[root tip] [How To] Removing a flatpak app

A recent topic which went really confusing.

The app in question was https://flathub.org/apps/details/io.lbry.lbry-app

I created this as the final comment in a topic but then I thought - instead of hiding in a topic - let’s get it visible. This guide - although targeted a specific issue - it can be applied for any flatpak application or situation where an app becomes stubborn or when you are in an impossible loop condition.

Uninstall a flatpak

1. List installed flatpaks

$ flatpak list

Name                        Application ID                             Version         Branch       Installation
    LBRY                        io.lbry.lbry-app                           0.52.4          stable       system
    Freedesktop Platform        org.freedesktop.Platform                   21.08.11        21.08        system
    Mesa                        org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default        21.3.6          21.08        system
    openh264                    org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264          2.1.0           2.0          system
    Breeze GTK theme            org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Breeze                                   3.22         system

2. Remove a named app

$ flatpak uninstall io.lbry.lbry-app

ID                             Branch        Op
     1. [-] io.lbry.lbry-app               stable        r
     2. [-] io.lbry.lbry_app.Locale        stable        r

Uninstall complete.

3. Uninstall unused flatpaks

$ flatpak uninstall --unused

ID                                           Branch          Op
     1. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default          21.08           r
     2. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264            2.0             r
     3. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform                     21.08           r
     4. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.Locale              21.08           r
     5. [-] org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Breeze                     3.22            r

Uninstall complete.

4. Uninstalling apps may not remove everything - so how much is left?

du -ch /var/lib/flatpak

5. If the total is more than a few MB you may want to cleanup leftovers

sudo flatpak repair

Disable flatpak support

This part on disabling and removing flatpak support is optional. If you intend to install other flatpak apps using Pamac there is no need to continue with this part.

Navigate to Pamac preferences (Third party tab) and disable flatpak or edit the config by hand using a terminal editor (nano, micro, vi - what ever comes natural to you)

$ sudo micro /etc/pamac.conf

Modify the last lines to look like below and save the changes (you will also find snap support) but as this is about flatpak leave as is.

#CheckFlatpakUpdates

#EnableFlatpak

Then remove flatpak packages using pacman

$ sudo pacman -Rns flatpak libpamac-flatpak-plugin

Then update your system

$ sudo pacman -Syu

Finally restart your system

8 Likes

Good morning from Brasil!

I’m a user who is disgusted with “snap or faltpak” and I always remove full support for these types of packaging.

With this I come to inform you that: pamac does not remove as shown in this message or in the Wiki and also that with the removal of the libpamac-flatpak-plugin dependency, ostree is also removed.

That’s why I ask you to review both the message here on the forum and the article on the Manjaro Wiki

Sorry my bad english

T+ = See you later