Starting around late March, my laptop (Unmodded Lenovo ThinkPad P52s) has started freezing when i do any of the following:
mhwd, etc. (every time)
- try to shut down, reboot, suspend, etc. (only some of the time)
- try to boot up after shutdown (usually fails once or twice, getting stuck on Lenovo™ boot screen, and then works)
- plug or unplug the charging cable (only some of the time)
- used to freeze when i ran anything related to Steam, but after kernel update to 5.15 now it just quits immediately instead of freezing.
- sometimes just randomly, unknown cause.
The system becomes totally unresponsive, even when running the commands from a different tty - i can’t move the mouse, or use
CTRL+ALT+BKSP, or change tty, and generally i just hard power off the computer as a result.
I would like to post the output of
lspci but I can’t for obvious reasons However I do know some things about the hardware:
- SSD Model - LENSE20256GMSP34MEAT2TA (found using
- CPU - Intel Core i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz (recovered from notes i have made)
- GPU - maybe some kind of nVidia, although i can’t remember
I’m running kernel version 5.15.
I have looked around various forums for a possible cause - some places say it might be a firmware issue with the SSD, or a nvidia driver issue, but I can’t run
mhwd to update the driver and i can’t find any firmware updates for the SSD because it’s some proprietary Lenovo garbage.
The only output i get when the system freezes is when i’m shutting down or rebooting, in which case the screen just gets stuck in what i think is lightdm, with one of a similar set of error messages generally looking like this, sometimes without the line about NVMe:
Unmounting all devices. Detaching loop devices. Disassembling stacked devices. [ 1161.235422] nvme nvme0: Device shutdown incomplete; abort shutdown [ 1161.410161] xhci_hcd 0000:3f:00.0: Host halt failed, -19
This is the output of
journalctl -xe -p3 -b-1:
bal. 29 11:31:19 venus kernel: bal. 29 11:31:22 venus kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:3f:00.0: PCI post-resume error -19! bal. 29 11:31:22 venus kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:3f:00.0: HC died; cleaning up bal. 29 11:31:49 venus lightdm: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file bal. 29 12:37:10 venus kernel: rmi4_f30 rmi4-00.fn30: rmi_f30_attention: Failed to read F30 data registers: -6
(my datetime locale is lithuanian – ‘bal.’ means April)
If someone could help me out i would really appreciate it, this freezing has been really bugging me for a while!