System monitor consumes an enormous amount of Memory

System monitor app consumes an enormous amount of Memory (sometimes making the system totally hang).

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.87.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.14.10-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 15,5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2

Does it do that all the time, even after you stop it and restart it? On my system here, it takes up only 106 MiB.

It drops off the memory on restart it, but it gets devouring the memory in some varying frequency (say, once in a few days).
In some cases I could not restart it cause it had made the system frozen, so I only had to reboot (through power button).

I couldnt for the life of me figure out why yours was so different and that both were taking so much memory…
Then I realized I have ksysguard not plasma-systemmonitor
So to test…

I didnt let it run anywhere near ‘a few days’, but did not notice it running away.
Depending on your use-case, this may provide a possible alternative though.

But are you on Stable or Testing? I’m on Stable ─ and thus on 5.22.5 ─ but I was told that ksysguard will be dropped in 5.23 in favor of plasma-systemmonitor (which I also have installed).

Note: I myself prefer ksysguard, because plasma-systemmonitor doesn’t find the temperature sensors for my CPUs. I do keep ksysguard running all of the time.

I am on unstable … its still here.
Well … as in its in the repos, wasnt removed or replaced, and runs fine.
(I had to quickly install plasma-systemmonitor to make the post above)

1 Like

It’s still gluttonous.

One of the conveniences of my using of plasma-systemmonitor is (compared to ksysguard) that it can group related processes into one entry (as shown in Applications section … Konsole). ksysguard renders all processes independently.

My custom plasma-systemmonitor consumes less than 200 MB on my system.

But why does your system monitor consume too much?

• Try to reinstall plasma-systemmonitor
  • Remove cache after update: KDE - ArchWiki

Don’t do that!! See [HowTo] reboot / turn off your frozen computer: REISUB/REISUO

Can you make a new screenshot, what other process uses plasma-systemmonitor ?

Open plasma-systemmonitor → Click “Processes” → Select “Display as tree” and “Show:All processes”

Yes, here is a screenshot of the current state: