System sometimes won't boot, only animation of Manjaro logo

Did you try pressing ESC to see some (error?) messages?

So use kernel 5.15? It’s an LTS kernel and supported for years to come:
https://kernel.org/category/releases.html

I’ve tried every keyboard shortcut I know of while the Manjaro endless loading appears. However, only Ctrl+Alt+Del works.

Yes, of course, I stay on 5.15, however, it worked on both 6.1 and 6.3. I would like to know what is the problem…

I do not know how vast your “knowledge of keyboard shortcuts” is - ESC might not have been known…

You should try disabling boot splash screens (plymouth?) and remove quiet option from kernel cmdline to see more messages.

Does the journal from those failed boots hold any messges/hints?

Yes, I tried to press Esc as well.

I don’t know how to do these things.

I’ll take a look at it now…

Found these errors

03 20:44:52 u kernel: x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT2._GTF.DSSP], AE_NOT_FOUND (20220331/psargs-330)
03 20:44:52 u kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT2._GTF due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20220331/psparse-529)

Updated UEFI from 4.20 to 4.30. Delivered kernels: 6.1, 6.3.
6.1 booted first. When I try to repeat this miracle, again the eternal load …
Removed kernels 6.1 and 6.3. Left 5.15. Tired of suffering.

you didnt say that you changed these things…
did you installed manjaro after you changed these things?
and now it works with 5.15, but doesnt work with others?

1. I had an old motherboard and processor.
  2. I replaced the processor and motherboard.
  3. I did not reinstall the system. To my surprise, it worked properly on the 6.3 kernel.
  4. Since the screen did not turn off, although I set the time to turn it off (Screen won't turn off - #6 by inverser), and I previously changed the video card from nVidia to AMD, I still decided to reinstall Manjaro.
    After reinstalling the system, it booted 3 times normally. While I installed the programs I needed (VirtualBox, Opera, Haruna MP, qBittorent, Code OSS, ClipGrub, Anydesk, Double Commander, BleachBit, OBS Studio AMF, SimpleScreenRecorder, Kdenlive, GParted, Kruler, USBImager, Filezilla) and some others… The system asked to reboot sometimes. After the next reboot, I had a problem with forever loading (Manjaro logo and three animated dots at the top). In this case, only Ctrl+Alt+Del works. No other commands or keyboard shortcuts work.
  5. I tried to install other kernels. On them, the system either boots or does not boot. More often than not, I see the eternal loading and the Manjaro logo again. It does not go to the point at which the administrator password is entered. I tried updating UEFI. Then I installed kernels 6.1 and 6.3. On first boot to 6.3 it didn’t boot. On 6.1 it booted up. But when you try to boot back to 6.1 (repeat this success), it didn’t boot again and went into eternal boot. Loads stably only on 5.15.

With eternal loading, the light that indicates the load on the HDD / SSD does not blink. That is, the disks are not loaded in any way at the same time.

I have an SSD installed (on which the current version of Manjaro is running) and an HDD for storage. Previously, this bundle worked fine on old hardware.

so you did reinstall it after replacing the hardware …
is secure boot disabled in bios/uefi?
fast boot also needs to be disabled, you may not have this option…
fast startup disabled in windows if you are dual booting…

the only suspicious package im seeing is: ClipGrub, which is not in official repos nor is it in aur…

you can enable early loading of the video driver:
kate /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
and edit the modules section to look like this:

MODULES=(amdgpu)

save it and update it:
sudo mkinitcpio -P
reboot and test…

also does it happen on xorg? since you are using wayland…

1 Like

Sorry, I mistyped: ClipGrab…

The fact is that I tried both xorg and wayland … But the download, as far as I understand, when it freezes, does not reach x11 / Wayland

It is amazing. How did you come up with such an elegant solution? I tried to do as you said. Installed 6.1+6.3 and both kernels are now working.
The only thing I don’t like about Wayland is that it doesn’t save open Kate+Dolphins. Those. saving the session does not work. And it works on X11.
But it’s not as stressful as my more global problem, which is solved with your help. Thank you.
In the settings it was:
MODULES="crc32c-intel"
Must be enclosed in quotation marks:
MODULES="amdgpu"
Thank you.

it should not be in quotes but in brackets like this:

and im not sure if the early loading of the video driver helped, or you removing the crc-intel from the modules section…

I had quotes there and I put it in quotes. Everything is working. =)))

I replaced everything that was written there with this amdgpu, only in quotes. I don’t really care what’s in there. I made savings in TimeShift))) and at the same time everything works

By the way, I didn’t even run the command to update. Then he just did it. But still the system works on 6.3 =)
sudo mkinitcpio -P

so you didnt change anything … if you didnt rerun the mkinitcpio command, and didnt put it in brackets as is instructed in the screenshot, your system is in the same state as before… so change it as instructed…
probably what helped was to reinstall kernels, which automatically updates mkinitcpio, so it is in the same state as before anyway…

But I previously reinstalled the kernel 10 times. And now I first installed 6.1 and it worked on it, and then I installed 6.3.
I ran each of these kernels three times and they started all three times. Incl. 6.3 also ran a few more times after executing this command…

well i dont know what happen … but you didnt change the mkinitcpio properly, and the only thing you change was reinstalling kernels… but the important thing is that it works as it should…

I understand. after installing 6.1 and 6.3, I ran that command, but it no longer affected the work. those. everything works, glory to prosperity

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.