System read-only

Hi @randomidiot, and welcome!

1. Please see How to provide good information
    1.1. If applicable, please see [HowTo] post screenshots and links

2. Much more information is necessary. If possible, boot into a Live ISO environment. From there, open the browser here and provide us with the output for:

lsblk
2 Likes
│ File: /etc/fstab
───────┼────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
1   │ # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
2   │ #
3   │ # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
4   │ # be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
5   │ # disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
6   │ #
7   │ # <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
8   │ UUID=****-****                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
9   │ /dev/mapper/luks-*********************************2b /              ext4    rw,defaults,noatime 0 1
10   │ tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
11   │ /dev/mapper/luks-*********************************4b /home      ext4    rw,relatime 0 2

I highly recommend reading this [Tutorial] Understanding and working with UNIX filesystems and permissions

If by system you mean the root partition, aka / then is not available to write there as your user, never was the case. You can write on your home and on partitions dedicated for data that you took ownership ower.

3 Likes
root# mkdir /test
mkdir: cannot create directory '/test': Read-only file system

here is it, my / read-only, what can i do? (im linux noob)

Have you start reading that article i linked?
If you really want to creat that folder, then you run
sudo mkdir /test
to remove it
sudo rm -rf /test

but what are you doing with it? Each time you want to do something , as your user, you will have to get administrative privileges … So why is better to have a folder there than on your home direcotry?

2 Likes

Work thorough this: [HowTo] become a Manjaro power user when you're a wizard at Windows but a N00b at Manjaro / Linux

In short: that looks correct, it’s for security.

I have read-only system! This dir just for test, and i run mkdir with su

its not looks correct. i need full rules to my system!

Don’t yell, we’re trying to help. Work thorough that first.

That is how is supposed to be in linux. / aka root partition is root owned, not by user.

No, you don’t, because you admitted:

Will not entertain this topic till you confirm reading the article i posted.

4 Likes

yes i need full rules, what nonsense? What am I on Windows? I already know that in this article, but can you just say what to do. the problem is in fstab?

@randomidiot Not having access to the root filesystem is by design and should not be changed, if you want to modify or delete something you should use the sudo command or open a folder as administrative user in Nautilus, any changes to your root files without knowledge will break your Operating system, if you need to change your files you can always put them under( /home/ramdomidiot/ ) all files under your home folder are writable for your user, anything else mentioned above by other users is still valid, I am reopening this post in case you have any more questions, if you want to solve a different issue open a different post, do not open repeated posts.

3 Likes

Thank you! but i have read-only system on root account…

[name-pc/]# whoami
root
[name-pc/]# sudo mkdir /test
mkdir: cannot create directory '/test': Read-only file system
[name-pc /]#
1   │ # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
2   │ #
3   │ # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
4   │ # be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
5   │ # disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
6   │ #
7   │ # <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
8   │ UUID=****-****                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
9   │ /dev/mapper/luks-******************************************2b /              ext4    rw,defaults,noatime 0 1
10   │ tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
11   │ /dev/mapper/luks-******************************************4b /home      ext4    rw,relatime 0 2
12   │ /swapfile none swap sw 0 0

i have read-only / . what can i do?

@moderators, this is a duplicate of System read-only, also posted by @randomidiot.

1 Like

whaat? i need help not unlist

Because you are not showing a cooperative manner in the other thread. Respect what has been mentioned in the other thread, first.

Opening a new thread for the same issue is not acceptable, it’s actually against the rules.

1 Like

in the last branch they did not help me!