Switch from Speaker to Headphone (without unplug headphones)?

Hi to everyone
My question is: there is some method to switch from speaker to headphones wothout unplug the headphones?
When i’ve the headphones plugged and i select the “Line Out” from gnome-control-center it’s all muted, because the heahphone are plugged.
I would like can switch from one to other without touch nothing cable.

In pratice i need to separate the two lines audio. Rear jack (where i’ve the speakers) and front jack (where i’ve the headphones).
On Windows that is simple, just need change option in software driver menu of audio card.
But on Linux (Manjaro in my case) that is complicated. I’ve searched online but without result tangible

If you would like help me it will much apprecciated
Thank you

If you change Auto-Mute Mode in alsamixer to Disabled the audio to rear jack will not be muted when headphones are plugged in

If Windows driver allows audio codec to use independent channels for front and rear jacks
it should be possible to implement this on Linux using hdajackretask

1. install package alsa-tools that provides the retask tool

pamac install alsa-tools

2. run hdajackretask with root privileges - sudo hdajackretask
    ensure onboard audio codec is selected (not GPU or onboard HDMI audio device)

3. Enable option Parser hints and double-click the hint indep_hp to change it from default to yes

1. click Install boot override and reboot to reload ALSA with parser hint

Thank you for the reply
But i can not find alsa-tools or hdajackretask in my software manager
Maybe these packets are into others package?
Or wath?

I’ve found it, it’s in a packet called Echomixer (alsa-tools)
I’ve followed your guide but the line Out remain muted with the headphone connected :frowning:

Please post more information about ALSA audio devices

sudo alsa-info.sh --upload

i have a laptop where i have to unplug the headphones to be able to use the speakers.
i didn’t bother much to find a solution.
so it’s not only you.

Here there are my informations from sudo alsa-info.sh --upload
http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=e84ebe127117ad66c5146a716bcdd1475a2eb393

Anyway thank you for your help and your time

Laptop users usually prefer to leave Auto-Mute Mode in alsamixer set to Enabled so that internal speakers are muted when headphones are plugged in

If disabling Auto-Mute Mode is not sufficient to get audio playing to both speakers and headphones, use hdajackretask to change Parser hint jack_detect from default to no

Yeah !
It’s worked fine, thank you :smiley:

ALSA data shows parser hint for independent headphone channel worked to create a 2nd analog audio subdevice ALCS1200A Alt Analog

!!Aplay/Arecord output
!!--------------------

card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALCS1200A Analog [ALCS1200A Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 2: ALCS1200A Alt Analog [ALCS1200A Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

ALSA data shows Auto-Mute Mode set to Enabled

!!-------Mixer controls for card Generic

Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Enabled'

But if you have used parser hint jack_detect to disable jack detection, the mixer control is redundant and probably no longer present in alsamixer

So what? Sorry but I didn’t quite understand
Do you mean don’t necessary to have auto-mute in alsamixer?

If you used the parser hint to disable jack detection, mixer control Auto-Mute Mode is either no longer loaded or no longer working

Auto-Mute Mode may or may not have stopped working when you implemented the first parser hint to create 2nd analog audio channel
Many audio codecs do not support 2 audio channels, but I have seen it working previously on other systems with Realtek ALC1200/1220 codecs

1 Like

Thank you, now it’s clear

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.