Switching from XFCE to KDE on Pinebook Pro

Hello

I am new here and it’s been a couple of years since I used any Linux so I’m a bit rusty so please treat me like a noob :wink:
I installed Manjaro with XFCE on my Pinebook Pro ( it was oryginaly shipped with Debian) unfortunetelly there are two problems that I don’t have sufficient kung-fu tu resolve one is really shaky susspend ( system wakes up but then freezes) and the battery life droped from 6 hours on Debian to bearly 2-2.5h on Manjaro.
So I decided to try switching to kde. I followed the instructions here Install Desktop Environments - Manjaro

I was able to install the basic KDE Plasma but kde-applications,kdebase as well as all the manjaro configuration and theming packages cannot be found eg.

sudo pacman -S kde-application
error: target not found: kde-application

on the other hand if I try installing konsole it finds the package

$ sudo pacman -S konsole
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) konsole-20.04.3-1

Total Download Size:   1.14 MiB
Total Installed Size:  5.44 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

Any help will be appreciated, I’m running the 20.08 Manjaro Arm.

Thank you

It should be:
sudo pacman -S kde-applications

Yes I’m sorry obvious mistake this one actually works ( after changeing the typo ) ;), but I would prefer the minimal version if it’s possible

$ sudo pacman -S kdebase
error: target not found: kdebase
$ sudo pacman -S manjaro-kde-settings sddm-breath-theme manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier manjaro-settings-manager-kcm
error: target not found: manjaro-kde-settings
error: target not found: sddm-breath-theme
error: target not found: manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier

I copy pasted from the wiki page again to make sure I didn’t make any typos but still nothing.

Manjaro ARM is not the same as Manjaro x64.

In Manjaro ARM, we don’t use settings packages.
In Manjaro ARM, some software packages might be missing.

It is possible to switch from XFCE to KDE, but it will take a lot of manual work to set it up. Installing the right packages are easy.
The setup of themes, launchers and stuff is gonna take some time.

I would suggest a clean install from a KDE Plasma image.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help I will try that :slight_smile: