T410 - Can't connect to wifi | WPA2 + WPA3 (mixed mode)

thats unfortunate… maybe its a xfce desktop thing? … you could try disable ipv6:
Edit the file: /etc/default/grub and in this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT add inside the quotes this kernel parameter:
ipv6.disable=1 - dont remove anything from there, just add it
Update grub, then reboot:
sudo update-grub

I think i was able to narrow down the problem.

Out of curiousity i started playing around with the different wifi security options in my router.

Turns out:

• Disabling wifi security → Notebook can connect without problems to wifi
  • Enabling WPA + WPA2 → Notebook can connect without problems to wifi
  • Enabling WPA2 CCMP → Notebook can connect without problems to wifi
  • Enabling WPA2 + WPA3 → Notebook can’t connect to wifi and presents me the infinite password prompt

While i’m not surprised that the old intel wifi card doesn’t support wifi authentication with wpa3 i’m kinda surprised that there seems to be a difference between pure wpa2 ccmp and wpa2 + wpa3 mode (as wpa2 should still be an available option to use).
Gonna keep researching …

1 Like

After narrowing down the problem and further research i was able to solve it with the help of another post on this forum from @Pino :slight_smile:

It seems like there is a problem with the wpa_supplicant package regarding connecting to WPA2 + WPA3 (mixed mode) wifi’s. As soon as i installed the packages iwd and networkmanager-iwd-overlay (AUR), removing wpa_supplicant and then rebooting i was able to connect to my wifi without a problem.

Forumpost:
Manjaro does not connect to WPA2/3 mixed WIFI network

Additional info:
ArchWiki - Network Configuration - Wireless - WPA2
ArchWiki - iwd
AUR - networkmanager-iwd-overlay

// Edit: This seems to be a known problem as a bug report to this already exists for the package wpa_supplicant which you can find here: Archlinux - Bugs - FS#73844
As of right now this probably won’t get fixed as it seems to be a problem on the router site and not on the client site. A specific description of the problem and additional workarounds (which don’t include using an old AUR package instead) can be found here: infradead.org - Bug#1003907

1 Like

@RedPanda Well spotted :+1: I have changed the name of the topic to better reflect this problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.