Swap memory is being used for no reason

You cannot compare those two concepts.

LTS kernels are regular kernels that were found to be of exceptional code quality and stability, and that are thus being kept updated with security patches and bug fixes even when the development of the mainline kernel moves on and comes to adapt new functionality and new features.

I would always recommend an LTS kernel over a non-LTS kernel, but sometimes people have hardware that is only fully supported in a kernel of a later version, and then an LTS kernel is not an option for them. The reason I’m still on 5.4 is that it’s a very good kernel and it works perfectly well with my hardware.

RT kernels are an entirely different thing. An RT kernel has been patched with real-time patches, which makes it more suitable for very precise multimedia processing operations, where timing is of the essence. They are only required for those particular circumstances, and for most everything else — including everyday multimedia needs — a non-RT kernel is just as good.

As the matter of fact, sometimes an RT kernel introduces problems that do not occur with a non-RT kernel. After all, if the RT patches were really bulletproof, then they would be standard in all kernels, wouldn’t they be? :wink:

P.S.: All of this is actually off-topic. The subject of the thread has been adequately addressed already. :slight_smile:

Thanks, But which should I use ??

Use an LTS kernel if possible, or a currently supported mainline kernel — right now, that would be 5.18 — if your hardware requires support more recent than what is available in 5.15 LTS.

2 Likes

Inside the kde partitioning tool (I could imagine it’s possible in gparted also) you can deactivate it. But I don’t know if this is permanent.

The command line approach would be:
edit the file /etc/fstab - put a hash mark in front of the line that defines the swap partition

for example:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Here is that line for my swap file:
/swapfile none swap defaults 0 0
afterward it looks like this:
# /swapfile none swap defaults 0 0

The hash mark and everything after it is then considered a comment and not interpreted
that way disabling the swap.
Remove the hash mark and your swap will be active again when you reboot.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.