Switching to manjaro full time!

And what about what Jim.b said, if i delete butlocker partition and then keep all that gree spce as a media partition amd store downloads and stuff there will there be problems?

one more question i know im rookie i have no understanding of the file system at all, should i just back up everything? like entire root partition and also entire home partition?

Use Timeshift to create snapshots of your system, and use back-in-time to create backups of everything in /home.

It’s not worth capturing everything - I did this once with Timeshift, setting it up badly. When I came to restore, it failed - over 2 million lines to parse took forever!!!

Amongst those - stuff like ‘Plex thumnails’ and ‘.cache’ folders bring about 90% of the workload for useless stuff.

1 Like

That would be the easiest.
No problems to be expected.
No changes to the current system required - apart from adding an entry in /etc/fstab to mount that newly available partition somewhere.

2 Likes

Thanks

Personnaly i make a system fresh install of my main computer every 6 to 12 months to also force myself to have clean customizations (scripts etc). As for my system i have one part for system and another part for data, that way here again i can organize and backup it all correctly / independently without any risk of losing data.

In your case, maybe the first step would be to have a look at your Manjaro customization and see what could be optimized to make it easy to reinstall the day you have a crash. Then you could also test it with your windows partition deletion and full disk repartitionning / resinstallation, right after having backed it up all.

If done correctly a fresh install + testing should take less than one hour, which is nothing to have a totally fresh and correctly installed system.

PS: My usual thought for decades has always been : what if i lose all my HDD … and need to reinstall a new one immediatly because of an emergency at work ? And in any emergency case, the worst scenario is always the best i-e better have tested / trained on it before, to be ready to solve it, kowing that training is based on doing and redoing things to be sure that we know how it works the day we really need it.