bumblebee
nvidia
crash

Hi,
Im using manjaro with i3 and since the last update, whenever im doing

reboot

or

sudo systemctl poweroff

The system crashes and the screen freezes.

On doing

mhwd -li
im not getting any output

I use Nvidia gtx-1050 and this is happening since recent driver update for nvidia

Is this a hybrid/optimus laptop or is that a dedicated gpu? If it is a dedicated gpu, try going into your BIOS and disabling the intel GPU.

I would also suggest installing and testing both older and newer kernels. Try at least these kernels 4.14, 4.19, and 4.20. Install kernels through Manjaro Settings Manager, and always have at least two kernels installed at all times for safety.

It uses optimus graphics.

@tbg
The issue persists on all the 3 kernels

Well then if that’s not an helping I expect your best option would be to downgrade your video driver. Hopefully you have working driver versions in your package cache.

are you using the free nouveau bumblebee? nonfree nvidia bumblebee? or did you manually setup Prime or optimus-manager?
mhwd -li (i must be tired)

also does the same thing happen (no output) when you try inxi -G or nvidia-smi ?

Getting stuck at both

inxi - G

And

nvidia-smi

I’m using nvidia bumblebee

Try to delete xf86-…-nouveau.

i was almost certain you were gonna say nouveau, it acts like this for any call to the gpu. you can try logging out of you desktop environment and ctrl+alt+f2 to get to a tty and see if mhwd will let you re-install drivers.
(make sure of which drivers you have installed, mhwd -li should work from tty)

sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
sudo systemctl enable bumblebeed
reboot
see how it goes, if not i think @tbg 's idea would be the way to go considering it happened right after an update.

also check cat /etc/modprobe.d/*
“blacklist nouveau” should be in there amongst others.

I’m unable to switch to tty. After logging out from i3wm, when I press ctrl+alt+f2, I’m getting a blank screen.

ctrl+alt+f3 or f5-6-7-8
you should be able to get to tty but if not you can boot up a manjaro live usb and
manjaro-chroot -a
to chroot into your current install and do the necessary steps.

Here’s the output of

cat /etc/modprobe.d/*

##
## Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection
##

options bbswitch load_state=0 unload_state=0
##
## Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection
##

blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidia
blacklist nvidia-modeset
blacklist nvidia-uvm
blacklist ttm
blacklist drm_kms_helper
blacklist drm
blacklist pcspkr
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidia_drm
blacklist nvidia_uvm
blacklist nvidia_modeset
blacklist nvidia
blacklist r8169

Is everything okay?

those are listed twice, but i dont think thats the problem. maybe a symptom of the problem.

ls -la /etc/X11/mhwd.d
ls -la /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

it would help being able to see what drivers mhwd has installed. if you cant get to a tty to check, chroot from a live environment and post the outputs of mhwd and mhwd -li

Outputs that you asked

ls -la /etc/X11/mhwd.d

total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 26 01:06 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Nov 24 19:30 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  581 Dec 26 01:06 intel.conf

ls -la /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

total 24
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 28 12:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Nov 24 19:30 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  300 Dec 25 23:44 00-keyboard.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  105 Jan 28 12:08 10-optimus-manager.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  131 Nov 24 19:30 30-touchpad.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   26 Dec 26 01:06 90-mhwd.conf -> /etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf

mhwd and mhwd -li give no output and the terminal gets stuck

ok, your not using bumblebee. it looks like you have optimus manager installed. again, without more info, there isnt much more i can suggest to help you. get yourself on a manjaro live environment, connect networking and
manjaro-chroot -a
so you can actively provide more info.

alternatively you can try changing the startup mode so that manjaro runs on either intel or nvidia.

You can also specify which GPU you want to be used by default when the system boots :

optimus-manager --set-startup MODE   
(replace MODE with either intel or nvidia)

read through the tutorial and linked pages and see if anything you did may of caused this.

inxi -G

12Graphics:  12Device-1 Intel UHD Graphics 630 12driver i915 12v kernel 
           12Device-2 NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] 12driver N/A 
           12Display 12server X.Org 1.20.3 12driver intel,modesetting 12resolution 1920x1080~60Hz 
           12OpenGL 12renderer Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) 12v 4.5 Mesa 18.3.2

mhwd -li

> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee            2018.08.09               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs

nvidia-smi

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Thank You

gave up on optimus-manager and went back to bumble bee i see. optimus-manager can be buggy for some people (myself included).

note: it you want your nvidia information to come up with inxi or nvidia-smi you can run them with primusrun or optirun. or you run glxspheres64 while you do anything that requires the nvidia to be on to read.

primusrun glxgears64(leave it running)
inxi -Gxxxz
nvidia-smi
of course you could also run either one of those commands with opti/primusrun

Hi, didn’t solve my problem yet. Still facing issues