System partially working after recent update

Good day again, fellas.

So I am having this strange issue where after installing an update (unstable branch), the last one being a plymouth unstable update, by itself, I am unable to boot back into Manjaro. I get a black screen with no access to tty at all. Pressing the keys does nothing. The screens are both turned on, but there’s no response. Pressing escape also does not show the usual text.

I’ll start with posting my Kernel and etc.

System:
  Kernel: 6.6.8-2-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.2.1
    clocksource: tsc available: hpet,acpi_pm
    parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.6-x86_64
    root=UUID=0765f152-d13d-4074-881e-6c1a42c71dd2 rw splash quiet
    udev.log_priority=3
  Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.10 tk: Qt v: 5.15.11 wm: kwin_wayland vt: 1
    dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux base: Arch Linux

My plymouth version is 23.360.11-1
My systemd version is 255.2-1
and filesystem is 2023-12.21-1

I can provide more logs if required, I just don’t know which ones to share.

I am able to get back in if I simply forcefully power the system off and try again, it always works after the black screen boot, so I can retrieve logs while the system is running.

One last thing, after the plymouth update, I pressed escape on the usual shutting down animation to see the output, and the screen looks like the image here.

Edit: The plymouth update might not be responsible, but it was the last thing I did.
Edit 2: I am fully up to date via pacman -Syu

Unless you have a reason to use plymouth, I recommend you remove it.

2 Likes

My suggestion: Uninstall Plymouth completely.

Important: The correct procedure to uninstall Plymouth can be found in the Plymouth (Manjaro Wiki) under the heading of REMOVAL. Cheers.

1 Like

That did indeed solve the problem completely, thank you both.

Most welcome. Cheers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.