Terminal takes forever to ask for password

I recently resized my partitions. On the first couple of reboots, after seeing the login screen, I had to wait up to a minute before being able to enter the password, which never happened before.
Then I realized that the same thing is also happening in the terminal. Whenever I want to run something as root, the system takes several minutes to ask for password, sometimes much longer. This doesn’t happen when I enter the password in some other places (e.g. when updating with the GUI package manager).
I have no clue how to approach fixing this so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you correlate this issue with partition resize? You sure that was only system change between smooth auths and slow ones
Don’t take it personally I am often guessing the wrong cultprit because I have biases from previous successful update.

Could it be that you had Stable update? There is a change to “pam” auths and they maybe timeouting on some module maybe?.

Maybe that could be cultprit.

See latest [Stable Update] 2020-08-28 - Kernels, Systemd, PAM, PAMBASE, KDE-git, Deepin, Pamac, Nvidia 450.66, LibreOffice 7.0

P.S: - I am also only guessing

It seems that you are right. Moving the partitons was caused by a failed update in the first place.
The workaround suggested in this post : ht!tps://forum.manjaro.org/t/sudo-and-a-number-of-other-things-not-working-after-update/18211 also works for me (Remove “!” from the link above. The forum doesn’t allow me to include links so I had to share it in this dumb way, sorry).
The problem remains open but at least now it’s clear what I am dealing with. Thank you.

1 Like