Terminal applications on Manjaro Sway

Hi there,

I have just decided to use Manjaro Sway on my Pinebook pro. It feels stable and very usable most of the time; however, I have a problem with terminal based applications such as Neovim, R, etc.

When I call these applications from Wofi, the applications do not launch (in termite terminal). I have tried Gnome terminal instead and these applications launch from Wofi with Gnome terminal.

Is thhere any way to launch these applications with Termite? If not, how can I replace Termite with Gnome Terminal (or another wayland compatible terminal) and make it as polished as Termite?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best

you could try to set a desktop entry in ~/.local/share/applications/ like this

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Neovim        
Comment= Open neovim in termite
Exec=termite -e neovim
Icon=utilities-terminal (or whatever icon you prefer) 
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;

and name the file Neovim (for instance)

update the datebase so they work

update-desktop-database ~/.local/share/applications
1 Like

Thank you for the response. I tried it by copying the original desktop file to the local applications folder and after a bit of editing, it looks like below

Desktop Entry]
Name=Neovim
GenericName=Text Editor
GenericName[de]=Texteditor
Comment=Open neovim in termite
TryExec=nvim
Exec=termite -e nvim
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Keywords=Text;editor;
Icon=nvim
Categories=Utility;TextEditor;
StartupNotify=false
MimeType=text/english;text/plain;text/x-makefile;text/x-c++hdr;text/x-c++src;text/x-chdr;text/x-csrc;text/x-java;text/x-moc;text/x-pascal;text/x-tcl;text/x-tex;application/x-shellscript;text/x-c;text/x-c++;

The above entry allows me to launch neovim from termite with another problem: The space neovim editor occupies is about 1/4 of the space termite is opening into. I launch neovim by first launching termite and then issuing “nvim” command; neovim opens with a text based greeter and is occupying the termite space in full without any problems. Is there any way I can fix this, i.e. to open neovim in display size of termite?

I tried the same with R (Exec line modified to “termite -e R”) and it seems to be working ok.

Thank you.

I installed neovim and tried also to execute it. .

No issues here. but I used

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Nvim        
Comment=Open neovim in termite
Exec=termite -e nvim
Icon=nvim
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;

I copied and pasted the desktop file snippet from your message. Neovim is still opening within a small part of termite (opens full sized window in Sway). I tried editing to see if it resizes with text; it doesn’t. It seems to be persistent in using the part of the termite (top 1/4 space). I guess we won’t be able to fix this…

Otherwise, R seems to be working fine. I didn’t try this with ipython, ranger (comes by default in Sway like neovim), and Singular. All are programs running in terminal.

Oke no idea why that is.
For me it works

BTw those programs don’t come default with Sway when using architect so I had to install them separately. Perhaps there is something in the settings when using the Manjaro Sway build that triggers this behavior. I don’t know but I guess your using the ARM Sway Edition?

@appelgriebsch do you know if this behavior is because of a specific setting in that build?

Ah ok. I do not know the reason; if I launch neovim from an open termite session, neovim seems to use the temite space appropriately.

I thought neovim is the choice of Manjaro Sway team for a text editor. I do not know what Ranger is used for either. I installed the rest of the terminal based programs myself.

Hu? Why do you opened two threads for the same issue? We already discussed this here: Desktop applications running in terminal in Manjaro Sway.

Please check out my latest response there.

There is nothing special for this… only thing I can think of is that the environment variable for the TERMINAL is not set and as such termite is not opened as default terminal.

Please check this post: Desktop applications running in terminal in Manjaro Sway

Ah sorry for duplicating the thread. I had created this one originally; however, noonce responded for a couple of days and the Sway forum seemed inactive to me.

I created the other one with the thought that it would be more visible.

I will try to delete this one if I can; I am new to here.