Suggestion Needed [PDF READER]

Hello,
I need a good PDF reader. I am a BSc Engineering student. I spend a lot of time working and studying documents which are mostly provided in PDF format.

I need to use text highlighting and write comments [like a sticky note on a page].

When I was in windows, I used adobe reader DC and that worked great for me. Do you have any suggestion?

foxit PDF reader is quite good, they have a linux version for download on their website

The AUR package seems to have very old dependencies.

1 Like

that's why I didn't use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am new and I don't know what old dependency is. Can you explain what's wrong with old dependency?

What do you use and why do you use that?

I mean by that comment that I use the original installer from the foxit website

They can cause a mismatch with installed libraries on the system and in that case the package will fail to build or run.

1 Like

have a look at masterpdfeditor as well (but, I'd go for an older version)...

the masterpdfeditor-free is version 4 (no watermarks)...

I even liked version 3 the best, but can't find it anymore for Manjaro

Okular is installed by default in KDE Plasma (that you seem to use) and does a decent job. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Depends on your Desktop Environment (DE).

I use Okular for KDE Plasma DE.

Has all I need and probably more.

Post Script: Highlighting is activated by going to Tools and Ticking Review box.

5 Likes

Okular here as well.

3 Likes

Hi, Sage
Okular has all the features you need, text highlight, sticky notes on a page, you can also include comments. All these features are available pressing F6.
Regards

3 Likes

For years, I do all my academic readings in Okular. It is fast, easy to use, has many features (highlighting, notes, comments, etc.). Give it a try.

4 Likes

I also use Okular and I do a lot of paper reading and note taking. It works perfectly. Lately, when under heavy load, it sometimes hangs rendering a specific document and needs to be restarted, but besides that it is awesome.

1 Like

And +1 Okular it has what do you looking for.
Wps-Office also has pdf viewer it looks Adobe pdf reader.

1 Like

The only thing I miss in Okular is exporting/inserting pages, OCR and other structuring tools. For that I use pdftk together with imagemagick and tesseract.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your valuable comments. I have decided to stick with ocular.

2 Likes

Last year I need some OCR things to work on but I guess there is lots of time for really good OCR support on Linux.

1 Like

I use this script for OCR. It converts page for each CPU (but waits until all pages are done before starting another batch - this can be changed). The languages can be trimmed to your needs (less languages, more speed). I'm not sure this is the current version because I make some adjustments sometimes, but it shouldn't be very different. I think it only works on multiple page documents. I use it to batch-convert scanned pdfs.

2 Likes

I'm a fan of zathura myself. The only big feature I need with pdfs is password support, and zathura just works in that aspect.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark