System settings - Locations

I set my locations for my home directory to another hdd and it works until I reboot then they are back to their original position. Is there any way to automate this on boot or make it permanent?
Thanks.

Can you post /etc/fstab ?

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=FE7C-919F                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=8a0e2b31-2f76-4693-88dc-743c914c414f /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1

I didn’t add anything to fstab because I made the changes in Locations:

I’d like to ask how you did this.

I’m also not quite sure what you might have meant with:
“I set my locations …”

See the post above…I changed it

I saw it - thanks!

What you want to do involves:

• mounting your chosen drive via /etc/fstab od systemd-mount (add an entry for it to /etc/fstab, for instance)
  • creating those locations/names on your chosen drive
  • make sure you can write to those locations (change the permissions to allow you access)
  • symlink your existing directories to those locations

Detailed descriptions are not possible at this time for me - too much writing/time involved.
Maybe someone else might want to do that - but all that has been described in other posts here already …

Thanks!
I did try to edit the /etc/fstab but I think it screwed up my system and I had to re-install. I will do more research.
Thanks for your suggestions.

You can set the discs with the partition manager to the descired locations of the directory tree.

/run is a tmpfs, which means that it only exists in virtual memory. /run/media is therefore not a static mountpoint. It is intended for the on-the-fly ad hoc mounting of removable media.

I would suggest putting your entire /home ─ or rather, its contents ─ on the other drive. I’ve written a tutorial on how to do this from an already installed system. :arrow_down:

I have always wondered shouldn’t UUID be PARTUUID in this case?
By the way, I tried to move the entire home, pretty much the same way your tutorial suggest, and when I tried to reboot nothing but a black screen was there. I was totally locked out. But I am sure I did something wrong. I will go back and study your tutorial again.
THANKS!

I reread your tutorial – this seems to be my problem – Next, you have to completely log out of your GUI environment. This will close a larger number of open files and system libraries, and that’s what we need.

1 Like

Either can be used, but they are different things. The PARTUUID is the unique partition identifier that is stored in the GPT partition table, while the UUID is a unique identifier that is stored in the filesystem header. In other words, if you reformat the partitionn, then the UUID will change, but the PARTUUID will not.

Likewise, one can also optionally set (and then use) a LABEL and/or a PARTLABEL. The former is stored in the filesystem header and the latter is stored in the GPT partition table. But the labels are optional and are set by the biological unit between the keyboard and the chair, which means that they’re not guaranteed to be unique. :wink:

THANKS! I always wondered about that.

1 Like