System hangs when starting KDE X11 from TTY2

is it possible that the graphical session is linked to TTY2 ? can you check Ctrl-Alt-F3 instead and report.

1 Like

Indeed. Ever since about two months ago, it is no longer guaranteed whether sddm will start on tty1 or tty2. If one needs a free tty with Plasma, then one should use tty3.

Nothing on TTY1-7. Not a real hang, because I’m able to access them, but when I boot up X11 on TTY1, it just black screens. startplasma-x11 returns “$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.” ($DISPLAY does not seem to be set.)

I’ve done a few things since the last install, but from the looks of it, Manjaro should be working off the Nvidia drivers. I worry that’s the core issue.

In theory, yes. But Nvidia has already been a pain in the behind for a very long time now, and it doesn’t look like they plan on changing their attitude. :man_shrugging:

*My Manjaro install(, apologies. Though, this is far more of a hassle than I thought it’d be; such is unfortunate.)

okay so let’S try some magic (hopefully). please boot into console. install envycontrol (it’s in the aur)

pamac install envycontrol

then you’ll need to edit the grub and mkinitcpio with sudo rights.

edit /etc/default/grub and add

nvidia_drm.modeset=1 

to the existing

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="

edit /ect/mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES=(nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm)

run

sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo update-grub

Got error: target not found: envycontrol

Try… :arrow_down:

pamac build envycontrol
1 Like

as @Aragorn suggested try the build option, if this isn’t succesful try

yay -S envycontrol
1 Like

Got the build option. Making the edits now.

After making the edits, should I just reboot?

yes, but you’re not finished yet but try if you can boot into a graphical session now and report.

Same deal; grub booted fine, but I black screen. tty1 and tty2 seem occupied, but tty3 is fine.

can you explain what things you did before ?

I fresh installed, then updated to latest official drivers from the site; on previous installs, I tried steps similar to what you described, but wasn’t sure what was doing what. Haven’t done much this time around.

okay, please go to TTY3 and run

sudo envycontrol -s nvidia

reboot and report

I seem to boot into X11 just fine. envycontrol seemed to do the trick; thank you very much. Would I be able to try booting into Wayland from here if my drivers are up to date?

not that simple, but we can check some things that you’re able to run also wayland, but remember that the whole rendering is done with intel and software. you’re loosing a lot of performance, but anyway we check it and also please post the output of

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

back in some minutes… need a smoke

Don’t Do That!™

Nvidia and Wayland don’t get along.

1 Like

may you post the output of

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset