System Settings broken after theme change

Hi guys, I’ve changed my theme but then I figured out that not all themes are compatible. Now I can’t change it back because System Settings won’t open.

I tried changing it through the terminal. It changed some UI elements but not all and I still cannot open settings:

[werner@werner-manjaro ~]$ lookandfeeltool -a org.kde.breezedark.desktop
QDBusConnection: error: could not send signal to service “” path “//home/werner/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals” interface “org.kde.kconfig.notify” member “ConfigChanged”: Invalid object path: //home/werner/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals
QDBusConnection: error: could not send signal to service “” path “//home/werner/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals” interface “org.kde.kconfig.notify” member “ConfigChanged”: Invalid object path: //home/werner/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals

You can try this command to access settings
systemsettings5

This Should be what you are looking for

lookandfeeltool -a org.kde.breeze.desktop

systemsettings5 doesn’t open any settings in gui or command prompt. Might be because of the theme. I’m getting this twice when running your command:

Did you see if there was anything useful was in the forum I linked?

So it seems you already have the default theme set you need to try reinstalling it.

sudo pacman -S breath2-icon-themes breath2-wallpaper plasma5-themes-breath2 sddm-breath2-theme

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Install_Desktop_Environments#Install_a_basic_KDE_Plasma_environment

Try this
lookandfeeltool -a org.kde.breezedark.desktop

Sorry messed up Reply

I tried the dark theme as well but with no luck

Reinstalling the theme fixed it for me. Thanks a lot EmynFuin.

Themes can be dodgy.
One thing I LOVE is that you can use different (and your own edited) colours with most themes…

For ‘Global’ I can vouch for Gruv, Nordic (with darker colors), Layan, Manjaro.

Breeze is good, but Lightly is a much nicer ‘default’ application style - and then there’s kvantum which is nice, but those themes (if you don’t get a matching theme) often need editing. I use ‘GruvEdit’ because the original Gruv wasn’t to my taste.

Look also at Breeze with Transparency for plasma style that fits all themes (Nordic is fine, Rounded Color is interesting.

Material window decorations (git) can have an inline menu - great desktop default except if you use tiling, when you can ditch the titlebars and use a global menu instead.

Icons - Breeze Chameleon Dark, with a custom system-folder icon (because these icons change colour to match the theme, but not the basic breeze blue system-folder icon).

Once you get a theme up and running, use PlasmaConfigSaver to back it up - apply other stuff and then try to reload it to check it’s okay… so now you can quickly load up a ‘comfort’ or a ‘cool’ or a ‘breezy’ desktop feel at will.

Don’t forget your ‘default’ first.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.