Telegram audacious nomacs vlc don't start after last Manjaro update today memory access error (memory dumped)

Hello, I’ve updated Manjaro today. After reboot, audacious and Telegram and nomacs and vlc don’t start. I’ve tried it via terminal (memory access error) and whisker menu. My Kernel is 5.10 and Desktop is XFCE. Any Idea what went wrong?
So…new information: when I start nomacs and Telegram in console as root (sudo) the programs start. How can I change the permission rights, so I can run these programs as a normal user?
Thanks Chris

Thanks for your reply. New installation didn’t solve the problem. Tried this with vlc player…doesn’t srart after new installaion.

run vlc in terminal and post console output here

$ vlc
VLC media player 3.0.16 Vetinari (revision 3.0.13-8-g41878ff4f2)
[00005616b8b15660] main libvlc: VLC wird mit dem Standard-Interface ausgeführt. Benutzen Sie ‘cvlc’, um VLC ohne Interface zu verwenden.
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Do it again, this way, to get messages in english:

LANG=C vlc

$ LANG=C vlc
[0000562e996fa640] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use ‘cvlc’ to use vlc without interface.
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben) means Memory access error (memory dumped)

$ LANG=C vlc
[0000562e996fa640] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use ‘cvlc’ to use vlc without interface.
Memory access error (memory dumped)

So…new information: when I start nomacs and Telegram in console as root (sudo) the programs start. How can I change the permissions, so I can run these programs as a normal user?
Thanks Chris

Never run apps as root - the configs created are readable by any user not writable - so running the app will fail.

Remove any configs created by the apps (look in ~/.config maybe ~/.cache) and retry.

Thanks for your answer. I just tried to find out where the problem is. Somthing with permisson rights. I tried your suggestion with nomacs. In ~/.config i removed nomacs-folder. But…no succsess…same error output as before. :frowning:

This problem has been solved and has nothing to do with VLC, nomacs or even memory - QT5, which is used a lot for application GUIs, just has issues starting. :nerd_face:

Just try renaming ~/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf into something else, such as qt5ct.conf.backup, and give it another go. :wink:

Original forum thread is #75296 (German) “Programme starten nicht mehr/Zugriffsrechte nach Update/Speicherzugriffsfehler” - this forum apparently does not allow even self-referencing, so I can’t help you there. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

About the telegram on computers, I never use the ones in the distribution repositories.

I always use the telegram website, which is simpler so I don’t have problems:

wget https://telegram.org/dl/desktop/linux" -O telegram.tar.xz

tar Jxf telegram.tar.xz

In the “Telegram” folder that will be created, go to the Telegram file and execute two clicks, ready official telegram in any Linux distribution.

This is just a suggestion, I’m not saying the repository doesn’t work

T+ = See you later

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thanks ! :slight_smile:

@l3lue.7hunder as far as I know, you can give a reference.

See:

T+ = Se you later

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.