Tabby.

One of my many FF / FF-Dev Add-Ons is tabby... Tabby - Window and Tab Manager 1.1.6 true tabby@whatsyouridea.com.

I don't need to use it all the time, given mostly i rely on [& love] tree style tab. However, when i sometimes load one of my bookmarks into the sidebar, i necessarily lose access to TST, & it's at these times that Tabby is useful for me.

Tabby is quite simplistic in the sense that it provides no direct graphical way for users to adjust its UI. It uses a huuuuuge font size, & i'm interested to learn if any of you cunning coding-competent Manjaroos know a way that a dweeb like me can reduce its font size.

I expect that it is likely ~/.mozilla/firefox/rsyjqeds.dev-edition-default/extensions/tabby@whatsyouridea.com.xpi needs editing [is that even possible?]. Opening it in Kate gives gibberish, whilst Gedit refuses altogether to open it.

Thoughts please?

The problem is probably that the whole file is in a single long line and your editors choke on it. Maybe try nano or some other lighter editor? Else, try to convert it to use multi-line format. Or something

1 Like

I think (not sure) XPI files are compressed.

Try unzipping it.

3 Likes

Thank you both.

Great idea, but it still shows only gobbledygook, presumably because...

Aha, yes, spot on. So i uncompressed it, explored the various sub-directories & files, & believe/suspect that the "offending" code is within
~/.mozilla/firefox/rsyjqeds.dev-edition-default/extensions/tabby@whatsyouridea.com/popup/popup.css, specifically being:

.category-list > li {
    background-color: #f2f2f2;
    font-size: 17.6px;
    color: black;
    padding-left: 15px;
    padding-right: 15px;
    padding-top: 5px;
    padding-bottom: 5px;
}

which i edited to...

.category-list > li {
    background-color: #f2f2f2;
    font-size: 11px;
    color: black;
    padding-left: 15px;
    padding-right: 15px;
    padding-top: 5px;
    padding-bottom: 5px;
}

The interwebs then suggested all i needed to do was compress all these to a .zip archive, then edit the file extension to become xpi, so i did.

Tried directly placing "my" xpi into the original extensions sub-directory, but FF relentlessly purged it upon launch each time. Hmmmm.

Remembered then that the FF Add-On page includes an option to install an AO from an external file, so i tried that, but...

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark & assume that FF can see that someone has tampered with the previously pristine file, hence rejects it... in which case i suppose i shall simply have to begin enjoying huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fonts.

Oh well. Twas interesting, albeit ultimately fruitless. Ta.

Maybe it needs a signature?
Try setting xpinstall.signatures.required to false (but only for testing obviously).

1 Like

Oh rats, before i saw this i'd already reinstalled the standard AO & abandoned any more attempts. Qu - If i try your suggestion, & it works, what then can i do for a permanent solution, given your valid caveat? If Answ = nothing, then there's not much point me bothering, is there?

Hm well first of all I don't know if it works, never done this before :slight_smile:

To make it permanent, you would either leave the setting at "false" (not recommended) or sign the modified XPI with your own keys - which I haven't done before either...

EDIT: see http://mzl.la/1J7Lcsp, https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/Distribution and (technical stuff) https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/web-ext_command_reference#web-ext_sign

EDIT: another idea: ask the developer of the addon if (s)he can change the font size?

1 Like

Cool, ta, shall try this tomorrow then. Time now for quite late dinner + NF. :grin:

Not much point me asking the Dev IMO, as their page already includes many existing requests for this, but nothing has resulted.

1 Like

That's the right CSS rule, spot on!

To change the font size, you can create the file ~/.mozilla/firefox/rsyjqeds.dev-edition-default/chrome/userContent.css and enter as its content:

/* Tabby font size fix */

#tabs #tabs-list .category-list > li {
    font-size: 12px !important;
}

(the size of the font depends on the font family you're using - you can change the value according to your liking)

An example of the extension using the above CSS rule:

scrot-2019-06-19-1

The difference between the userChrome.css and the userContent.css files is that the first is used for styling elements of the browser's UI, while the second is used for changing the way web pages look.
Obviously, Tabbys' popup window is handled as a page by Firefox.

The extension's code can be found here:

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Oh my great holy Zarquon, Bill [oops sorry for my error] Vasilis you truly are some kind of genial genius. Previously you've given me excellent TB theming help, & now FF. I've not yet tried it [to do v soon], but just wanted to first jump in & thank you... & also ask... how in hades DO you know all this wonderful esoteric Mozilla stuff? [probably only a rhetorical question btw, but happy to read any reply you might offer].

Btw, i do already use my own userChrome.css file in that path, so i definitely also appreciate you answering the question i'd have otherwise begun pondering, re the difference between the two files. Ta.

To end with one of my classic Dumb Questions: Am i right to assume that with your idea, i can simply leave the standard Tabby xpi alone in its pristine state? All the [Tabby list font reduction] work will be done instead via your cool trick?

UPDATE: Tried it - whoa, tis wunnerful - ta heaps! :grinning:

Btw, "classic Dumb Question" averted [well, this time...]; answer = "Yes" [duh].

1 Like

You're very welcome @kdemeoz! Thank you for your kind words! :blush:

To be honest I don't know all this stuff. I have some basic knowledge of HTML/CSS, I'm using Firefox for many years - which means I have some sort of experience in tweaking it - and I'm very curious and persistent when it comes to tweaking stuff in general.
Everything else depends on reading, searching and trial/error (hopefully trial/success at some point).

Oh, and I always have some of these pages handy:

What I forgot to mention (sorry about that) is that the CSS code will work even without the #tabs #tabs-list part. You can only use .category-list > li { some_CSS_rules }. The reason I added the extra IDs is to make the CSS rule specific to Tabby.
From my understanding, the content of the userContent.css file is going to be applied by Firefox to every page that meets that criteria. To make changes to a specific page, you'll need to add specific CSS rules that will be applied only to this page. If the CSS rule is too generic, like body { some_CSS_rules }, the styling will be applied to all pages that have the body tag (literally to all pages).

To make the code even more specific, you can use:

/* Tabby font size fix */

div#tabs ul#tabs-list .category-list > li {
}

(the HTML/CSS elements can be found in the index.html file in Tabbys' GitHub page)

To take it a step further, you can also tweak the colors of the items (tab titles) using something like this (as an example) in the userContent.css file:

/* Tabby styling */

/* List items in general */
div#tabs ul#tabs-list .category-list > li {
    color: #ff00ff !important;
}

/* List item - current window (first item of the list) */
div#tabs ul#tabs-list .current-window > span {
    background-color: #7205eb !important;
}

/* List items - hover/active */
div#tabs ul#tabs-list .button:hover, .button:active {
    background-color: #ff00ff !important;
    color: #131517 !important;
}

/* List item - current tab */
div#tabs ul#tabs-list .current-tab {
    background-color: #ffbcff !important;
}

(the CSS classes can be found in the file popup.css you already spotted or in Tabbys' GitHub page)

It will look line this:
scrot-2019-06-20-1

Maybe unnecessary or excessive for most users, but definitely possible.

(This is a proof that I like tweaking stuff a lot! :laughing:)

1 Like

Yes, though i did not understand the nitty gritty details, i had earlier deduced that's why you did it, & at that time i shook my head, grinned, & whispered to myself "oh wow, this is one clever Manjaroo".

I remain very grateful. :hugs:

Fwiw, fyi:

Summary

It's OT in this thread [so i really really hope the OP does not come by & get mad at me :crazy_face:], but tonight i experienced a quite weird anomaly with another of my AOs... in both FF-Dev & FF... Bookmark search plus 2. I discovered this a year ago or whatever, & like it for this specific reason: unlike the standard/native FF bookmark tools, this AO shows me where my searched-for bookmark/s are within the overall folder hierarchy tree. I'm a long-term Vivaldi user prior to coming to FF once Quantum arrived [since when, i keep flip-flopping back & fwd between the two], & Viv has had this functionality natively for most [not all] its life. I was shocked when coming to FF-Q to find it missing, hence this AO is very valuable for me.

However, Zarquon-knows why, tonight the search function in this AO broke [no AO update occurred to explain it], such that instead of finding any BMs, its little "busy" animation just spins around & around indefinitely. I could not find any non-nuclear way to fix it [disabling/enabling the AO, closing/relaunching FF, deleting/reinstalling the AO ... did not help]. The only thing that did solve it was to export my BMs to html file, delete all the BMs whilst still in FF, then import that same html file. Now the AO happily searches & finds its targets once again. Pretty weird!

1 Like

This sounds like it could be the product of prolonged use - if you've been using this software for a while, the internal lists might still use a formatting that isnt compatible with newer versions - thus your export/import would 'reset' it. Or any number of similar scenarios. At least thats what it makes me think of.

2 Likes

Ta. You [natch] have a far better tech grasp of the possible scenario than i do, but i had a pretty good hunch that the html export/import might "cleanse" whatever naughtiness had been going on inside the BM db from learning this trick years ago in Viv. Back then, the symptoms were not at all like i described here, however the essential point was that a Viv bug in one version caused all sorts of sillinesses to happen in users' BMs. & a lot of "strident misery" arose judging by the forum posts. I was mucking about with ham-fisted ideas to try to workaround the bug, hit upon the idea of said trick, & was delighted to observe it "fixed" it. Am happy to learn it also is useful here in the alternative browser architecture.