Teams-For-Linux Build Fails

Hey Everyone,

I got a notification for “teams-for-linux” application needing to be updated. When I tried to run through the update, I got the following error:

Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Warning: google-chrome-beta: ignoring package upgrade (100.0.4896.30-1 => 100.0.4896.46-1)
Cloning teams-for-linux build files...
Generating teams-for-linux information...
Checking teams-for-linux dependencies...
Warning: atool: local (0.39.0-7) is newer than community (0.39.0-1)
Warning: manjaro-hello: local (0.6.7-2) is newer than extra (0.6.6-11)
Warning: python-pyqt5: local (5.15.6-7.1) is newer than extra (5.15.6-7)
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

Building teams-for-linux...
==> Making package: teams-for-linux 1.0.24-1 (Thu 17 Mar 2022 09:21:03 AM CDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Found teams-for-linux-1.0.24.tar.gz
==> ERROR: teams-for-linux.desktop was not found in the build directory and is not a URL.
Failed to build teams-for-linux

Anyone else get this error and resolve it? Thanks in advance to everyone for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Asif

Custom packages in any form are unsupported.

Read the error message and talk to the maintainer of the script using the script’s webpage on AUR.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/teams-for-linux

Didn’t you forget to download a file before building that package?

I am doing it through Pamac (GUI) tool that generally doesn’t have issues with updates.

Well then you probably need to do it manually this time.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_and_upgrading_packages

So, I’m a complete newb to this. So, do I just download the TAR file and then run the following commands:

Run makepkg in the directory where the files are saved. This will download the code, compile it, and package it.
Run pacman -U package_file to install the package onto your system.

And that’s it? Or am I missing something else from the wiki link you pasted?

Thanks for the help, I super appreciate it!

Have a look at the package’s home page at AUR (en) - teams-for-linux .
There, you have a section “Sources” where you can see which files are required.
For teams-for-linux-1.0.24.tar.gz, there is a download link in the PKGBUILD file (which contains the instructions for makepkg to build the package).
For teams-for-linux.desktop, there is no such link. That means, you will have to manually download that file to the directory you want to build your installation package in.

However, the package you want to install, is not the latest teams version. There is a more recent version included in https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/teams .

For this package, you simply can use a so-called AUR helper (i.e., a program that assists in downloading and installing AUR packages, such as yay).

Just do

yay -S teams

and provide your password if prompted.
Make sure you read and understand the comments to that package. To run teams, you will have to add the --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox command line switch. Otherwise, teams will not start.

They’re not the same. The first is a custom wrapper using Electron, the second an official build by Microsoft.