CLI installation

Hi I have been distro hopping for a while. But I have come to really like Manjaro, As it gives you a LTS version as well as the option run a cutting edge kernel.
Honestly Calamaris is not playing nice with me because I want F2FS. I have done proper installation of manjaro using the most famous CLI guide and arch f2fs guide. The guide that comes up 1st thing in the search window. I like f2fs because my system feels a lot snappier with it compared to ext4 without journal. I have been testing recently startup times for applications such games and resource intensive programming tools and its feel much faster. (atleast 10 to 20%) (for me it does not matter but I like to use whatever feels faster numerically)
I also use MuQss on my external drive and noop on my SSD as IO scheduler.
I have a few questions:

1. Is there any benefit to using MuQss on internal nvme SSD over noop?
  2. The CLI installation of gnome feels off because of how it need to switch windows. and it is a deal breaker for me. I am so used to switching with super+1 for example to switch to window one. With calamares only it is super + numberkey but with CLI it gets changed to `ctrl+alt+arrowkeys’ and super+number keys open applications. How to fix it using CLI method? because I cannot use F2fs with calamares even though the option is included.
  3. I used the following command for base installation and then I installed firefox sound driver and nvidia driver. My system seems to be working fine. but my installation size is like 10 gb but when I use calamares the size is 20 gb. What other important security related services/daemon/kernel modules am I missing?
basestrap /mnt base linux518 dhcpcd networkmanager grub mkinitcpio efibootmgr vi nano sudo

4)I just want to find a a good method of cli installation and do what calamares does so that i do not lose out on functionality and at the same I can use f2fs. Is there any way to find out what packages does calamares install? and how it sets up the gnome. if i set it up the key-binds are weird as hell.
5) I am the sole user in desktop. no one uses it. Therefore, I do not see the reason to have a user. I run everything on root when I use CLI installation. Suppose if Install with calamares how can I remove all users and just get prompted to login as root in the login screen

At the end of below topic - you find a section Recreate the live ISO edition

This one is from the archived forum - usb stick - using f2fs

1 Like

Thank you for your response. Recreating the iso seems very promising. I will do that. I will not yet close the ticket. I will impletement what you said. you have answered most of the questions if I get it to working except the IO scheduler. I will reiterate the questions I feel that has not been answered by you.

1. MuQss over NOOP on internal nvme or NOOP is good ? Arch did not have any clear explanation. My hdd is snappier with MuQss but I do not know if it will be good for SSD.
  2. Why do we have users? when there is only one user. Why is it not common practice to run everything on root?

Note:- My questions are purely for educational purpose and for figuring out the best manjaro setup for me.
Also, i do not know if it is relevant to any one I have also tested ZFS and compared it to F2fs. Hands down f2fs beats ZFS on application load time.

Scheduler - use what ever makes sense for you.

Because a GNU/Linux system is a networked multiuser system which requires user segregation especially for running network facing services.

But you can do as you please - it’s your system - your responsibility.

1 Like

I successfully installed and its working the way I want it to. Thank you so much. I have one last question. How can I activate zram properly? I tried it in my 1st installation and i got zram running but 7 different zram got created and then i disabled swap all of them went away. I could not get zram to start again using systemd. I am looking into zram generator as systemd is my prefered choice since its messing it up or I dont know what I am doing wrong

1 thing I am not understanding still. I am sorry for the noob questions because I started using linux like 4 month ago due to completing my 1st NRF52 SOC embedded production work that was outsourced by a company and I used ubuntu. Ubuntu is a great distro, but it is a distro I do not see myself using. Also I am very young so I actually did not get much time to get into computer systems like linux. I am only 17 at the moment. I started coding in c on windows at a very young age and did not get much experience in Unix/linux like systems. So, the concept of swap is still new to me.
Question: Do I need to have a swap partition to use Zram. or Could I just not make a swap partition at installation and follow what you shared and get zram running?
Thank you for your patience and answers and assistance.

my crude explanation:

zram means: compressed RAM

A part or all of your RAM is taken to be compressed, so it “appears” bigger", more will fit into it.
It trades some computing power needed for compressing and decompressing
for what amount of RAM the system can use - more than what is physically available.

swap is the windows equivalent of pagefile.sys

It is there to provide for situations where the amount of RAM would not be enough to allow for all storage needs of the running programs.
It is slower to access because it is … not RAM.

the upshot is:
zram cannot replace a swap (file) unless you have enough RAM at all times.

and then there is zswap also - and the combination zramswap :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.