Taking a harder line on the forum?

Idea: new user posts a dublicate thread, they get:

link_to_the_relevant_thread
This question has already been answered here. Please use the forum search function in the future.

Thread closed.

Next time, instead of a link, they get a search term.

This question has already been answered here. Please use the forum search function in the future. Look up “thing to search”

Thread closed

Third time and thereafter, only notification.

That way newcomers still get the help they need first while also getting to learn about the proper conduct. I think that is friendly enough.

Problem: it would take a lot of work to implement.

@loontmike I rather like your idea. A forum I recently joined doesn’t allow newbies postings to appear until they have been reviewed by moderators. Not a bad approach, from my perspective.

This isn’t some social networking site, unrelated and non technical topics about Manjaro should be taken down.

No.

Yes, but this all relates to the wiki and it has been neglected for a long time.

Go hard, just be polite.

Update forum rules to encourage forum search, address help vampirism, and add a warning about trolling. Link to these forum rules when a mod deems it appropriate, this way forum content management is about enforcing of community rules, not personal opinion.

Help vampires stand out and can be easily handled over time.

Duplicate questions are the biggest issue IMO, and the primary reason I don’t really answer threads any more. Just sick and tired of repeating the same answers over and over and over and over … again.

Common questions sticky thread would definitely help with a majority of duplication, with links to appropriate forum content.

There’s many excellent ideas/suggestions above [but also one or two total hardarse perspectives that i hope do not prevail]. As someone who supposes she’s probably no longer a noob, but who knows she’s still closer to the clueless rather than clued-in end of the scale, i would just like to mention this concept… i entreat experienced skilled knowledgeable Manjaroos to always strive to remember those dim faraway days when they were also noobs, back when you had a whole lot less knowledge not only of Manjaro & Arch, but also of Linux per se.

Whilst i’m sure that many of you popped out of your mothers’ wombs with mouse & keyboard in hand already, please try to remember that you now have a vast accumulated internal treasure-trove of acquired knowledge, & maybe sometimes you might have forgotten just how initially daunting it all is to a noob. To be a bit [unfortunately] Rumsfeldian, they often don’t know what they don’t know [aka, they have numerous unknown Unknowns], & in various situations they don’t even grasp the right concepts & jargon to mount an effective Search campaign… so that they might not make the best searches using the most appropriate keywords… or they might be so overwhelmed at the flood of partly incomprehensible or completely irrelevant hits filling the first seven results pages that they give up, not realising that the perfect answer was on the unseen eighth page. To experienced Manjaroos their subsequent post might then seem lazy, unresearched… but maybe you should not make assumptions?

In my experience since coming to Manjaro late last year, the forum is [mostly] a warm, friendly mega-helpful place… it has a nice “feel” to it. It would be a shame to lose it.

All that said, i thoroughly agree with this thread’s implied adage about the preference of teaching the villager how to fish, rather than just endlessly handing out free fish. It’s just that it’d be a pity if the adopted method was so unfriendly & severe that it made the villager completely anti-pescatarian.

I wonder whether a part of an answer may be (as I’m pretty sure I’ve read already in the thread, but I can’t immediately credit it - someone remind me to come back to this or just point it out/edit my post) for those more experienced forum members to take a step back and not reply quite so quickly to every post going.

This gives space for wannabe helpers to cut their teeth/spread their wings, and gives space for the more experienced members to dig in to the more meaty topics.

Perhaps the fact that the forum is so responsive is part of the problem…

Silly OT

Well… I don’t know about that

Indeed. Let the people who want to help the inexperienced do so and also let the people who have been doing so for so long they can’t take it any more not have to.

I am not going to be annoying and quote the whole thing but that was quite well said @kdemeoz

Warmness should not change, but the thread duplication issue needs to be addressed. Part of your forum search scenario above is actually caused by the same questions being asked repeatedly ad nauseum.

Common issues link thread could be first port of call for users with questions / issues, instead of adding to the clutter. User expectations need to be managed here, warmly of course, help vampirism is growing at an alarming rate.

Issues of a system specific nature I would imagine will still be handled the same way by the community.

I sometimes make a habit of looking at a user’s summary before replying and tailor my response by how many posts the new user has read. If they have read hardly any posts then they will get the response that perhaps they need to use the search function before they post.

It would be so handy if the little glowing effect around a user’s avatar could be applied to users who have read less than 10 posts. Then you would know this person is ignorant by choice and perhaps they need a reminding to search before creating a thread.

Maybe make the link posted earlier a must read for new posters?
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/help_vampire.htm

I don’t mind when someone repeats a question that was answered and has a solution, i simply point to it. I might or i might not mention that forum search is working and should be used. If someone has a vague description of their issue, and just 5 minutes of reading time in the forum, i’ll ask for more specifics and have no opinion/suggestion. Once those specifics are there, i can speculate more openly and probably a hint/solution.
When someone presents an issue and insists on personal conclusions as a newbie to forum, i feel compeled to clarify what we are talking about, and yes, my “antenas” will be set on troll detecting frequency and my reply could be considered authoritative (a bit aggressive) even tho my intentions are not malevolent. I don’t keep grunges, people can call me names all day long, i’ll reply accordingly without the need to make use of profanity or ad-hominems, but i have seen a few instances when Manjaro team/moderators where abused by vile replies from such forum newbies, and that shouldn’t be tolerated at all. If people didn’t read the FAQ should receive a notification to read it, and maybe there is a way to identify who has read it or not. That way we know how to deal with that person in particular, if becomes aggressive …
Cheers!

Make people pass a test before they can register an account create their first thread. A few simple questions, nothing fancy. A few about the forum rules. And a few situation questions such as:

Before creating a new thread in the forum I should?

A. Press the Caps Lock key on my keyboard
B. Drink another beer
C. Search the Internet and forum for similar questions first

It could even be done with Discobot, like how forum certificates are done.

That is where I get stuck all the time!

Seriously, I liked the idea of @Chrysostomus:

Oh, can’t it be both, rather than one or the other? Unfair!

Perhaps a ratio “topicsCreated/postsRead” would be a better measure.

Anything would be better than the way it currently is, but the forum software would need to support this option.

Could you elaborate on this a little more? Who should have solidarity towards whom in this situation? Do you mean that that the second poster should not suggest the solution? Or that the first poster should not be like “Dude, don’t feed the vampire!” Or that the helper should be like “Here is what you can try. But seriously, as previous poster suggested, search the forum first next time.”

If you read more, chances are you will need less help and would create less topics. :thinking:

It would definitely stop same user asking too many questions.

I thought we have same question asked by too many users.

I think the second poster should not suggest a solution. I ask this but I don’t expect that everyone agrees.

I think I’ve fallen into this trap on (regular) occasion :sweat_smile: