swap amdgpu - amdgpu-pro easily?

I know this is a well discussed topic , but i cannot wrap my head around it (yet). What I want to do: I would like to try the amdgpu-pro drivers for the graphics card i got (RX480) to see how it behaves with Lightworks and other NLE´s I am using. Is there a safe way to try this? like another boot mode that uses the pro version..? I usually do not touch any graphics stuff as in the past usually I just made things worse :wink:

Also I would like to try to run davinci resolve on my computer and i guess for that i would need amdgpu-pro. ....

thank you :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just open MHWD (Manjaro Hardware Detection) and choose proprietary driver. Then reboot.

You can find it in Manjaro Settings.

1 Like

fantastic, I will try, fingers crossed

I think amdgpu-pro packages are only available from AUR. I could be wrong but they aren't listed in Octopi unless I specifically search AUR with trizen. If that is the case then it won't be so easy unfortunately.

Also, the performance of amdgpu versus amdgpu-pro in those particular applications with your hardware shouldn't be big enough to warrant the hassle. I highly recommend you take a backup using Timeshift before you do anything so you can roll the changes back should it go wrong.

I don't believe the proprietary drivers are available as a separate package on Manjaro. It might be limited so that you have to use MHWD to install them to cause less issues.

thanks for the hints and help.

@ micsim35 i think you re right, when i go into mhwd i already see "proprietary driver" checked, but i have no amdgpu-pro installed i think.

my inxi -G sais:

inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting
tty: N/A
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10 DRM 3.32.0
5.2.1-1-MANJARO LLVM 8.0.0)
v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.2

Huh... I guess you will need to install from AUR then (the more you know)

I don't really believe your card will perform any better with 2D video editing than it would with the amdgpu driver. amdgpu-pro is more for 3D work.

yeah i came to the conclusion I will not risk the stability of my system atm only to try the amdgpu-pro drivers. I had the impression to get davinci resolve to run I would need the -pro drivers, but with their weird "linux support" their requirements seem to change all the time, so i wont go that route for now...

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.