In the old forums, I used to frequent the Newbie Corner subforum. While I understand why it was removed (as explained here, for example
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/missing-newbies/3861/9), I miss how visible it was as a separate support forum.
Today I came for the first time to the new forums because of an issue with the display of emojis, but it took me quite a while to actually find the appropriate place to ask the question. I believe the reason was the difference in visibility of both subforums:
Newbie Corner used to be the first support subforum (4th, subforum total:
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/), and by name and purpose to me it was like a beacon. I had a question that I couldn’t solve on my own, and I quickly had a place where to ask it.
Contrast with Support - General. It is very hidden. So much, that it doesn’t appear on my screen by default, I had to scroll to see the Support subforums. Furthermore, Support is filled with several subcategories in apparent random order, currently:
- Installation, Boot & UEFI
- Graphic Cards & HDPI
- 3rd party applications
- Network & WIFI
- Manjaro Hardware
- Software & Applications
It personally took me quite a while to find it. At the beginning I even considered that there was no “General” category, or that I should be asking at the Desktop forums (as they appear earlier). I also quickly checked some of the “New to the forum” posts, but I couldn’t find that information either.
I believe the flow for a new user looking for help should be the following:
- Easily find the “Support” category
- See first the General subforum, so they know there is a place where they can ask.
- Notice that there are more specific subforums that could be more helpful.
I don’t know what tools are available to make it more visible, but I have some ideas that maybe could help:
- Move the General category to the first Support category
- It could also be interesting to sort the rest alphabetically
- Move the “Support” category over the “Desktops & Windows Managers” category. Three reasons:
- “Desktops & Windows Managers” is also for support. It appearing first gave me the impression that it’s the first place to ask questions.
- It hides the “Support” category, making users have to scroll to even see it.
- Inexperienced users usually don’t make a distinction between system and desktop environment, so it may be more natural to ask questions in the Desktop forums because, well, they are using a desktop environment.
- Perhaps go back to the older format of listing the categories, instead of showing also the latest posts. That way more categories fit on the screen at the same time, as in the old forums.
I guess the forums are still quite new because of the forced remodeling, and I’m unsure if this is just a “me” problem or something that more people are and will experience, but I wanted to make my voice heard.
EDIT: This is offtopic, but seriously it is not allowed to link even these own forums?