System crash, cannot reboot

grub
boot
encryption

Hello, my Dell xps crashed and is unable to restart past grub. Can anyone please give me some guidance how to fix it? (Hopefully very explicit directions for a lamen)

When booting I only can see this;

ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0 could not fetch firmware file 'ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmeware-5.bin': -2

The system crashed suddenly while in use and now unable to reboot.

1 Like

Not sure about the error messages but my next step would be to boot from a live USB, (the one you used to install the OS?) and see if you can open your luks container.
If the container is still in good shape all you should have to do is to select the drive and wait for the password prompt to appear.

If that doesn’t work the error which comes with it may provide additional hints.

Well, the first thing before arriving to that screen is that grub prompts for a password to decrypt.

Then I arrive at this menu before seeing that original picture.

Is the first password prompt from grub not the one for the luks?

No, your first password opened the luks container, means your issue is inside the container and not the container itself. I guess that is good news.

If you were to boot from your USB stick you can open the container and browse through the filesystem to look for the root cause of your issue, and, probably even more important, make a backup of your data before you start messing around.

Well, can you recommend what it is I’m looking for? Some log file or output from command line or something?

Not really, maybe you’ll find that your file system is corrupt and only half of it is present, maybe it’s sufficient to changeroot into the old OS and do a grub update.
Maybe there are others here which can read something into the error message, I can’t hence why I would start my digging around with the live USB system

Probably not related to the booting problem, but that file doesn’t exist in recent linux-firmware package. Only firmware-4 and firmware-6 are available here.

You could boot again but remove the “quiet” from GRUB command line to see more info.

After omitting “quiet” I get nothing but “OK” and and system stops indefinitely at “reached target graphical interface”

Haven’t been able to make a bootable USB yet but will follow up shortly

I have booted from USB and have what looks like complete access to all prior files on the drive. I don’t know where to begin in trying to find what went wrong though. Is there some diagnostic I could run?

Would “replacing a partition” be a viable solution that effectively preserves my installed programs? In particular virtualbox and it’s virtual machines

Well, my troubleshooting capabilities are limited, maybe someone else can chip in here.
But given that all files seem to be there we at least know that the container and file system are ok. You could no do a backup of your data to another USB attached drive.

Given that your last log entry is Graphical Target reached I would suspect you got a an issue with the X server, in which case you may be able to boot from your disk, logon to a tty (Ctrl-Alt-F3 or F4) and run dmesg -T or journalctl to see if you get any meaningful error messages.

You may want to try this:

I assume I am a btrfs user as when I follow normal directions I get an error saying “you can’t mount 0!”

In which case I’m lost at step 5c. I have nvme0n1p1 as root, so I’m guessing “other” partitions in the example are (luks) nvme0n1p2, and (luks linuxswap?) nvmeon1p3. Correct?

In which case can you advise what I should be doing at 5c?

You don’t really need to mount the encrypted swap partition. Is your whole system encrypted? Or just /home?

I think yes, whole system is encrypted. When I turn the system on the first thing I do is decrypt after the Dell logo screen

After mounting from within KDE partition manager

At this point I’ve done 5b with “nvme0n1p1”

I suppose /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt/@/home but “mount point does not exist”

Hold up. /dev/nvme0n1p1 appears to be a 512 mb EFI (esp) partition.
You system appears to be /dev/nvme0n1p2.
Encrypted swap is the third partition.

Tried;
Sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt/home
“mount point does not exist”
tried;
Sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /home
"unknown filesystem type ‘crypto_luks’

I might as well add encrypted drives to my guide. You are using standard ext4. It is not working because you are encrypted, and the system doesn’t have your password to decrypt it,

Gparted tells me that
First partition = Efi (boot) partition
2nd partition = EXT4 full manjaro install (encrypted)
3rd partition = Encrypted swap

The tutorial I posted does not support encrypted drives at this point. Try the other one…
With my method, The drive is never decrypted, therefore confusing the system. The second tutorial decrypts the drive, allowing you and the system to read it.

Thanks for guiding me thus far. Here I am,
1.Found the name
2.Unmounted all drives in partitionmmanager to start over
3.opened nvme0n1p2
4.mounted nvme0n1p2

My next question is do I also need to mount nvme0n1p1 and how?

Did mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot
Want to make sure it’s all correct before