1 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 35 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 893 
Info:      Processes: 224 Uptime: 1h 30m Memory: 7.77 GiB used: 1.71 GiB (22.0%) Init: systemd v: 244 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 
           Shell: bash v: 5.0.16 running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.37 

It works fine with nVidia. Implimemting it in Plasma in the past from what I understand would break things, but I've had Wayland running in my Manjaro KDE testing build without issue for weeks.

No. The ISO image you got might not be the final result, but you can continue to use it if you have no problem with it. Just keep updating your system as you would usually do.

The only thing I would check out is if you are in the branch you actually want to use. If you want to be on Stable, make sure that your system use Stable and not Testing, for example.

1 Like

Bad gnome
Even though I much prefer KDE I'll give this a shot in a VM soon!
(oh, just so I can get those features in a kde spin)

also, geary is buggy and doesn't have nearly as many features. Consider adding Evolution back, it's a much more powerful suite. I admit that out of the box it looks ugly, but just configure it to look like outlook. Bam

2 Likes

I will have a look in VM, for me Gnome and i3 is the best combination, they can sit under one account without any problem, and integrate i3 to Gnome is easy and fast. I am glad for zsh integration.

Sounds very interesting, will try to test it soon. Just a few questions and thoughts:

• Does wayland fall back to X for nvidia users? (i can't test that currently)
  • Besides that perhaps it would be good to inform people that they are using the wayland session at the first boot. As there are still some problems for gamers which X doesn't have and they are unlikely to be fixed before gnome 3.28 .(https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mutter-Unredirect-FS-Wayland)
  • Also if you love to use Smplayer, well that's not a really good experience currently on wayland.

I would also suggest to let people choose if they want to install TLP in the installer. Or maybe if they want to install power saving tools?
TLP has always been a resource for trouble on desktop systems and therefore i suggest to make it optional.

1 Like

Installed on my laptop HP Intel I3-M350 without problems. The menus are more fluid, the colors more vivid. The sources are better seen. Is it because he uses wayland?
Thanks Manjaro team!

1 Like

I don't switch for now to wayland as default.. before we need to be sure all works in any situation

Geary is a simple client email. of course evolutions have more feature like a full PIM program and plugin like spam defender..

If anyone don'like the new app folder simply open a terminal and type
manjaro-app-folders r and the app drawer come back to vanilla configurations :wink:

~ >>> manjaro-app-folders                                                                               

Usage: you need to specific an argument:
(a)pply or (r)emove

~ >>>
1 Like
  1. good job as always on Gnome! I see you included ranger, good on ya! There is manjaro settings for ranger you can implement it too to have green look.
  2. zsh is not default
  3. personally I do not like categories in dash it goes against gnome philosophy, in VM I can not, sometimes, scroll all the icons in categories. links is not in any folder
  4. consider to hide avahi, ranger, links from dash completely, overal the categories are like random chosen in my eyes but as I said I do not like categories there, I have in folders only programs what I use occasionally or never. If you open menulibre it shows you what category is for each program
  5. bmenu is there, very nice
  6. gThumb, Lollypop super! It looks like I did participate :slight_smile: (I did not)

How can I know which branch I am in?
Thanks

pacman-mirrors --get-branch
2 Likes

How is that working? zpool command is not available, I dont see the zfs moduls in /lib/modules and manjaro-architect gives error that it does not find zfs modul.

I have tried manjaro-gnome-20.0-rc2-200418-linux56.iso

I would use something like this if I would not hide half of them.

in Accessories there is Timeshift and Terminal

in system there are other too

On real machine I have folder in Dash called dock where I have all the programs what I have in dock which is 12 or so.

The notice that jumps in Calamares in the manual partition section recommending GPT and an unformatted partition for BIOS comes out only in English and can be confusing for a newbie (like me for example)

Thanks

PD.: Sorry for my english-google :sweat_smile:

Seems it got removed before the iso was built. Kernel headers should be there though. Checking again with the next build.

I'm in Kyria . . . looks like using "stable" branch . . . I'm new to Manjaro & Arch, is there a way to get to 20 by way of console or in GUI w/o running fresh install?

Forum kindly sponsored by