Tablet HOWTO - draft for a wiki page - help appreciated

Tablet HOWTO
This text could develop to a wiki page some day. People who want to contribute are very welcome. Please drop me a line or comment.

Some time ago, the hinges of my girl friend's Medion P2122 convertible got broken. I was worried about throwing it away, so I tried to give the screen part of it a second life as a tablet. Bad idea... so many hours I wasted. But in the end I came to a solution.

What did NOT work:

• ubuntu GNOME 18
  • ubuntu KDE 18 & 19
  • plasma touch

GNOME (allthough I'm a fan of it) does not at all work, buttons are way too small and cannot really be resized. KDE is the better choice, as it's much more configurable.

Here I'll report the tweaks I applied, hopefully it saves you some trouble and gives your tablet a 2nd life as well. These solutions were achieved with highly honoured help of fellows @Librewish and @tbg. I owe you a bucket of franconian beer.

This is what you can do:

0. Make sure you have a USB keyboard and mouse by your hand.
Situations may occur you can only resolve with "real" input devices, not with the touch screen.

1. install manjaro KDE (guess Arch will do as well, but I didnt try)
Manjaro KDE offers a system wide scaling feature, in wayland as well as in Xorg. That makes it the better choice over ubuntu. I didnt try centOS.

2. Button and icons are too small to be hit with a finger, scrollbars too narrow, so:
system settings > Display > scaling > to your needs (2x may be good to begin with)

3. the bottom menu bar with its icons is too small:
right bottom > click settings symbol > scale "height" of menu bar

4. You need a virtual (screen) keyboard:

• install "onboard" virtual keyboard - see software install / remove
  • add "onboard" to auto start items.

My favourite controls:

• general > #3 display floating symbol... - shows a symbol which brings back onboard quickly when hit
  • window #3 keep at active desktop

5. After logout, you want to log back without a physical keyboard.
To resolve that: edit /etc/sddm.conf by

sudo nano /etc/sddm.conf

change

[General]
InputMethod=

to

[General]
InputMethod=qtvirtualkeyboard

6. You want click&hold emulate the right mouse button
install evdev-right-click-emulation:

• activate AUR at "add / remove software"

• build and install evdev-right-click-emulation

• at the terminal:
    sudo systemctl enable evdev-rce --now

You find the home of this piece here: https://github.com/PeterCxy/evdev-right-click-emulation
Buy this brave man a beer!

6. disable need to re-login after suspend, if desired
If your tablet is not used in a business environment, you may not want to log back after any suspend, as your tablet may not keep relevant secrets. Under system settings > workspace behaviour > screen lock you can disable screen lock. If the control crashes, changing the view of system settings (to "icon view" or "sidebar view") may help.

7. You want safe experiments
When tinkering with screen resolutions and orientations, you can make your tablet unuseable: The magnification can be so great that you can no longer manipulate your device. So create a test user and make sure, auto login is NOT activated. It may be necessary to delete and recreate it occasionally.
**USE IT FOR EXPERIMENTS WITH SCALING AND ROTATION. THESE EXPERIMENTS ARE DANGEROUS. BELIVE ME. **
(I'm writing this after a reinstall, because non of my auto-login users could be handeled any longer.

8. Try wayland
After logout, you can switch to wayland with the bottom left control (assumed wayland is installed). Try. It should grow better over the time, 2020-01 to me it was not THE choice, all the handling with virtual keyboard was close to painful.

Wishlist

1. rotate
Auto rotate should work with plasma 5.18. Right - let's wait and see.
Manual rotate works, but the screen display will, the touch screen will not. So vertical finger movements lead to horizontal pointer movements and vice versa. I'm still investigating. Bug report filed here.

2. scroll by one finger
At a smartphone, you just touch-and-shift. You will expect the tablet to behave alike, but it does not. So a similar solution would be nice. The actual sitation has the advantage that selecting text is very conveniant. So best would be to have a gesture to switch between both modes. The packages "touchegg" or "easystroke" should be able to trigger the gestures, but first we need to switch to the "smartphone swipe mode".

Bug report (RFE) filed under https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417302.

3. start menu scrollbar and behaviour is sub-optimal
Most windows can be scrolled quite well with the scrollbar. At the start menu, that is so narrow that you can hardly use it. So a wider scrollbar would be helpful. Wishlist issue #2 would help as well.

4. small icons in the menu bar are too small, even if menu bar is resized
WiFi, bluetooth, clipboard etc. are difficult to hit. How can they be resized?

These are the threads which helped me so much:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/rotate-screen/121634
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-no-virtual-keyboard-after-logout/121636
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/tablet-emulate-right-mouse-button-by-long-press/121526

My respect goes to all those who helped me so quickly and competently.

2 Likes

#5 - just disable the lock then

yes! How can I?

System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Screen Locking

All those controls under "workspace behaviour" crash when launched... ):

I think the use of tablet is way too generic. There are:

• Slate tablets (that come with their own software: Android, iOS, Chrome OS and some Windows)
  • PC tablets (that mostly come with Windows)
  • Display tablets (that are attached to a PC or Laptop) and work as secondary monitor + stylus functions
  • Hybrid tablets also known as Companion models (Wacom did a few of them and have an OS preinstalled - Android or Windows) but also can be connected to another PC or Laptop and become as display tablets + stylus functions.
  • Classic tablets - that have no display, only a surface for stylus and some touch/gesture functions, while connected to PC or Laptop.
  • Paper tablets - that can transfer the information you draw traditionally (while the paper is on it) to a digital format (see the Repaper product from iskn) - and variations of such products ...

The reason i mention that the terminology should be specific, is that, in case someone is looking for a solution for their particular issue, will not try to fix their issue with something that has no relation with their tablet, and somehow to slide their view off that, for instance, this was for a Medion P2122 convertible ... :slight_smile:

Switch System Settings to Sidebar View instead of Icon View.

Worked the other way round. Thank you - integrated into the text.

Agreed. What do you think about "x64-tablet"? Still, this terminus covers more than intended, but narrows it down a little at least.

Forum kindly sponsored by