Fsck failed with exit status 4

Hello i only just updated my system today, and it asked me to restart to finish the install, so I did, but now I’m have to manually start my laptop on emergency mode.
I saw a related topic to mine, but i’m worried it not the same error, and I’m unsure how to fix the issue as I’m a noobie to linux.
here’s the topic I found [Failed] Failed to start File System Check on Root Device

in that topic a user suggested using the systemctl status systemd-fsck-root.service command and the output on my system is:

`[User@user ~]$ systemctl status systemd-fsck-root.service
● systemd-fsck-root.service - File System Check on Root Device
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-fsck-root.service; enabled-runtime; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2021-04-18 20:36:41 BST; 31min ago
Condition: start condition failed at Sun 2021-04-18 20:43:32 BST; 24min ago
└─ ConditionPathIsReadWrite=!/ was not met
Docs: man:systemd-fsck-root.service(8)
Main PID: 243 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 18 20:36:37 user systemd-fsck[253]: /dev/sda1: Inode 29360255 extent tree (at level 1) could be narrower. IGNORED.
Apr 18 20:36:41 user systemd-fsck[253]: /dev/sda1: Inode 30553649 seems to contain garbage.
Apr 18 20:36:41 user systemd-fsck[253]: /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
Apr 18 20:36:41 user systemd-fsck[253]: (i.e., without -a or -p options)
Apr 18 20:36:41 user systemd-fsck[243]: fsck failed with exit status 4.
Apr 18 20:36:41 user systemd-fsck[243]: Running request emergency.target/start/replace
Apr 18 20:36:41 user systemd[1]: systemd-fsck-root.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 18 20:36:41 user systemd[1]: systemd-fsck-root.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 18 20:36:41 user systemd[1]: Failed to start File System Check on Root Device.
Apr 18 20:43:32 user systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in File System Check on Root Device being skipped.
`

I tried the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf command but was Permission denied

The user helping suggested using ‘’ Boot a live-cd and run fsck. Reboot,’’
But I’m confused on what he meant, as I only have a flash stick, so if I boot from it, it will only want to reinstall manjaro kde, and when when I inputted the fsck command I chickened out, because of its warning messages, so if that topic is the solution, please tell what I have to step by step, thank you

you to boot on USB iso manjaro
then open a terminal and run

sudo parted -l ( check dev/sdX )
sudo fsck /dev/sda1 

umm, so I have to change the bios boot to the usb stick then boot from it, and input those commands?

yes , as i cannot know what kind of partition /dev/sda1 is ,
also better for repair by fsck

this is what comes up

‘[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo parted -l ( check dev/sdX )
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(’
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo fsck /dev/sda1
fsck from util-linux 2.36.1
e2fsck 1.45.6 (20-Mar-2020)
/dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inode 29360255 extent tree (at level 1) could be narrower. Optimize?

/dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
if you are asked how to proceed:
answer yes to all
as that is the only way to correct the errors

If you have reservations, second thoughts … - make a backup of that partition before you allow the e2fsck repair to run.

I’ve dumped stuff into my second hard drive, I’m sitting here in the iso mode, so I’m not my system hard drive at the moment, waiting on [stephane] answer

"/dev/sda1’
If I run it, will it fix the issue?

also
sudo parted -l ( check dev/sdX )
did nothing

I also fail to understand how a system update can do this

I’m booted on the usb stick, do I still proceed?

It won’t get fixed if you don’t.

that is your decision to make
it usually is safe
If you think it isn’t - make a backup first.

Inode bitmap differences: -29431821 -(30553649–30553744)
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong for group #3592 (0, counted=1).
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong for group #3729 (188, counted=284).
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong (60303028, counted=60303125).
Fix? yes

/dev/sda1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda1: 751851/61054976 files (0.7% non-contiguous), 19835707/244189752 blocks
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$

So I shut down, take out the USB stick and it should be fixed?

Sorry I lost internet connection

I normally shove my files into my second hard drive for storage reasons, plus I had kde fail to boot before, and it was painful as I lost stuff, luckily reinstalling kde doesn’t effect the second hard drive

yes, the filesystem errors are fixed now
… not sure whether you lost any data in the process - that is what backups are for

I check back in a bit, ;^)

I crossed my fingers, but it booted fine, thank you so much :^D

Thank you for responding and all your help ;^D

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.