System boot failure after installing basic cinnamon enviroment on manjaro kde 18.0

I had installed basic cinnamon enviroment over manjaro kde 18.0 as per the process available on https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Install_Desktop_Environments#Install_a_basic_cinnamon_environment
But now system in not starting, its halt at screen saying " failed to start light display manager" image attached

I login with ctrl+alt+f2
And tried to enable and start lightdm.service as found on internet but after start command it shows error (job for lightdm.service failed because the control process exited with error code. “See systemctl status lightdm.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details

Result of systemctl status lightdm.service

What about the display manager coming with KDE? Isnt that sddm? Has it been disabled / stopped?

What is/var/log/Xorg.0.log telling?

i manage to enable sddm and now i am back on track, thanx mbod

again tried to apply cinnamon enviroment but same problem persists, can anyone help to get lightdm fixed so that i can use cinnamon enviroment

Why do you NEED Lightdm? Is sddm not fine? Your “same” error, you mean lightdm and boot failure?
Does Cinnamon start from sddm?
Check for errors

journalctl -p3
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log*
1 Like

i dont need lightdm, i just follow the process to install cinnamon enviroment found on wiki manjaro, i dont know that cinnamon can also be run from sddm. pls tell the procedure for that

Boot to TTY editing grub menu

Login and run

sudo systemctl disable lightdm
sudo systemctl enable sddm
sudo systemctl start sddm
1 Like
sudo systemctl enable --now sddm

This will also work instead of “enable” and “start”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by