System tray volume icon doesn't show if I use GNOME, HighContrast, or Adwaita icon themes.

I have an issue where my audio tray icon won't show up with either of those themes. It works if I use Vertex-Maia or any of the Vibrancy icon themes but after checking them all out I'd prefer to use GNOME.

I did some searching and the only possible solution I came across was to rename the icons in the folder from audio-volume-<level>.<extension> to audio-volume-<level>-panel.svg. Tried that and it didn't help.

This is what the system tray looks like with the GNOME theme:

volumeiconmissing

My DE is xfce4 in case that's relevant. Other info that may be relevant:

[mainrig@COMPUTER0 ~]$ inxi -ASx                                                                                                                             
System:    Host: COMPUTER0 Kernel: 5.2.4-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.1.0 Desktop: N/A Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii HDMI Audio [Radeon R9 290/290X / 390/390X] vendor: Gigabyte 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.1 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 0b:00.3 
           Device-3: Kingston type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 1-4:2 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.4-1-MANJARO 
[mainrig@COMPUTER0 ~]$ ls -ashl /usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status | grep audio                                                                             
4.0K -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1.3K Nov  9  2018 audio-volume-high.png
4.0K -rw-r--r--  1 root root  937 Nov  9  2018 audio-volume-low.png
4.0K -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1.1K Nov  9  2018 audio-volume-medium.png
4.0K -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1.1K Nov  9  2018 audio-volume-muted.png
   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   20 Nov  9  2018 stock_volume-0.png -> audio-volume-low.png
   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   21 Nov  9  2018 stock_volume-max.png -> audio-volume-high.png
   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   23 Nov  9  2018 stock_volume-med.png -> audio-volume-medium.png
   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   20 Nov  9  2018 stock_volume-min.png -> audio-volume-low.png
   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   22 Nov  9  2018 stock_volume-mute.png -> audio-volume-muted.png
   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   21 Nov  9  2018 stock_volume.png -> audio-volume-high.png
[mainrig@COMPUTER0 ~]$

Ok well I came home to about 100 packages of updates, many of which were xfce4 related (including xfce4-panel-4.14.0-1 and xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin-0.4.2-2.1), and I tried the renaming thing again and now it just works. hooray
volumeiconworking

So just to be clear the solution is to copy or rename:

/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status/audio-volume-high.png
to
/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status/audio-volume-high-panel.svg

/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status/audio-volume-medium.png
to
/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status/audio-volume-medium-panel.svg

/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status/audio-volume-low.png
to
/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status/audio-volume-low-panel.svg

and
/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status/audio-volume-muted.png
to
/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/status/audio-volume-muted-panel.svg

Not sure why this didn't work the other day but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin-0.4.2-2.1 was the fix for this (which broke in 0.4.2-2), you should not have needed to rename anything. perhaps you just needed to restart the panel after the update?

I did that, in fact I restarted the computer after the update. It didn't get fixed until i renamed the files. I actually renamed them one at a time starting with high and checked after each time, and sure enough the icon only worked when the volume was turned up high...then medium after renaming the medium file, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by